Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 127

    Thread: Official FORMULA 1 ENI MAGYAR NAGYD═J 2012 Hungary

    1. 07-26-2012 08:25 AM #51
      Can we get back to talking about the actual race? They are calling for rain this weekend which might actually make the race interesting.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2006
      Location
      PR
      Posts
      847
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda CX-9 Zoom zoom
      07-26-2012 08:43 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja View Post
      Can we get back to talking about the actual race? They are calling for rain this weekend which might actually make the race interesting.
      Schumi, schumi!

    3. Member nickthaskater's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      12,511
      Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      07-26-2012 01:05 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVRSEX2 View Post
      Schumi, schumi!
      He has definitely looked promising in the wet this year, though FA has proven to have upped his rain-game dramatically as well, and he was no slouch to begin with.

    4. Member rrr rr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2006
      Posts
      2,241
      Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      07-26-2012 03:00 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Neale
      None of us really know what it is that antagonised the FIA so much to provoke Jo Bauer to send the note that he did on Sunday morning.
      Lol! Sure you don't know, Jonathan Neal, sure you don't.
      PSN: gospracrgo

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      6,289
      Vehicles
      2 Audis, 2 Hondas, 1 BMW
      07-26-2012 03:52 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      And you said that 'all he has to do is consistently land on the podium to win his 3rd WDC'. He still has to finish ahead of SV and MW. And I'm trying to figure out what the 'current tire situation' has to do w/ this. I'm not even sure what you mean by the 'current tire situation'.
      And I stand by that podium statement. Ex: FA could finish 2nd behind SV on the podium for the next 6 races in a row and still lead the championship. The 2 RB drivers will be fighting each other as much as they will be fighting FA and the Mclarens, others. FA is in a great spot right now and as the season progresses, the team can take a more conservative approach. Ex. FA doesn't need to make a move like SV on JB last week and risk a crash or penalty. As for the tires, I am speaking of the degredation the Pirellis suffer from. It's more unpredictable. Look at how FA and others like LH have been passed at the end of races when the tires are shot. FA can pit for points rather than ride it out and risk having a procession of cars pass him in the late stages.

      Sure the idea is to win races...but a team manager views race strategy differently with a lead later in the season.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 07-26-2012 at 03:56 PM.

    6. 07-27-2012 12:20 AM #56
      Hungarian Grand Prix 2012 Live Stream Watch Online free here. The 2012 Hungarian Grand Prix is a Formula One motor race that will take place at the Hungaroring circuit near Mogyorˇd, Hungary on 29 July 2012.

      http://www.sportsbun.com/formula1/hu...eam-f1-online/

    7. Senior Member Mk1Racer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 1999
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      20,272
      Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      07-27-2012 09:16 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      And I stand by that podium statement. Ex: FA could finish 2nd behind SV on the podium for the next 6 races in a row and still lead the championship. The 2 RB drivers will be fighting each other as much as they will be fighting FA and the Mclarens, others. FA is in a great spot right now and as the season progresses, the team can take a more conservative approach. Ex. FA doesn't need to make a move like SV on JB last week and risk a crash or penalty. As for the tires, I am speaking of the degredation the Pirellis suffer from. It's more unpredictable. Look at how FA and others like LH have been passed at the end of races when the tires are shot. FA can pit for points rather than ride it out and risk having a procession of cars pass him in the late stages.

      Sure the idea is to win races...but a team manager views race strategy differently with a lead later in the season.
      Yeah, but it's a 34 point lead halfway through the season. And I don't see the tire degradation as 'unpredictable'. They may not know when they're going to go, but when they do, they're gone. Nothing gradual, just here one lap, and pretty much toast the next. The thing is, pretty much everyone is in the same boat. What has been somewhat surprising in the last few races, is how much better the primes end up being than the options.

    8. 07-27-2012 10:40 AM #58
      so practice 1 and 2 were nothing special. just ptactice.

      why is it that when mclaren head the time sheets in practice they are talked about as amazing, oh my god, nobody can beat them so on and so on. they are always good in practice.

      its funny to see how mclaren are acting suprised that redbull got penalised for engine maps. they are the ones crying every minute about neweys ideas. for the IA to change the rule mid season is also stupid.

      whats this, redbull are down in practice. the rules hit them so hard so they must have cheated. what nonsense.

      the FIA have been told about an illegal cooling system mclaren are using on their engine. i have no information on this. anyone hear of this.

      hamilton was p1 both sessions in the dry but never ran the intermediates in the wet like many others.

      the guys on speed feel the lewis might go to ferrari even though alonso said no. but hey are sure acting friendly lately. lewis said he would never leave mclaren a million times and no interest in ferrari. matchett feels that hamilton dreams of a ferrari drive. i just do not see it happening, unless alonso would be stupid to aggravate his comfort and power as the team leader. there would be problems at some point. hamilton does not want to be a number 2 either. remember (massa).... alonso is faster than you. you understand this statement

      i am sure redbull will be up there as newey i am sure has backup plans..
      Last edited by rscshakespeare; 07-27-2012 at 10:44 AM.

    9. 07-27-2012 11:02 AM #59
      I don't see Hamilton leaving Mclaren unless they have consecutive seasons of bad performing cars. Hamilton has been quick enough to qualify on the front row for 8 of the 10 races run so far, in 2 of them he was penalized.
      Mclaren has delivered a competitive car for him for as long as he has been with the team. Another reason would be a falling out with his teammate, but he doesn't seem to mind being paired up with Button.

      Ferrari can't ask for a better driver than Alonso right now. Their problem is Massa who has had more inspired drives of late, but isn't pulling his end of the Constructors Championship.

      F1 has already played out the Alonso/Hamilton teammate situation and it did not end well. I don't know that either driver wants to try it again.

    10. Senior Member Binary Star's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2001
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      30,118
      Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      07-27-2012 11:24 AM #60
      If anything, we'll see Kov in Ferrari before Lewis. Lewis is MCL all the way.

      Also to the guy above who said "its funny to see how mclaren are acting suprised that redbull got penalised for engine maps. they are the ones crying every minute about neweys ideas" - where do you get your information from?

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 15th, 2004
      Location
      Paxton, IL
      Posts
      4,912
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      07-27-2012 11:51 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Binary Star View Post
      If anything, we'll see Kov in Ferrari before Lewis. Lewis is MCL all the way.

      Also to the guy above who said "its funny to see how mclaren are acting suprised that redbull got penalised for engine maps. they are the ones crying every minute about neweys ideas" - where do you get your information from?
      It is speculated that the whole push for mapping on the Red Bull was from McLaren. Now the rumor is that McLaren is supposedly using illegal cooling (can't confirm that claim yet)? Involvement from Red Bull anyone?? I bet Ferrari are hoping that this McLaren-Red Bull squabble intensifies!!!!
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

    12. Senior Member Binary Star's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2001
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      30,118
      Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      07-27-2012 12:14 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      It is speculated that the whole push for mapping on the Red Bull was from McLaren.
      Interesting... did not know that.

    13. 07-27-2012 12:22 PM #63
      kfz, thanks for the support and yes binary star, i accept your apology

    14. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 1999
      Location
      Fredericton NB Canada
      Posts
      45,168
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2007 Mini Cooper S
      07-27-2012 12:27 PM #64
      Will be interesting to see how fast the McLarens are this weekend. They definitely showed promise in Germany.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 15th, 2004
      Location
      Paxton, IL
      Posts
      4,912
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      07-27-2012 12:56 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Gary Anderson
      ... It's also true to say Red Bull did not look very good in first practice in Hungary, on a track which should suit their car.

      It's too early to draw any conclusions from that.

      But what you can say is that they were doing a lot of mechanical changes to their set-up, more than I have seen them do for a considerable amount of time, and the car did not look that good out on the track.
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 6th, 2008
      Location
      Brit living in VA
      Posts
      1,642
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      07-27-2012 01:47 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      Now the rumor is that McLaren is supposedly using illegal cooling (can't confirm that claim yet)?
      Not heard anything about that one yet, but apparently Red Bull were running an illegal way of manipulating the ride height of their cars. No idea how long they were running it, but apparently the FIA discovered it in Canada.

      Red Bull ride height

      If true it's blatant cheating and way outside of any of their typical push the boundaries exploiting of loopholes.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

    17. Member nickthaskater's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      12,511
      Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      07-27-2012 02:18 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      Not heard anything about that one yet, but apparently Red Bull were running an illegal way of manipulating the ride height of their cars. No idea how long they were running it, but apparently the FIA discovered it in Canada.

      Red Bull ride height

      If true it's blatant cheating and way outside of any of their typical push the boundaries exploiting of loopholes.
      Perhaps the system utilizes some sort of "tool" (such as a wheel lock "key" for your road car's lug nuts), which would mean that the system isn't in direct violation of the rule in question.

      If there was sufficient evidence that the car was so "blatantly" illegal, there is no way we just be hearing about it now, nor would RBR have escaped any sanctions at the Canadian GP or thereafter. I'm guessing it was another loophole/grey area issue where they were going against the 'intent' of the rule, rather than breaking it outright.

      That, and I really don't think RBR are stupid enough to run something that is blatantly against the rules. It's far more in line with their behaviour to push the regs rather than break them.

    18. Senior Member Binary Star's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2001
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      30,118
      Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      07-27-2012 02:26 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by rscshakespeare View Post
      kfz, thanks for the support and yes binary star, i accept your apology
      Apology? For what? Asking a question?

      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      Not heard anything about that one yet, but apparently Red Bull were running an illegal way of manipulating the ride height of their cars. No idea how long they were running it, but apparently the FIA discovered it in Canada.

      Red Bull ride height

      If true it's blatant cheating and way outside of any of their typical push the boundaries exploiting of loopholes.
      surprising is the fact that it would the third time they got to race after finding out that their cars didn't comply with the rules (or the way they were intended lol) (Monaco, Canada and Germany)

      but, gotta hand it to Newey & Co. for coming up these master ideas that somehow let them keep their results on the race day.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 6th, 2008
      Location
      Brit living in VA
      Posts
      1,642
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      07-27-2012 02:59 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Perhaps the system utilizes some sort of "tool" (such as a wheel lock "key" for your road car's lug nuts), which would mean that the system isn't in direct violation of the rule in question.

      If there was sufficient evidence that the car was so "blatantly" illegal, there is no way we just be hearing about it now, nor would RBR have escaped any sanctions at the Canadian GP or thereafter. I'm guessing it was another loophole/grey area issue where they were going against the 'intent' of the rule, rather than breaking it outright.
      That's what is weird about it (if true) from the sounds of things it can be done with no tools at all, which is against regulations. But like you said, if its that blatant then you would think more would have been heard about it.

      Will be interesting to see if anything else comes about from it, currently I think its only the 1 article.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

    20. 07-27-2012 04:31 PM #70
      is it true that redbull did not even use the softs (never) during fp1 and fp2? both drivers. that vettel on mediums was just 0.8 off of hamiltons soft pace and feels he can get plenty out. go get them boy!

      kimi needs a win.. this should be a good race to get it.
      Last edited by rscshakespeare; 07-27-2012 at 04:34 PM.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 15th, 2004
      Location
      Paxton, IL
      Posts
      4,912
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      07-27-2012 08:33 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by rscshakespeare View Post
      is it true that redbull did not even use the softs (never) during fp1 and fp2? both drivers. that vettel on mediums was just 0.8 off of hamiltons soft pace and feels he can get plenty out. go get them boy!

      kimi needs a win.. this should be a good race to get it.
      They say the difference between both compounds is about half a second.
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

    22. Senior Member Mk1Racer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 1999
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      20,272
      Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      07-28-2012 08:55 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Binary Star View Post



      surprising is the fact that it would the third time they got to race after finding out that their cars didn't comply with the rules (or the way they were intended lol) (Monaco, Canada and Germany)

      but, gotta hand it to Newey & Co. for coming up these master ideas that somehow let them keep their results on the race day.
      What they did was change or clarify the rules after the fact. If the cars were found to be in violation of the rules, as they were written, at the time of the race, you can bet they (as would anyone else) would have stripped of their results and possibly given other sanctions.

      Oh, and Webber and Vettel 1st and 3rd and the end of FP3. We'll see what qualifying brings today.

    23. 07-28-2012 09:12 AM #73
      hamilton gets p1. good job but he is not so much a contender anymore at this stage, more of a distraction for the top three leaders. will get overtaken by grosjean in second.

      vettel third. webber way back. who knows what happened there. not helping his championship points.

      alonso in sixth. lets hope for a positive result.

      there is a 60% chance of rain, so the mclarens will get caught out and fernando will rise to the top.

    24. 07-28-2012 09:19 AM #74
      it seems that redbull are in trouble again. probably instigated again by mclaren.



      Red Bull boss Christian Horner insists his team never made illegal changes to its car in parc ferme, despite a fresh controversy erupting over a ride-height adjuster at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

      Fresh from the reigning champions being involved in a row over engine maps in Germany last week, it emerged in Hungary that back at the Canadian GP the team was asked by the FIA to change a mechanism that gave it the possibility to alter front suspension settings manually.

      Teams are supposed to only use tools to make such adjustments, and the FIA was not happy with the ease by which Red Bull could change its suspension - and therefore alter the ride height. It was asked to modify the system so that tools needed to be used.

      The regulations state that teams cannot change suspension settings between qualifying and the race - and in order to ensure compliance tools must be used to make such alternations.

      Article 34.5 of the Sporting Regulations states: "In order that the scrutineers may be completely satisfied that no alterations have been made to the suspension systems or aerodynamic configuration of the car (with the exception of the front wing) whilst in post qualifying parc ferme, it must be clear from physical inspection that changes cannot be made without the use of tools."

      The benefit of having an easily adjusted suspension setting would be in allowing changes to be made to the car before the race without raising the suspicion of scrutineers - but Horner is adamant that his outfit never exploited that possibility.

      "It was something that could either be changed by hand or by tool, but the FIA said they preferred it was a tool that was used," Horner told AUTOSPORT.

      "We never changed the ride height in parc ferme or anything like that. It really is a non-issue."

      When asked why, if the regulations state that tools must be used, the team had a system that allowed settings to be changed manually, Horner said: "There are a lot of parts that are changed manually on the car, but a tool is used. The suspension has never been changed in parc ferme. Never.

      "Basically what was on the car on Canada has been on the car at other races as well, but at no point has it been adjusted in parc ferme. It is question of whether you do it with a tool or manually, and it is done with a tool."

      The right-height issue is the latest in a string of technical controversies that Red Bull has been involved in this season ľ with it having to change its floor after Monaco because of holes, refine its wheel hub design in Canada and revise its engine map settings after Germany.

      Horner says that the string of issues is simply the end result of his outfit producing another quick car.

      "I think it is the consequence of being competitive," he said. "When others are complaining the reason the car is quick, and that is the case here."

    25. Senior Member Mk1Racer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 1999
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      20,272
      Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      07-28-2012 09:21 AM #75
      Lewis certainly looks fast. Massa right there w/ Alonso. Grosjean outqualifies Kimi again. WTF happened to Webber??? Both Williams to Q3


      1 4 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.794 1:21.060 1:20.953 18
      2 10 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1:22.755 1:21.657 1:21.366 26
      3 1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:22.948 1:21.407 1:21.416 18
      4 3 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:22.028 1:21.618 1:21.583 22
      5 9 Kimi Rńikk÷nen Lotus-Renault 1:22.234 1:21.583 1:21.730 22
      6 5 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:22.095 1:21.598 1:21.844 19
      7 6 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:22.203 1:21.534 1:21.900 19
      8 18 Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1:22.475 1:21.504 1:21.939 22
      9 19 Bruno Senna Williams-Renault 1:22.271 1:21.697 1:22.343 24
      10 12 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1:22.176 1:21.653 1:22.847 19
      11 2 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:22.829 1:21.715 17
      12 11 Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1:21.912 1:21.813 15
      13 8 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:22.079 1:21.895 16
      14 15 Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1:22.110 1:21.895 17
      15 14 Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1:22.801 1:22.300 17
      16 17 Jean-Eric Vergne STR-Ferrari 1:22.799 1:22.380 10
      17 7 Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1:22.436 1:22.723 17
      18 16 Daniel Ricciardo STR-Ferrari 1:23.250 8
      19 20 Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault 1:23.576 8
      20 21 Vitaly Petrov Caterham-Renault 1:24.167 7
      21 25 Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth 1:25.244 9
      22 24 Timo Glock Marussia-Cosworth 1:25.476 10
      23 22 Pedro de la Rosa HRT-Cosworth 1:25.916 9
      24 23 Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1:26.178 11

    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •