Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Curse the gods, I'm losing the ability to have self control (Ferrari)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      07-22-2012 10:53 AM #1

Since I was a kid the only car that has ever mattered to me was/is and always will be the Ferrari F40. I have made it my (car world) life goal to one day own one- and I am in a financial position now where the dream could become a reality. BUT- I simply don't have the garage space/parking space with my current home and with a newborn in my life it isn't the right time to purchase another weekend toy.

My friends do enjoy torturing me though- and recently a 1992, one owner, 4900mile, all original F40 hit the open market... and it's less than an hours drive from me. It even has the visible kevlar weave and factory original coded adjustable suspension arms

Comes with full records/receipts and has recently been re-commisioned by Ferrari for a 20 year complete vehicle check and repair. In other words... it's quite possibly the best condition F40 on the planet and one of the few to have adjustable arms and one of the only 1 owner examples in existence. It's....

Called the dealer and left a message requesting a return call. The price isn't listed anywhere and my two friends have given me quotes that have a 50k swing. So the actual price is unknown to me. If the price is market fair and not outlandish then I might just pull the trigger (and have no idea where to store the car until I move in the fall).

07-22-2012 11:00 AM #2
      I have a 4-car garage with 2 open spaces. I'll give you the opener code and the keys to both my and my wife's cars, in case you need to move one. Hell, I won't even charge you rent.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC, 2004 330i ZHP, 1997 Impreza L (WRX swapped), 1999 Monster 750
      07-22-2012 11:02 AM #3
      I hate you.

Adopt me (children often tell their parents they hate them...right?)
      If you can do it, I wouldn't let anything stand in your way. It sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity for a once in a lifetime car.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Jetta GLI VR6
      07-22-2012 11:04 AM #4
      Jelly as can be. Let's be friend's so I can somehow try to live vicariously through your car adventures.

Vehicles
      Sedan and Van in white
      07-22-2012 11:09 AM #5

6. Banner Advertiser brad@fifteen52's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1988 BMW M3 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      07-22-2012 11:12 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      I have a 4-car garage with 2 open spaces. I'll give you the opener code and the keys to both my and my wife's cars, in case you need to move one. Hell, I won't even charge you rent.
      Think it through, Mike.

No doubt OP will truly have the ability to win every internet battle ("Oh yeah? I have an F40..."), but guess who'll be on deck to provide photographic evidence each and every time?

7. 07-22-2012 11:16 AM #7
      If you can swing for a minimum 400,000 pound car, and can't pull off rented garage space somewhere for a few months, you can't really afford a 400,000 pound car.

There are also a shameful multitude of sub-1000 mile cars floating around out there. Maybe not in this exact spec, but they come up regularly.

Regardless, I say buy it.

07-22-2012 11:21 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by brad@fifteen52 View Post
      Think it through, Mike.

No doubt OP will truly have the ability to win every internet battle ("Oh yeah? I have an F40..."), but guess who'll be on deck to provide photographic evidence each and every time?
      I'll subscribe to the newspaper solely for the purpose of providing a response to "take a picture of it with today's paper" type requests.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      2010 USDM VW GTI
      07-22-2012 11:21 AM #9
      Im in East England. You can store it @ my house Gated community with about 200 armed guards.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      07-22-2012 11:21 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by tgodbout View Post
      If you can swing for a minimum 400,000 pound car, and can't pull off rented garage space somewhere for a few months, you can't really afford a 400,000 pound car.

There are also a shameful multitude of sub-1000 mile cars floating around out there. Maybe not in this exact spec, but they come up regularly.

Regardless, I say buy it.
      It isn't a matter of price. London garage parking is pretty difficult right now with the Olympics (I could always rent a 1 car garage but they're mostly in dodgy areas). Worst case scenario I could just store my Subaru in my friend's garage outside London and keep the F40 in my garage.

Vehicles
      E46 M3, XJ Cherokee
      07-22-2012 11:22 AM #11
      Parking space is whats hold you up? It's an F40, make space.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      07-22-2012 11:24 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by InternetMeme View Post
      My friends do enjoy torturing me though- and recently a 1992, one owner, 4900mile, all original F40 hit the open market... and it's less than an hours drive from me.
      You live in London, right? An hour away is.... what.... six blocks?

If you don't have a place to put this car, then why bother getting it? A car like this deserves a proper garage where you can make a nice environment around it. You aren't going to be driving it every day or anywhere near close, so all you'll end up doing is dropping half a million pounds into being able to say you own something but not be able to enjoy it.

It'd be like dating a hot supermodel who won't let you fu-k her.

Plus you're going to be a father shortly -- if you give half a sh-t about doing that correctly, you simply won't have enough time for yet another a fancy new car.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      07-22-2012 11:24 AM #13
      never has a thread been more appropriate for this annoying slang born of the interwebz.

YOLO

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      07-22-2012 11:25 AM #14
      If you're really serious, take your queries to FerrariChat.com. They will know the entire life history of the car if you can provide the serial number.

15. Banner Advertiser brad@fifteen52's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1988 BMW M3 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      07-22-2012 11:26 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      I'll subscribe to the newspaper solely for the purpose of providing a response to "take a picture of it with today's paper" type requests.
      Well played

Vehicles
      2005 MCS "Hyper Blue", 2006 330ci "Silver Grey"
      07-22-2012 11:27 AM #16

it's beautiful
      pardon my 'merican

17. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      07-22-2012 11:28 AM #17
      You don't mind that the fit and finish of this thing looks like a kit car built by chimps? If not then go for it. The engineering under that poorly fit bodywork is pretty amazing.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      06 GTI UM Tuned
      07-22-2012 11:28 AM #18
      i cant believe im saying this but sell the 22b for effs sake its an f40 man id sell my liver and my family members livers to own one

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      07-22-2012 11:35 AM #19
      I would sell all my toys and my DD and convert to taking a beater Corolla to work for the rest of my life if I could have the room/finances to buy one of these. It is definitely my all time favorite car and if I had the means would get one without question.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      07-22-2012 11:39 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by QWKDTSN View Post
      If you're really serious, take your queries to FerrariChat.com. They will know the entire life history of the car if you can provide the serial number.
      Been a member there for 3-4 years now

I already know the entire history of the car as well. The two price I got were from members there and the car is pretty well known in the circle of owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Obin Robinson View Post
      You don't mind that the fit and finish of this thing looks like a kit car built by chimps? If not then go for it. The engineering under that poorly fit bodywork is pretty amazing.

obin
      It's called character Obin

All the Ferrari's before the 360 suffered from poorly painted body panels, wavy paint, etc. Ferrari finally got it together when they modernized their facilities and put it all under one roof.

Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      If you don't have a place to put this car, then why bother getting it? A car like this deserves a proper garage where you can make a nice environment around it. You aren't going to be driving it every day or anywhere near close, so all you'll end up doing is dropping half a million pounds into being able to say you own something but not be able to enjoy it.

It'd be like dating a hot supermodel who won't let you fu-k her.

Plus you're going to be a father shortly -- if you give half a sh-t about doing that correctly, you simply won't have enough time for yet another a fancy new car.
      I have a place to store the car, my home has a garage. Just need to store one of the others cars in a garage. And I'm already a father- Emma loves the Subaru

I work a lot. And by a lot I mean 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week right now. The only time I have to myself is when I'm driving my car- so I enjoy having fun cars. I also view them as art and enjoy having a beer and just staring at them while decompressing from the day. My daughter is my world though- I make time for her no matter what.

A couple of posters on this forum know about my F40 obsession and It's been my dream for a long time to own one. This is simply of the cleanest examples to hit the market in over a year. I sit around now and play pros and cons, but get me in the dealership and I'll be writing a check in 5 minutes.

21. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      07-22-2012 11:45 AM #21
      Wow- beautiful car.

My luck- I would buy it and on the drive home the engine would regurgitate the valve train, or I would miss a shift and spin out in to a ditch.

How durable are these?
      I know there was a time when Ferrari meant fragile (*just like all Italian exotics used to be*).

Still, it is a beautiful car.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

22. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      07-22-2012 12:24 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Wow- beautiful car.

My luck- I would buy it and on the drive home the engine would regurgitate the valve train, or I would miss a shift and spin out in to a ditch.

How durable are these?
      I know there was a time when Ferrari meant fragile (*just like all Italian exotics used to be*).

Still, it is a beautiful car.
      I wouldn't say any pre 2000's Ferrari is exactly durable. The F40 was a showcase car and the last hurrah for Enzo. It encompassed Ferrari's ultimate vision of performance, speed and agility. As with any high end sports car it isn't without high maintenance costs and scheduled repairs but I would say the F40 is one of the more 'reliable' of the older Ferrari's. But when you have to repair/replace a part it's pretty unbelievably expensive due to the age of the car, limited production of parts and lack of certified mechanics. But... it's not the most unreliable car Ferrari ever made.

The F40 is a bear to drive though. Massive front tires, no power steering and a large turning radius means it's not the easiest car to drive on the streets or even park. The power is also instantaneous in spool and acceleration is ferocious. Aside from the F50 it's easily the most purpose built car Ferrari ever built and in my opinion their best.

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      07-22-2012 12:34 PM #23
      Jelly that's it. I have only seen one of this once. Didn't you recently get the BMW for family hauling purposes. Just saying that If it was up to me I would make this happen.
      In for a comparison between the Subaru vs the F40.
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

24. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      07-22-2012 12:37 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by InternetMeme View Post
      The F40 is a bear to drive though. Massive front tires, no power steering and a large turning radius means it's not the easiest car to drive on the streets or even park. The power is also instantaneous in spool and acceleration is ferocious. Aside from the F50 it's easily the most purpose built car Ferrari ever built and in my opinion their best.
      And I think that's the appeal for me.... it hearkens back to when you had to really drive a super car. The car was not designed/compromised so 90 lb debutantes could wear them as an accessory.
      The manual steering basically guarantees nobody is going to drive an F40 to an event just for the style.
      And that also explains the typically low mileage- well that, and the high cost of maintenance and repairs.
      Driving the car is an experience to be cherished without distraction.
      It's the exact opposite of a daily driver.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

25. 07-22-2012 12:46 PM #25
      What's the chance of finding another in this conditon and low miles?

Buy it.

Vehicles
      '10 S4 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      07-22-2012 12:49 PM #26
      Here's my take on it: I'm in my early 30's and have spent only 25% of my life with my dad as he lives in another country. But when I was a teenager he taught me how to drive on a '76 Fiat, so deep down I have always liked them, despite their poor reliability.

Last year I knew he was coming to visit for a few weeks and with his health deteriorating, I intensified my search for a vintage Fiat and ended up finding a real gem in terms of looks, lack of rust, and interior quality. I didn't need to get it then and I didn't have the space, but I pulled the trigger which allowed me to take several photos of myself and dad in the car, on Christmas morning as it turned out. Now I'm not sure when I'll see him again, but at least I have those memories.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer or make any direct comparison, but if you like the F40 as much as it appears, then the real question is when you'll buy it, not if.

27. 07-22-2012 01:21 PM #27
      Wow that's beautiful, jump on it!

near the Gandy, Frankland and Sunshine Skyway
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      07-22-2012 01:35 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by DawnsKayBug View Post
      Im in East England. You can store it @ my house Gated community with about 200 armed guards.

But do they have any tanks or even Harriers to fend off an attack by the jealous hoards?

Vehicles
      2011 Rustang. Secretary Edition.
      07-22-2012 01:47 PM #29
      There is honestly no reason not to buy it.

Here is a thought. Is it being sold by a private owner or a dealership?
      If its a dealership, you might work something out where they can still display the car, but you own it and can take it out on short notice. If they have certified mechanics to service the thing, it might be better to have it stored at their location anyway for when things go wrong.

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      07-22-2012 02:02 PM #30
      if you have the cash, GO FOR IT!
      personally, my all time favorite

regarding servicing them. I have seen the threads about how expensive 355s are to service, with engine builds and all

how bad are the f40s?

31. 07-22-2012 02:13 PM #31
      Only live once my friend and you can't take it with you. There's probably not too many F40 owners out there that think to themselves, "Damn, I should've never bought that car."

32. 07-22-2012 02:19 PM #32
      Can I come to London and get a ride?

near the Gandy, Frankland and Sunshine Skyway
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      07-22-2012 02:24 PM #33
      The F40 looked cool but its a death trap and a maintenance nightmare. Oh and a lot caught on fire.

07-22-2012 02:27 PM #34
      "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

-Ferris Bueller

35. Member
      Vehicles
      996 Cup, S600 (TTV12), 560sec 6L AMG, E36 track car, and some others...
      07-22-2012 02:35 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      The F40 looked cool but its a death trap and a maintenance nightmare. Oh and a lot caught on fire.

Skip to 0:30 and enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YPabCzxMXM
      'I don't like driving a car with traction-control lights flashing all the time. It's like having sex in a wetsuit'
      Horacio Pagani

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast