Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Clutch and MK1 vs Mk2 Transmissions

Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      07-23-2012 01:50 PM #1
      I have an '84 Jetta; replaced the clutch last summer. Had a friend do it. Seemed to do a good job.

Well, the unit is slipping a year later. I also found out recently the previous owner changed the transmission from the original to a Mk2 manual trans.

I had my friend install an Mk1 clutch. Could this clutch have been undersized for the transmission?

The new clutch barely has 1,200 miles and I drive it like an old lady. The timing was off and I had to feather it into 1st gear for months due to the lack of power, but I doubt this would have worn it significantly....

2. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      1984 vw rabbit gti, 1983 vw rabbit gti, 1998 vw jetta, 1996 vw golf,
      10-03-2012 02:45 PM #2
      heres a sight which will give you a ton of info and you can ask the writer of the site for more info,, but also what trans code was installed in you mk1 jetta? cuz im looking to swap ina better trans into my mk1 rabbit hatch. www.brokevw.com this guys is very knowledge able and friendly.

Vehicles
      86 GTI 2.0L, 88 Scirocco 16V, 2010 F150 STX
      10-03-2012 04:14 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Maggiolone View Post
      I had my friend install an Mk1 clutch. Could this clutch have been undersized for the transmission?
      It could possibly be a smaller 190mm or 200mm clutch, but it would have required the FW to be changed as well so my guess is that it probably has a standard 8V 210mm clutch kit in it.

The new clutch barely has 1,200 miles and I drive it like an old lady.
      1200 miles shouldn't be causing any issues at all, even with a 190mm unit being used.

The timing was off and I had to feather it into 1st gear for months due to the lack of power, but I doubt this would have worn it significantly....
      It depends entirely on your definition of feathering it... but when the clutch slips it builds heat quickly. If you do it enough, you can glaze the clutch disc. When it glazes it will build a hard and slick layer on the clutch, which is then prone to slipping. More slipping, more glazing, and the cycle gets worse.

With the clutch installed, did you regularly check the clutch cable adjustment as the new clutch wore in and was seated? Is there slack in the clutch cable now? You should have a manual adjust cable on the 1984, so make sure it is properly adjusted and has a touch of slack in the cable at rest. If it doesn't then that could very well be part of the problem itself.
      See this page for adjusting the cable properly... http://brokevw.com/releasearm.html

Quote Originally Posted by vr6_rabbit View Post
      heres a sight which will give you a ton of info and you can ask the writer of the site for more info,, but also what trans code was installed in you mk1 jetta? cuz im looking to swap ina better trans into my mk1 rabbit hatch. www.brokevw.com this guys is very knowledge able and friendly.

What trans code do you have now, and what do you want from the new trans (ie, better mileage, better performance/acceleration, etc.)?
      020 trans info pages - www.BrokeVW.com
      NEW 0.7619 5th gears for the 020
      NEW 020 reverse gears
      '86 GTI 8V 2.0L -'88 Scirocco 16V - '10 F150 4x4

4. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-06-2012 03:18 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Broke View Post
      It could possibly be a smaller 190mm or 200mm clutch, but it would have required the FW to be changed as well so my guess is that it probably has a standard 8V 210mm clutch kit in it.

1200 miles shouldn't be causing any issues at all, even with a 190mm unit being used.

It depends entirely on your definition of feathering it... but when the clutch slips it builds heat quickly. If you do it enough, you can glaze the clutch disc. When it glazes it will build a hard and slick layer on the clutch, which is then prone to slipping. More slipping, more glazing, and the cycle gets worse.

With the clutch installed, did you regularly check the clutch cable adjustment as the new clutch wore in and was seated? Is there slack in the clutch cable now? You should have a manual adjust cable on the 1984, so make sure it is properly adjusted and has a touch of slack in the cable at rest. If it doesn't then that could very well be part of the problem itself.
      See this page for adjusting the cable properly... http://brokevw.com/releasearm.html

What trans code do you have now, and what do you want from the new trans (ie, better mileage, better performance/acceleration, etc.)?
      no 84 Jetta came with a 210mm clutch that im aware of..

and mk2 trannies often times had more desirable ratios than mk1 trannies..

did your friend replace the rear main seal, trans input shaft seal, or clutch push rod seal while the trans was out of the car?

if its slipping in 1200 miles, i would think it is oil soaked, or glazed beyond saving..

Vehicles
      86 GTI 2.0L, 88 Scirocco 16V, 2010 F150 STX
      10-06-2012 06:06 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Glegor View Post
      I'm more at home inside the 020 than outside it but I thought the cars with JH engine codes had 210mm clutches if I'm reading etka correctly?
      EN codes had 190mm and the diesels had 200mm?

*edit* - It looks like the 1984 GLI had a 210mm clutch, the others had 190mm or 200mm.
      Last edited by Broke; 10-06-2012 at 06:10 PM.
      020 trans info pages - www.BrokeVW.com
      NEW 0.7619 5th gears for the 020
      NEW 020 reverse gears
      '86 GTI 8V 2.0L -'88 Scirocco 16V - '10 F150 4x4

Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      10-07-2012 01:28 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Glegor View Post

and mk2 trannies often times had more desirable ratios than mk1 trannies..

did your friend replace the rear main seal, trans input shaft seal, or clutch push rod seal while the trans was out of the car?

if its slipping in 1200 miles, i would think it is oil soaked, or glazed beyond saving..
      Update:

Bit the bullet and had a professional look at the trans.

The old Sachs clutch still had a good bit of material on it.

However, it was slightly glazed. Secondly, we had a good feeling that it wasn't properly seated when installed and its release bearing went bad along the way, too.

Last year when the Sachs was a few months old, I had an instance of going over railroad tracks and the clutch wouldn't release from 2nd gear (I was not shifting when going over the tracks; I couldn't up-shift into 3rd after crossing them). I thought it was a fluke; now it makes sense.