Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: not the expected..

Vehicles
      1983 GTI; 1993 Trek
      07-23-2012 11:03 AM #26
      The good: Audi's LeMans car was on display. Audi R8 race cars on display.

The bad: Everything else.
      //COOLWATERmotorsport
      |F0TZ3 HA5E| - The Project
      VWVolkshaus: Haus des Verrückten

Vehicles
      07/VW/Rabbit
      07-23-2012 11:09 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaGT8V80 View Post
      this is what happens when douchebags ruin it for everyone

i stopped going 2 or 3 years ago the last year i went was a ****show of epciness every single gtg was shutdown within 10 mins and everyone ended up at the ramada which i happened to be staying
      ^^^ this. Went to 15 and left Sunday morning. It's great for the college kids, but if I wanted to drive 320 miles to get sh*tfaced all weekend, I'll do it in maine by a lake with people I know and trust.

EDIT: I'm also old, so I'm probably the only one who thinks this.
      Last edited by crosshare; 07-23-2012 at 11:16 AM.
      Northshore Auto Union(N.S.A.U.)-Salem, Ma.
      nathanmichael@gmail.com
      MKV Rabbit aka The Panda

3. 07-23-2012 05:39 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by A2jettafreak View Post
      I blame the waterfest dissapointment on venue and overall "new crowd".

First 10 waterfest where awesome... then other shows came and well in comparison the idea of "vendors" really changed. People didnt have options like they do now, all you mk5 and mk6 guys dont realize how easy it is to mod a car when you have parts available. We never had that.

as for the used part vendors, they bump prices to cover huge cost of venue spot. so yes never good deals and very few n far between.

I drove my mk1 there and felt like an outsider. no air ride.. no love?
      ONLY reason i went was because im 20 min away and havent missed one yet.

Don't really understand this logic. For one most of us MKV/MKVI guys certainly aren't new to the scene. Most of us have had plenty of older VWs. I've had 2 MKIIs, 2 MKIIIs an audi 4kq and an audi 80. You think it's hard to get parts for a MKI/MKII (which it's not), find anything for an 80/90 or 4k. 10 years ago you couldn't find a set of lowering springs period for a non Q 80. let's not forget that a dirt cheap 30 year old car isn't exactly gonna be sucking your mod money away with monthly payments.

It's not the gen of the car it's just the young croud in general. Now VWs are "cool" and you have 10 little clubs with teenagers hanging out at every Dairy Queen or Wawa in town with a bunch of ugly cars. When I was in highschool everybody wanted a Honda, they only liked my VW cuz what was done to it. Now your car has to basically touch the ground for anybody to even look at it. I feel pretty out of place these days just sitting on springs, I guess these thing aren't supposed to handle anymore?
      Last edited by blackvento36; 07-23-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Vehicles
      Sold '87 GLi, Sold '97 GTi VR, rip '97 Jetta VR, 1998 Jetta VR
      07-23-2012 06:34 PM #29
      I wouldn't go as far as saying mkv's and sixs are a disgrace but I dont like the fact that alot of people that go to the shows with them just bag them and wheels and its "dope".. Its not, it may be nice but where is the character in the car.. What makes it yours compared to the one sitting next to you and a piece of paper that says its yours.. The older cars.. Theres a whole other world where people take the cars to to say hey thats mine and you should stop walking and turn your head.. Yea times are changing its the newer cars generation for parts but it seems like many people just forgot about the classics.. And as someone said above.. Many of the newer cars owners came from the old cars but if nobody said anything I dont think anyone would know the scene is changing like some forgot where they came from.. If You went to the show to buy 2.0 or vr parts you were ****ed.. There was nothing for you I came in hopes of finding a vr to buy or a car.. I found 3 or 4.cars totl and nothing vr motor wise to buy to swap in my car .. Hhere used to be so many motors it was too many choices. I know they arent all gone.. So im not trying to bash any owner your still in a VW but things have changed and not for.the bettier.. Imo.

Vehicles
      S4 3.0 TFSI 6MT & GTI 2.0T FSI DSG
      07-23-2012 07:22 PM #30
      We tried our best to up our game this year by offering more of what we figured customers would want. Did anyone feel we did a good or bad job?

We had several good deals on hardware on top of our normal sales pricing:

Next we brought two lifts and installed exhausts, labor free, all day, both days, deep into the night:

We brought more race rigs to provide an extra 7 or 8 install bays for labor free installs on APR parts:
      [img][/img]

We brought 62 employees to help get answers to customers quickly:

Flashed cars all day, every day, with 12 lanes of chipping, all labor free:

We passed out water and got everyone pizza that stayed late in to the evening:

We brought real APR race cars (not apr sponsored cars, the real deal by us) including two Audi R8 Grand-AMs, Audi B8 S4, VW MK6 GTI and VW MK6 GLI:

Plenty of high horsepower show cars:

Had most of our turbo kits and VWR product line on display:

And offered plenty of shade, although we could not offer shade in all areas of the show:

Is there anything we should add or change next year? Elephants? Giraffes? Jugglers? Clowns? A Magician????

Thanks!
      Last edited by Arin@APR; 07-23-2012 at 07:24 PM.
      GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
      Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
      Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

Vehicles
      GMT800 Sierra ECSB | C6 Z06
      07-23-2012 07:22 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by crosshare View Post
      ^^^ this. Went to 15 and left Sunday morning. It's great for the college kids, but if I wanted to drive 320 miles to get sh*tfaced all weekend, I'll do it in maine by a lake with people I know and trust.

EDIT: I'm also old, so I'm probably the only one who thinks this.
      Hey I like getting ****faced in Maine by Sebec lake....how close are we?
      LOL MPG
      IG: @geeofff
      XBL:DevilYellowLS1

Vehicles
      2008 VW GTi
      07-23-2012 07:23 PM #32
      the spyker was sick! glad to see my photos are appreciated by someone lol

as for the show, this was my first waterfest in probably 5 years, and I can honestly say I was bummed. It just didnt really feel like there was very much excitement in the air. I can't really put my finger on exactly what was lacking, but what I can say is that we should all learn from this year and try to make next year better. We should get more organized and try to get more cars to attend and more g2gs organized.

Vehicles
      2008 VW GTi
      07-23-2012 07:26 PM #33
      APRs setup was BY FAR the best of the show!

Vehicles
      04 NB, 06 GTI, 11 CC Executive, 10 Routan, 91 Cabriolet EA edition
      07-23-2012 07:52 PM #34
      I have nothing but love for the MKV & MKVI's and I'm currently in a MKI. Maybe because I started out with a New Beetle and then went to a MKV, etc. How I feel about it now is "Who gives a crap who likes your stuff? If you like it, that's all that matters." everyone should just be friendly and respectful to one another. We're all mostly in it for the same thing. The love of VAG. Love all marks. Everyone should think of it kind of like a family tree. MKI's being the great great great parent, MKII's being the great great grandparent, MKIII's being the great grandparent, MKIV grandparent, MKV parent and MKVI the child. We all have to love one another because we're all family.
      Believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see.

Vehicles
      07-23-2012 07:52 PM #35
      APR, yous def had one hell of a presentation. But again.. I'm a vr guy and i did stop in and ask for some things and to no avail, there was nothing i wanted or needed.. Now i can say honestly I don't really know how much vr stuff yous have ever produced but i felt it was highly favoring the 1.8t and mk5+ guys.. I came with 4g cash in hand looking for a car or motor, or bottom end parts and none was found. Any car i found, which were only 3 or 4 mk3s, wanted a vortex price tag.. In reality these cars were shot to hell and would vouch a tag of tops 1500, rust, high mileage, maintenance lack there of, anything you could think of to lower a price tag these cars had and they wanted what should not even be thought to be a fair price in their condition.. if you came to the show for a bumper or glove box you may have had some luck but other than that, performance parts lacked heavily.. Now i see it this way for myself.. I live literally 5 minutes from waterfest, if i have the choice to A. Order something online and possibly get some feedback on the parts & then wait 1-3 weeks for parts or B. Go to the show down the street from me and get to actually (or should i say hope to actually) find a vendor with some parts im interested in, get to see and feel these parts and their properties and talk one on one with a vendor representative and get actual feedback without being rushed completely, and hey even get a discount that may in the end overall cost what it costed to order off the internet because i paid to get in the show.. which would you think.. i enjoyed the show and eveyone that came out.. I just feel if someone in a mk3 or older was kinda pushed aside for the new kids.. There are still some people out there with aspirations of breaking records on the performance side of vw without jumping to a newer vw.....

Vehicles
      07-23-2012 07:55 PM #36
      [QUOTE=AlyssaC;78323006]I have nothing but love for the MKV & MKVI's and I'm currently in a MKI. Maybe because I started out with a New Beetle and then went to a MKV, etc. How I feel about it now is "Who gives a crap who likes your stuff? If you like it, that's all that matters." everyone should just be friendly and respectful to one another. We're all mostly in it for the same thing. The love of VAG. Love all marks. Everyone should think of it kind of like a family tree. MKI's being the great great great parent, MKII's being the great great grandparent, MKIII's being the great grandparent, MKIV grandparent, MKV parent and MKVI the child. We all have to love one another because we're all family.

Vehicles
      07-23-2012 08:24 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubk1d View Post
      APR, yous def had one hell of a presentation. But again.. I'm a vr guy and i did stop in and ask for some things and to no avail, there was nothing i wanted or needed..
      Hey, I hear yah. I was once a VW owner with a car not supported by APR and I was always bummed out they never had anything for me. I truly wish we could support everything, but unfortunately as time goes on, it's harder and harder to go back and work on everything we haven't supported before.

I hope down the road when you get into another platform, it will be one we've successfully supported.

13. 07-23-2012 08:40 PM #38
      The manufacturers stepped up to the plate most had great representation. But the dealers weren't that great unless you wanted hid kits leds shirts license plates etc etc. I was in hopes of finding simple maintenance parts for my car 03 wolf. Walked out to find my antenna gone walked back to locate a new one and not one vendor had one. A simple antenna couldn't be found not even in the swap. Everyone I went to said well we could ship you one. I'm at a dubb show why would I have you ship something lol. Wanted to buy a case of oil filters was told by multiple shops well we don't have cases to sell but you can buy them individually at full price. Really lol you would think in this economy the little guys will do whatever they can to bring revenue in. did manage to get a box of ngk plugs for ten buks lol. Other than that the show cars where great the races where great and the people where friendly.
      Last edited by Hirobo; 07-23-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Vehicles
      07-23-2012 08:45 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
      Hey, I hear yah. I was once a VW owner with a car not supported by APR and I was always bummed out they never had anything for me. I truly wish we could support everything, but unfortunately as time goes on, it's harder and harder to go back and work on everything we haven't supported before.

I hope down the road when you get into another platform, it will be one we've successfully supported.
      I'd step up to another platform.. tops would be a mkiv r32 or early mkiv 12v if there was sponsorship for the attempts to break records.. other than that im sticking to my roots in mk3s, its just where i feel i belong

But i do note your statement.. and it is understandable..

Vehicles
      04 NB, 06 GTI, 11 CC Executive, 10 Routan, 91 Cabriolet EA edition
      07-23-2012 11:22 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubk1d View Post
      I agree with this but this wasnt so much the point in my thread.. My point is that i noticed the people with the older generation vws that came out for the show with possible hopes of finding some parts or what have you .. I would almost garuntee didnt find a thing.. And it's slightly sad.. almost everyone on here has said respect the elders.. so wheres the support in parts and cars.. Fading AWAY.
      Oh I'll agree with that! There wasn't anything really for the MKI's and II's. My post went to the other people that were stating that the MKI people hate the MKV people, etc. It's not always true.
      Believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see.

Vehicles
      07/VW/Rabbit
      07-24-2012 09:40 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      Hey I like getting ****faced in Maine by Sebec lake....how close are we?
      well sh*t...

Vehicles
      2003 VW gti BAGGED
      07-24-2012 09:59 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Zaedrous View Post
      Best Western was a good time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
      agreed..Best Western East Brunswick
      Quote Originally Posted by briggs rabbit View Post
      I really dont think N.W. A. is to blame nor Slick Rick... and easy mtyhr fukn E is dead. The blame lies within the lyrics of Slayer, W.A.S.P., Megadeath. And Irion Maden Brain washing The younger generation into ASSHATERY.ex. drinking using drugs and ofcourse regressing into early stages of toddler hood ( whinning).............. But thats why the forums are here

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, '14 Jeep
      07-24-2012 10:30 AM #43
      I loved that the judging was done and winners announced by 3:30. Usually that drags on until past 5 and no one wants to be there that late. APR really stepped it up and brought some truly impressive stuff. Way too many sticker vendors, otherwise it was just another mediocre WF as usual

Vehicles
      '99 Volkswagen Passat, '15 Jeep Patriot
      07-24-2012 06:24 PM #44
      I've never seen the Waterfest forum move so slowly in the days right after the show. At least there aren't a million "Girls of Waterfest" and "Did anyone get pictures of my black MkIV" threads.

Vehicles
      07-24-2012 07:38 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      I loved that the judging was done and winners announced by 3:30. Usually that drags on until past 5 and no one wants to be there that late. APR really stepped it up and brought some truly impressive stuff. Way too many sticker vendors, otherwise it was just another mediocre WF as usual
      i agree with this but i will say i don't know who put the judges that judged in charge.. but i don't think they did a good job.. I know a few of the people that were judged and seen the cars they classed with.. lets just say that some of the other cars in many different perspectives shouldn't have surpassed and did..

Vehicles
      98 colorado red 1.8t passat,2008 R32 #3800 CW (SOLD) :(
      07-24-2012 07:55 PM #46
      i feel the same way it is nothing like when i went 4 years ago it has been loosing its hype. the venders are not what they were then i don't think i have seen German auto parts there in 4 years. just to name one.

Vehicles
      '00 12v VR
      07-24-2012 08:07 PM #47
      For me waterfest 18 was my first waterfest i had ever gone to and the second major show i had been to second to h20i 2011. in my opinion being a mkiv vr guy i as well as a few others in this thread went looking for performance parts on hand to walk away with, only come to find a serious lack there of. apr had a very nice set up but nothing to offer for me.. as for the others just plain and simple there wasn't much there.. i ended up getting flashed at unitronic because of the sheer power difference from all the other companies. i was at show with plenty of cash on hand but only ended up spending just shy of 500. i found some pieces i needed like a tail light at the swap meet, and stage 1 dog bone from BFI but prices for most of the items i was looking for elsewhere from where i bought were SKY high. $260 for a set of tail light lenses!!! with no light tree!! wow yea from my first experience of waterfest i would say i am hesitant to return next year unless some changes are looked into. as far as weather overall feel crowd turn out it was excellent.
      VRSociety #384

Vehicles
      07-24-2012 08:17 PM #48

Vehicles
      98 colorado red 1.8t passat,2008 R32 #3800 CW (SOLD) :(
      07-24-2012 09:22 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by gr8shot10 View Post
      For me waterfest 18 was my first waterfest i had ever gone to and the second major show i had been to second to h20i 2011. in my opinion being a mkiv vr guy i as well as a few others in this thread went looking for performance parts on hand to walk away with, only come to find a serious lack there of. apr had a very nice set up but nothing to offer for me.. as for the others just plain and simple there wasn't much there.. i ended up getting flashed at unitronic because of the sheer power difference from all the other companies. i was at show with plenty of cash on hand but only ended up spending just shy of 500. i found some pieces i needed like a tail light at the swap meet, and stage 1 dog bone from BFI but prices for most of the items i was looking for elsewhere from where i bought were SKY high. $260 for a set of tail light lenses!!! with no light tree!! wow yea from my first experience of waterfest i would say i am hesitant to return next year unless some changes are looked into. as far as weather overall feel crowd turn out it was excellent.
      Yeah I have a mkv r and there was nothing really there for me at all I hear you there this will be the the last waterfest for me for a few years

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      1940 D15 Slant back
      07-25-2012 02:17 PM #50
      Very disappointing turnout this year.

1) From JRP we usally have 40-50 cars come down. This year (8) ???? What Happend?

Well the numbers are falling for any one coming from anywhere to waterfest.

Something has to be done here.

2) Vendors dont bring anything to the shows parts wise, even for popular models. Most attending the show want to buy there at a discount and save the shipping as well as Boarder tax for all of us Canadians. Every year I speak to the Manufacutres and the distributors at the show that there missing out on a large sales opportunity and no one is listening. MFG's should make a deal with there distributors to bring stock in and what does not sell can be returned to the MFG. That way
      there not rising being over stocked for the rest of the year.

Come on guys get your act together, (your complaining the economy sucks, your not listening to your customers!)

3) Friday night and Saturday night were crap cuz the police was everywere not alowing anything to happen. Can the organizers get us an industrial spot thats sponsored by a local shop or Tire place??
      That way were out of the publics way and still having a blast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast