Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Food Gawker

07-23-2012 04:44 PM #1
      Anyone heard of this site?

http://foodgawker.com/

I've pulled quite a few great recipes from here. Amazing apps, entrees, desserts, drinks, etc. Dig through, post up what you want to try or have tried. Here's a couple of my favorites thus far:

Mac and Cheese

Perfect Mac-n-Cheese (serves 4 as a side dish)

8 ounces penne pasta (half a box)
      2 cups Beecher’s Flagship Cheese Sauce (see below)
      1 ounce Cheddar, grated
      1 ounce Gruyere cheese, grated
      1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil or butter an 8-inch dish. Cook the penne 2 minutes less than the package directions. You want the noodles not quite done because they will finish cooking in the sauce in the oven. Rinse the pasta with cold water and set aside.

Combine cooked pasta and Flagship Sauce in a medium bowl and mix carefully but thoroughly. Scrape the pasta into a prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the cheeses, then the chile powder. Bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, until the top has a nice golden crust. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.

If you decide to make this as a main and double the amounts, use a 9×13 inch baking pan and increase the time to 30 to 35 minutes.

Beecher’s Flagship Cheese Sauce (makes 4 cups)

1/4 cup butter
      1/3 cup all-purpose flour
      3 cups milk
      14 ounces semi-hard cheese, grated (I used Beecher’s Flagship Cheddar)
      2 ounces grated semi-soft cheese (I used Gorgonzola)
      1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
      1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
      1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
      Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Continue to whisk and cook for 2 minutes. You just made a roux, a substance used for thickening sauces!

Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Now you turned the roux into a bechamel.

Remove from the heat. Add the cheese, salt, chile powder and garlic powder. Stir until the cheese is melted and all the ingredients are incorporated, about 3 minutes. If the cheese isn’t melting completely you can put the pan on low heat.

Use immediately or refrigerate for up to three days!
      Simple but delicious and easy chicken

Parmigiano Panko Herb Encrusted Chicken Breasts
      What you’ll need:
      4-6 chicken breasts (enough for your family)
      olive oil
      panko flakes – enough for breading
      1 1/2 cups Parmigiano Reggiano – grated
      2 tablespoons dried basil
      salt/pepper
      What to do:
      1. Trim your chicken breasts of any excess fat. Take a piece of plastic wrap and cover your chicken breasts. Pound them out with a mallet until they’re about 1/4″ thick.
      2. In a large deep sided pan (I used my chicken fryer) over medium-high heat, put enough olive oil to pan fry your chicken breasts.
      3. WHILE your oil is heating, place panko flakes into a pie dish (or another dish large enough to bread your chicken). Add Parmigiano, basil and season with salt and pepper. Mix together with a fork. Press chicken breasts into Panko mixture, breading chicken on both sides. Continue until all chicken is breaded.
      4. Place breaded chicken breasts into hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. Turning as necessary. Careful not to crowd the pan (do batches if necessary) Roughly 3 minutes per side depending on the thickness of chicken. Allow chicken breasts to rest before serving.
      Buon Appetito!

Vehicles
      2011 Prius
      08-06-2012 12:58 PM #2
      Pretty neat site. Some good looking recipes that I need to try.