Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Curse the gods, I'm losing the ability to have self control (Ferrari)

Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 1999 A4 2.8
      07-22-2012 03:53 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by TisforTurbo View Post
      Parking space is whats hold you up? It's an F40, make space.
      This. DO IT.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      07-22-2012 04:15 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by InternetMeme View Post
      Worst case scenario I could just store my Subaru in my friend's garage outside London and keep the F40 in my garage.
      I'd almost consider keeping the F40 out of London. London is hard on cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

3. 07-22-2012 04:24 PM #38
      It isn't a matter of price. London garage parking is pretty difficult right now with the Olympics (I could always rent a 1 car garage but they're mostly in dodgy areas). Worst case scenario I could just store my Subaru in my friend's garage outside London and keep the F40 in my garage.
      This seems like such an odd thread. I hate to be the typical douchebag questioning the finances but you are legitimately looking at a $2mil+ car and are concerned about $50k price swings and where to park it for the next month of so (expected olympic tourism hassle)? Your other two cars seem pretty mundane in comparison so hock one of them in the meantime to pay the price swing differential and solve the parking hassle. If you have the coin to buy a collector's condition F40, you can +/- $20k-ish daily driver cars with relative ease...

I may be waaaay off base and I apologize if so but otherwise....

The F40 is a car that I believe would actually bring me to tears if I ever had the opportunity to ride along in one and see boost. This is the car that needs no explanation; no justification. Just pure adoration...
      Last edited by vwgtiIII; 07-22-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      07-22-2012 04:39 PM #39
      $2M? I think they are $600-700k, not $2M.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      07-22-2012 04:49 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiIII View Post
      This seems like such an odd thread. I hate to be the typical douchebag questioning the finances but you are legitimately looking at a $2mil+ car and are concerned about $50k price swings and where to park it for the next month of so (expected olympic tourism hassle)? Your other two cars seem pretty mundane in comparison so hock one of them in the meantime to pay the price swing differential and solve the parking hassle. If you have the coin to buy a collector's condition F40, you can +/- $20k-ish daily driver cars with relative ease...

I may be waaaay off base and I apologize if so but otherwise....

The F40 is a car that I believe would actually bring me to tears if I ever had the opportunity to ride along in one and see boost. This is the car that needs no explanation; no justification. Just pure adoration...
      You are indeed way off. It isn't a 2 million dollar car. It's ~600,000usd. Quite a few f40 owners and dealers have unrealistic prices and are trying to inflate the market. This same car last year would fetch around 450k, so Im not going to overpay 200k for the car and let a few sleazy people create a false market and let dealers take advantage of people. There's a reason the market is flooded with f40s and not selling unless they're under 500k.

Nothing about my current cars are mundane either. Truth be told, both sports cars I own essentially match the f40 in performance. People keep assuming finding parking is what's keeping me from this purchase. It isn't a big determining factor. Price isn't a big factor either from the basis of personal wealth.

I don't care who you are, when you spend a half million plus dollars on a car you have to take everything in to consideration. It isn't the same as pulling the trigger on a Hyundai. But as I've done with every car I've purchased- I play mind games with myself but when I finally go to the dealer I end up buying it. I'm extremely impulsive- which isn't always a good thing.

Vehicles
      IGP CC E30 vert
      07-22-2012 05:05 PM #41
      You are indeed way off. It isn't a 2 million dollar car. It's ~600,000usd. Quite a few f40 owners and dealers have unrealistic prices and are trying to inflate the market. This same car last year would fetch around 450k, so Im not going to overpay 200k for the car and let a few sleazy people create a false market and let dealers take advantage of people. There's a reason the market is flooded with f40s and not selling unless they're under 500k.

Nothing about my current cars are mundane either. Truth be told, both sports cars I own essentially match the f40 in performance. People keep assuming finding parking is what's keeping me from this purchase. It isn't a big determining factor. Price isn't a big factor either from the basis of personal wealth.

I don't care who you are, when you spend a half million plus dollars on a car you have to take everything in to consideration. It isn't the same as pulling the trigger on a Hyundai. But as I've done with every car I've purchased- I play mind games with myself but when I finally go to the dealer I end up buying it. I'm extremely impulsive- which isn't always a good thing.
      X2, but I'm still around the $5k-less range. I completely understand what you're saying as I collect guns. Sometimes it's worth to overpay, but that is seldom. It seems like this piece of art is worth overpaying. It's not just an f40 to you, it's the perfect f40 to you. To me, I'd pay 30% more for a dream to come true. Money comes and moneys spent. It's important, but a dream can never be sacrificed.
      #nutswungnation
      @thefirstbruce
      Come hang with us

Vehicles
      04 Audi A4 Avant, 95 Audi S6 Avant
      07-22-2012 05:21 PM #42
      I agree, for me the F40 is the best Ferrari out there. The problem I see with this one, is that if i bought an f40 with less then 5k miles on it, i would feel like i shouldn't drive it. I personally would rather buy one that has some miles on it and i wouldn't feel bad about using it.

8. 07-22-2012 07:39 PM #43
      When are you ever going to get another chance to buy what you described as "...quite possibly the best condition F40 on the planet..."?

Buy it.

9. 07-22-2012 07:43 PM #44
      "Im not going to overpay 200k for the car and let a few sleazy people create a false market and let dealers take advantage of people. There's a reason the market is flooded with f40s and not selling unless they're under 500k".

Yes, but I would expect you to pay more than the average market price for a pristine example.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      07-22-2012 07:55 PM #45
      but it NOW.
      welcome to the layer cake

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      07-22-2012 08:00 PM #46
      i can hang onto it for you... plenty of room for an f car in my shop

12. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      07-22-2012 08:04 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by bbk View Post
      "Im not going to overpay 200k for the car and let a few sleazy people create a false market and let dealers take advantage of people. There's a reason the market is flooded with f40s and not selling unless they're under 500k".

Yes, but I would expect you to pay more than the average market price for a pristine example.
      The vast majority of F40's with 7,000-15,000km are selling for around 500-580kusd with a handful under 500k. Once we get in the 650-750k range I start looking at F50's. But if this particular F40 is as clean and pristine as I'm told and have seen in photographs then I wouldn't have an issue paying a higher price.

I want to physically see the car, have my friend inspect it and give me his thumbs up and if everything looks solid I'll buy the car. From there I'll have it towed to my home, pushed in to the garage and try to figure out some free time to actually drive it

13. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW E36 M3, 70 Charger R/T, 68 Charger R/T, 05 GMC Z71
      07-22-2012 09:17 PM #48
      Mother of god....

I'd keep it in my bed room and sleep outside if need be. What a car.

14. 07-22-2012 09:27 PM #49
      This isn't your F10 M5 by chance is it?

Vehicles
      02 S2000, '68 Mini Pickup
      07-22-2012 09:29 PM #50
      ... I'll have it towed to my home, pushed in to the garage and try to figure out some free time to actually drive it
      you sir have quite the stable and I am jealous of your 22b and this potential car

Either way you end up going, thumbs up for thinking it through and making sure you're happy in the end.

Vehicles
      MkV R32, Focus Electric
      07-22-2012 09:29 PM #51
      Curse the gods!
      About possibly buying a Ferrari F40?!?!?!

If only I had such first world problems.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80 (B4)
      07-22-2012 09:34 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid_Hatch View Post
      The problem I see with this one, is that if i bought an f40 with less then 5k miles on it, i would feel like i shouldn't drive it. I personally would rather buy one that has some miles on it and i wouldn't feel bad about using it.
      Same thoughts though I'd guess with just about any F40 those kinds of feelings would arise. Cars are meant to be driven but just maybe one as pristine as this should go to someone with the facilities at least to keep it as such.

I'd probably rather go for one that's been daily driven and has been cared for but isn't immaculate, if there is such a thing in the realm of F40's. (Pretty sure I've seen a few in that state)

18. Member
      Vehicles
      996 Cup, S600 (TTV12), 560sec 6L AMG, E36 track car, and some others...
      07-22-2012 09:36 PM #53
      The vast majority of F40's with 7,000-15,000km are selling for around 500-580kusd with a handful under 500k. Once we get in the 650-750k range I start looking at F50's. But if this particular F40 is as clean and pristine as I'm told and have seen in photographs then I wouldn't have an issue paying a higher price.

I want to physically see the car, have my friend inspect it and give me his thumbs up and if everything looks solid I'll buy the car. From there I'll have it towed to my home, pushed in to the garage and try to figure out some free time to actually drive it

Get in touch with Dave Helms, from Scuderia Rampante, if you haven't already. He's located in Boulder, CO, but he is a great resource for the F40s and any Ferrari for that matter. FWIW, he told me that he is now the only person with access to F40 head gaskets. I'm sure you know him from Fchat. I'm on there as well.

Cheers
      'I don't like driving a car with traction-control lights flashing all the time. It's like having sex in a wetsuit'
      Horacio Pagani

19. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      07-22-2012 10:25 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by PDing View Post
      This isn't your F10 M5 by chance is it?
      Not mine. My M5 is grey.

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Fahrer View Post
      Get in touch with Dave Helms, from Scuderia Rampante, if you haven't already. He's located in Boulder, CO, but he is a great resource for the F40s and any Ferrari for that matter. FWIW, he told me that he is now the only person with access to F40 head gaskets. I'm sure you know him from Fchat. I'm on there as well.

Cheers
      I haven't spoken to Dave in a long time, but I know who he is. Essentially the Ferrari go to guy. If I remember right he was the lead technician at Ferrari of Denver before he opened his own shop, no? I've always thought it's funny that one of the best Ferrari service guys is out of Colorado. Isn't exactly the place for RWD super cars... but there is A LOT of money in Colorado.

Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      07-22-2012 10:45 PM #55
      i say you make space for the garage

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 323i Touring and '98 BMW 523i Touring
      07-22-2012 10:45 PM #56
      Dude. Buy that. Now.

And then let's meet up, I'm coming to the UK in two weeks anyways, I expect you to have this car by then and meet with me just so I can drool all over it.
      www.tiefundbreit.com - The blog about German car culture and all things low and wide.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      07-22-2012 10:49 PM #57
      Isn't exactly the place for RWD super cars... but there is A LOT of money in Colorado.
      In the summer it sure is. Fun roads.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      07-22-2012 11:12 PM #58
      I'd rather wait for a 288 GTO.

Vehicles
      1995 urS6, 2005 A8L
      07-22-2012 11:32 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by TisforTurbo View Post
      Parking space is whats hold you up? It's an F40, make space.
      This

I'm pretty sure one of your other cars can stay outside for a few nights during this time. I can assure you they will not catch a cold. An opportunity like this one doesn't come along often.

Vehicles
      Puma GTE / Audi A3 8L
      07-22-2012 11:38 PM #60
      Seriously..........You can afford to own a F40 but can't afford to buy a ****ing house to put it inside of?

People who own F40 have climate controlled garages you bitch

26. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      07-22-2012 11:49 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by GTE77 View Post
      Seriously..........You can afford to own a F40 but can't afford to buy a ****ing house to put it inside of?

People who own F40 have climate controlled garages you bitch
      I'm moving in the Fall to a home outside the city with garage space for 8. Pretty sure I referenced the fact I'd need temporary parking for the car until I move, not permanent parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan PL S6 View Post
      This

I'm pretty sure one of your other cars can stay outside for a few nights during this time. I can assure you they will not catch a cold. An opportunity like this one doesn't come along often.
      Current home is below. I own 3 cars. 1 parks in the garage, 2 outside the house. I'm not allowed to have more than 2 cars parked outside my house and 2 is frowned upon by neighbors already how it is.

People keep bringing up parking like parking is going to keep me from owning my dream car. It's an obstacle, and one quickly remedied. It isn't a major determining factor (as I've said 3 times already).

27. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      07-22-2012 11:55 PM #62
      ^

Don't get too bent out of shape.
      Anybody that frequents internet forums must have a strong BS filter.
      And it can be hard to turn off.

One big issue with owning something like and F40 is insurance.
      So you really do need a proper place to park/store it, and any seller might be reluctant to keep it for you for a while unless they get properly compensated.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

28. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      07-23-2012 12:05 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      ^

Don't get too bent out of shape.
      Anybody that frequents internet forums must have a strong BS filter.
      And it can be hard to turn off.

One big issue with owning something like and F40 is insurance.
      So you really do need a proper place to park/store it, and any seller might be reluctant to keep it for you for a while unless they get properly compensated.
      It's 5am, daughter has allowed me exactly 54 minutes of sleep and I'm still jet lagged from NYC. I'm a bit bitter right now and my BS filter has failed

If I go ahead with a purchase I'll store the Subaru at my previous companies garage. I'm still on as an advisor and have a reserved spot on the bottom floor- that frees up space for the F40 in my personal garage.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      07-23-2012 12:09 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I'd rather wait for a 288 GTO.
      x2, as much as I love the F40
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      Torque is how many crubs and briks you can sled into. Horsepower is how fast you can sled into them, multiplied by how load your cam knock is.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      00 Prelude SH, 08 CR-V AWD, 92 NSX Coupe
      07-23-2012 12:10 AM #65
      My dream car popped up
      I had the funds to buy it
      I bought it
      You should do the same

In all seriousness, I don't think you would regret buying it, especially such a clean example. It's not like you wouldn't be able to sell it if things didn't work out.

I honestly think the parking thing is just a speed bump and that this really seems like the perfect car for you.

Single owner is HUGE in my opinion, and probably literally is the last one that can say that.

It'll be damn expensive though.

Vehicles
      13' BRZ Premium
      07-23-2012 12:10 AM #66
      I'd also say try not to please the internet troll's with personal information. You are IMO giving out too much information that people with malicious intentions could use to find you.. and potentially your 500k car.. just sayin'

Vehicles
      Bent M
      07-23-2012 12:23 AM #67

But in all seriousness, I can easily afford my dream car (a much more humble S54 BMW M Coupe). They are for sale all the time on the West Coast (of the US), too.

I am only 29, though, and I already drive a great car. There is something to be said for holding off on fulfilling that dream. For some reason I see myself buying the M Coupe when my kids go off to college or something (I don't even have kids yet). Or maybe it's because when I get the M Coupe, I will realize that it's just a car, and this whole car obssession is stupid.

At any rate, if you really want it, buy it. It should hold its value, anyway, so you're not really dumping out money for depreciation, etc. As for parking? Who gives a ****. Park it in your living room. Light the Subaru on fire, and park the F40 in its place. Just buy the damn thing and POST PICTURES@!!!!!!!
      Last edited by SchnellFowVay; 07-23-2012 at 12:48 AM.
      I TCL.

Vehicles
      Puma GTE / Audi A3 8L
      07-23-2012 12:45 AM #68
      So you come on TCL saying how you may not buy your dream car because of parking and now parking is no big deal?

Why not just buy the car THEN come brag about it with pictures of it IN your garage?

Rather then BRAG about buying it and saying you have OHHH, HUGE PROBLEM where will you park you Ferrari F40......?

Please.

Vehicles
      Bent M
      07-23-2012 12:47 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by GTE77 View Post
      So you come on TCL saying how you may not buy your dream car because of parking and now parking is no big deal?

Why not just buy the car THEN come brag about it with pictures of it IN your garage?

Rather then BRAG about buying it and saying you have OHHH, HUGE PROBLEM where will you park you Ferrari F40......?

Please.
      Oh settle down.
      I TCL.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Honda Civic LX sedan 5M
      07-23-2012 01:04 AM #70

Worst case scenario I could just store my Subaru in my friend's garage outside London and keep the F40 in my garage.
      There you go. Or, you could ship it to the States and use it during debaucherous holidays in Vegas, keeping it in my garage of course. In any case: DO IT!

Edit: (googles) Hmm, it's even left hand drive, isn't it? Yes, park that badboy 5224.489 miles away in my garage...
      Last edited by TJSwoboda; 07-23-2012 at 01:09 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by thegoose View Post
      I cut a hole in the wall between our 2 car rear entry garage and the basement. It is now a three car garage. Still not sure how I actually got the wife to sign off on that.
      Quote Originally Posted by NathanDetroit View Post
      Getting the wife to agree on rear entry is always difficult.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast