Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: APR Presents 2.0 TDI ECU Upgrade!

Vehicles
      2010 Audi B8 S4 3.0 TFSI 6MT & 2007 VW MKV GTI 2.0T FSI DSG
      07-24-2012 04:50 PM #1
      Product Page

APR is pleased to present the ultimate ECU upgrade for the 2.0 TDI Common Rail 140 HP Diesel Engine. After a year of research and development on a multitude of vehicles in the VAG lineup, we are pleased to offer you an ECU recalibration that is second to none. APR’s extensive research and development provides you with a powerful ECU Upgrade with no loss of drivability or reliability. Expect large increases in power and torque across the powerband, improved response and a smoother, more powerful top end.

The 2.0 TDI ECU Upgrade is an expertly recalibrated engine management control strategy that increases horsepower and torque to provide smooth and reliable operation as if intended by the OEM. APR's ECU Upgrade is developed to work within the OEM and Tier 1 Supplier specifications for engine component stress tolerances and performance specifications. APR's patented EMCS functionality puts the control of the engine's operation at your finger tips and allows for additional features and options to be installed to your OEM ECU.

DSG Software Not Required
      Unlike many other TDI offerings on the market, APR’s ECU Upgrade DOES NOT REQUIRE DSG Software to take advantage of large increases in torque.

Included Features
      The APR ECU Upgrade comes Fully Loaded with the following APR EMCS Program Switching Programs and Features:
      • Stock Mode
      • APR Performance Mode
      • Cruise Control Operated Program Switching & Features
      • APR Fault Code Erase
      • APR Security Lockout
      • APR Anti-Theft

APR Stage I ECU Upgrade
      The APR Stage I ECU Upgrade is recommended for a stock engine configuration and gives you higher peak numbers of 170 HP and 297 FT-LB of torque. The Stage I ECU Upgrade offers peak gains of up to 27 horsepower by 2,950 RPM and 50 FT-LB of torque by 2,700 RPM! APR’s ECU Upgrade is the best power per dollar modification for the 2.0 TDI and give it just the extra edge these cars lack from the factory without pushing the limits on an otherwise stock engine. With factory like smoothness and drivability, APR’s ECU Upgrade will fill the void in an otherwise excellent car.

APR Stage I Calibration Report:

Stock as reported by VW/Audi USA
      Power - 140 HP
      Torque - 236 FT-LBS

Stock as measured by APR
      Power - 153 HP
      Torque - 251 FT-LBS

APR Stage I ECU Upgrade and otherwise stock engine
      Power - 170 HP
      Torque - 297 FT-LBS
      Peak Power Gain over Stock Measured by APR - 27 HP @ 2,950 RPM
      Peak Torque Gain over Stock Measured by APR - 50 FT-LBS @ 2,700 RPM

Dyno Charts

Click Here for Power and Torque measured at the wheels.
      2010 Golf TDI - DSG - Dynapack Loaded Dyno - Multiple run average - CJAA - Stock Engine Hardware - ABS Fuse Removed

North American Application Guide:

Engine:
      2.0 TDI CR 140 HP

Engine Codes:
      CJAA
      CBEA

Transmissions:
      6MT
      DSG
      S-Tronic

Vehicles:
      Audi A3 8P
      VW MK5 Golf
      VW MK5 Jetta
      VW MK6 Golf
      VW MK6 Jetta SportsWagen
      VW B6 Passat

Some ECUs are flashable through the OBD-II Port, while others require removal of the ECU for flashing.

Pricing

$599 MSRP
      $499 SALE (Till August 3rd)

Include Cruise Control EMCS Program Switching, Stock/Performance Mode, Fault Code Erase, Security Lock out and Anti-Theft

How to Purchase

Simply visit an APR Dealer to get the update installed in about an hour or if you do not have a dealer in your area, please fill out the APR Order Form and send in your ECU to the APR HQ.

Security, Warranty and Money Back Guarantee

All APR ECU Upgrades are fully encrypted to prevent theft of our valuable and proprietary coding information by lesser companies.

All APR ECU Upgrades include a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and to provide free updates and reflashes as they become available. Installation may be additional and is not included in the warranty.

All APR ECU Upgrades offer a 30 day money back guarantee with no questions asked. If for any reason you are unhappy with your APR ECU Upgrade you may return the upgrade to your place of purchase for a full refund provided you are within a 30 day period from your time of initial purchase. Installation is not included in the guarantee and is at the discretion of the place of install.
      GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
      Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
      Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 A3 TDI
      07-24-2012 04:55 PM #2
      Do Sale prices run through the Dealers as well? I have a local dealer that I can visit to get tuned. Also, I have a DSG tune, will this cause any issues?

3. Member
      07-24-2012 05:34 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by bmw511 View Post
      Do Sale prices run through the Dealers as well? I have a local dealer that I can visit to get tuned. Also, I have a DSG tune, will this cause any issues?
      In regards to the DSG tune how is APR hitting those torque numbers with out a DSG tune? From what I've seen from other tuners the DSG limits torque quite severely.

Vehicles
      07-24-2012 05:40 PM #4
      Do Sale prices run through the Dealers as well? I have a local dealer that I can visit to get tuned.
      For the USA, yes. If you are onside of the US, please check with your local importer.

Also, I have a DSG tune, will this cause any issues?
      We have not tested any DSG software from other companies. We do offer a 30 day, no questions asked, money back guarantee if you're not satisfied.

Vehicles
      07-24-2012 05:53 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Subaruski1 View Post
      In regards to the DSG tune how is APR hitting those torque numbers with out a DSG tune? From what I've seen from other tuners the DSG limits torque quite severely.
      Yup, it does, if you don't know what you're doing.

Here's the thing. Since the DSG first hit in the US in the FSI platform in 2006, we started to see other companies around the world claiming DSG software was absolutely required to increase torque past some limit. Some claimed it was impossible to do so without the DSG software while others said the transmission would simply blow up. Its safe to say after all these years the transmissions are not blowing up and APR is not limited by these supposed limits.

Some tuning companies purchase base maps which they then edit and redistribute through another companies software delivery system. They have limited resources and are often a 1 man show. Data logging is limited, the area of the ECU they can touch is limited, the map locations are limited, and the flashing interfaces are limited. This all adds up to limitations, and DSG is one of them.

It's quite possible some of these companies do know how to increase torque without DSG software, however it may be possible these same companies enjoy collecting money from customers for both ECU and TCU upgrades. I'm not saying there's no use for DSG software, however the primary selling point in many situations simply isn't always necessary.

APR simply does not need DSG software to increase torque just as we haven't for years. This is why we're able to sell Stage 3+ 2.0 TSI turbocharger systems, cranking out over 425 ft-lbs of torque w/o DSG software. How we do it is proprietary information, however even if we gave out the information, I'm quite positive many other tuners would not have the ability to make the changes necessary given the limited scope of their operation and access to the ECU.

I'm not pointing fingers to any one diesel tuner as there are thousands of them across the world. This is simply how it works and has worked for years so I hope that answers some of your questions even though I can't go into detail about what's exactly changed.

6. Member
      07-24-2012 07:14 PM #6
      Awesome, thanks for the info. APR definitely has the reputation backing it.

As far as other diesel tuners, there are really only two others out there that I know of and only one of them being a viable competitor to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
      I'm not pointing fingers to any one diesel tuner as there are thousands of them across the world

Couple thoughts on my current situation.

APR vs Competitors

-APR tune is easy to hide from dealer and will not affect warranty or affect my AudiCare Maintenance plan.

-APR offers EMCS controls (Huge win because I loved Cobb AccessPort on my Subarus)

-APR $500 = 170HP/297Lb-ft
      -Competitor Stage I $500 = 153hp/287Lb-ft
      -Competitor Stage II $550 = 163hp/295Lb-ft (Requires DPF Removal & possibly $500 DSG tune)

-From competitors website. "The factory DSG software’s torque limitation is below our Stage 1 engine torque. Without a DSG software update you will not realize the full potential of our performance tunes."

-I will comment that your "competitor" seems to have a smoother torque curve...

-I know from a legal stand point a DPF removal is for OFF ROAD purposes only and APR does not plan on pursuing this route. But for some customers there is the draw of the decreased maintenance liability and the slight increase in fuel economy by removing it.

Last question for APR. You guys have been testing this tune for a while now. Have you noted any increase in fuel economy?

Vehicles
      07-24-2012 07:26 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Subaruski1 View Post
      -I will comment that your "competitor" seems to have a smoother torque curve...
      I was waiting for someone to mention that. This will depend on the type of dyno used.

We use a Dynapack hub dyno that's loaded. The entire run is controlled over a length of time we've set. Some dynos offer smoothing, ours doesn't. Roller dynos typically are much much smoother as the numbers are created with the wheels moving as fast as they can turn the rollers and some are not even loaded.

DPF removal
      We're looking into it. That's all I can say right now.

Last question for APR. You guys have been testing this tune for a while now. Have you noted any increase in fuel economy?
      Typically we do see increases in mileage, but that heavily depends on how hard you push the car. If you go wide open throttle all the time, then I doubt you'd see an increase. If you drive normally, just as you did before, then I would expect to see an increase. It's really hard to give a rating though. Usually we leave that up to our customers to report back what they see on average.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      09 jetta tdi, 06 RRS
      07-24-2012 08:32 PM #8
      Do you by chance have any dynos with software and your intake installed?

What about egt limits? Were they raised or kept oem?

Vehicles
      07-24-2012 08:56 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by gtboost View Post
      Do you by chance have any dynos with software and your intake installed?
      Not yet. We'll look into making an intake file later on. Right now we suggest only using the software with a stock engine.

What about egt limits? Were they raised or kept oem?
      I'll check with engineering tomorrow to see how peak EGT's look. As EGT's climb, power is reduced to protect the turbo and catalysts.

10. 07-24-2012 10:28 PM #10
      Am I missing something or does this not work with the B7 Passat?

Vehicles
      07-24-2012 10:36 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Dont View Post
      Am I missing something or does this not work with the B7 Passat?
      It depends on the ECU. There are two different ECU processors, 1796 and 1797. We've developed a delivery method for our software on the 1796 but are not finished on the other.

The passat's we've had in house were all 1797, but that doesn't mean they all are. If you go to an APR dealer, or the APR HQ we can check to see if it is or isn't!

Vehicles
      '15 S3, '91 200 20v, '91 200 20v Avant
      07-25-2012 12:58 AM #12
      I just want to comment as a VERY satisfied customer of this tune. I was the first in line at Waterfest and possibly the first customer to own the APR calibration!

I can't yet comment on how the mileage has changed as I've been very heavy on the right foot lately. Just too much fun.

Oh, and for what it's worth my car with the APR tune, AFE cat back (really just an appearance modification) and a neuspeed intake slightly outperformed my brothers car with a competitors stage two software with full turbo back exhaust, dpf delete and afe intake from a 40mph roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8wmO6y-B0Q&sns=em
      Last edited by AMD IS THE BEST; 07-25-2012 at 01:41 AM.
      2015 S3 - Sepang/MAG/Advanced Tech - Ordered 10/14/14
      1991 200 20v
      1991 200 20v Avant
      YouTube
      MQB Audi S3 Facebook Group

Vehicles
      07-25-2012 10:15 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by AMD IS THE BEST View Post
      I just want to comment as a VERY satisfied customer of this tune. I was the first in line at Waterfest and possibly the first customer to own the APR calibration!

I can't yet comment on how the mileage has changed as I've been very heavy on the right foot lately. Just too much fun.

Oh, and for what it's worth my car with the APR tune, AFE cat back (really just an appearance modification) and a neuspeed intake slightly outperformed my brothers car with a competitors stage two software with full turbo back exhaust, dpf delete and afe intake from a 40mph roll.

Wow

14. Member
      Vehicles
      09 jetta tdi, 06 RRS
      07-25-2012 01:42 PM #14
      Thats awesome AMD. Get your flame suit on if you post this on the other forum. Lol. The Malone fanboys are going to flip. EDIT: you already did.

I can't wait to get this tune.

I just hope APR plans on going beyond a stage 1 tune.
      Last edited by gtboost; 07-25-2012 at 01:45 PM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 A3 TDI
      07-25-2012 03:41 PM #15
      I'm getting mine done tomorrow on my A3 TDI! I'll report back on my results... so stoked!

16. Member
      07-25-2012 04:47 PM #16
      I'm getting mine done tomorrow on my A3 TDI! I'll report back on my results... so stoked!
      Can you update back on if they need to remove the ECU or not and also any fuel economy gains?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 A3 TDI
      07-26-2012 05:13 PM #17
      I guess there's a delay in updating my ECU... it's "newer" and something has to be done to the tuning back at APR before it can be loaded.. at least it was all read off and sent to APR for tuning.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get it loaded before the weekend!

If there's anything you can do to speed up the process Arin I'd greatly appreciate it :-)

Vehicles
      07-26-2012 05:21 PM #18
      I guess there's a delay in updating my ECU... it's "newer" and something has to be done to the tuning back at APR before it can be loaded.. at least it was all read off and sent to APR for tuning.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get it loaded before the weekend!

If there's anything you can do to speed up the process Arin I'd greatly appreciate it :-)
      The TDI, and other VW/Audi engines, have multiple ECUs with multiple revisions. Every time we see a new one we didn't see before, we just need to apply our software changes and get it on the server for you. This is normal, and happens every year when a new model comes our or VW/Audi issues an update.

Typically the update takes an hour or so for an update, but when software is first launched for a new engine it can take a couple days (because we get flooded with updates right away). I'm guessing if it's not out by tomorrow it will be early next week.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 A3 TDI
      07-26-2012 05:23 PM #19
      Thanks Arin! :-) I'm just anxious to play with the new software... very exciting!

20. 07-26-2012 05:43 PM #20
      Arin, could you please comment on whether a 2012 Passat B7 tune for the 1797 processor would be in the general couple-of-days timeframe like you noted above with BMW511's A3 ECU version, or is there more extensive work required before a B7 tune is available? Thanks!

Vehicles
      07-26-2012 08:36 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by fenders View Post
      Arin, could you please comment on whether a 2012 Passat B7 tune for the 1797 processor would be in the general couple-of-days timeframe like you noted above with BMW511's A3 ECU version, or is there more extensive work required before a B7 tune is available? Thanks!
      It's more extensive work. We're dissecting the ECU now to figure out a way in.

Vehicles
      '08 E90 335xi
      07-28-2012 12:00 PM #22
      Given anyone who has a TDI with an ECU that can be upgraded through the OBD-II port, does this qualify them for the six hour trial?

Vehicles
      2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition - 6 Speed MT
      07-29-2012 02:12 PM #23
      Just got the tune couple days ago, I love it! More power and a lot more peppy, but also very smooth at the same time. Do you guys at APR have Stage 2 and Stage 3 in the works? Hope so!
      2010 Jetta TDI Cup | Laser Blue | 6 Speed | APR Stage 1

#1 Official College Confessions - collegefession.com

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 A3 TDI
      07-29-2012 07:00 PM #24
      All these reviews coming in make me want mine! Still waiting for the software to be adapted to my ECU type... keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow :-)

Vehicles
      09 370z | 1986 944 Turbo
      08-01-2012 12:47 AM #25
      Well I just bought my wife a '12 6mt tdi jetta.

Definitely interested in getting this tune as I've always had apr tunes and turbo its on my vw's.

I really do hope they come out with a stage 2 and then some...
      -Drew
      2006 Lotus Elise
      2009 370z - Stillen CAI, Fast Intention CBE / LTHs, os giken LSD, Cobb AP
      1986 944 Turbo - T4 .50 trim @ 23 psi | 2006 GTI - APR K04 sold
      2002 A4 3.0Q

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      08-01-2012 01:42 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
      The TDI, and other VW/Audi engines, have multiple ECUs with multiple revisions. Every time we see a new one we didn't see before, we just need to apply our software changes and get it on the server for you. This is normal, and happens every year when a new model comes our or VW/Audi issues an update.

Typically the update takes an hour or so for an update, but when software is first launched for a new engine it can take a couple days (because we get flooded with updates right away). I'm guessing if it's not out by tomorrow it will be early next week.
      Stopped by Eurocode yesterday to reflash my 2012 Jetta TDI. Same problem as bmw511, so now I'm just waiting for them to call me back in once APR has my file ready.

27. Member
      08-01-2012 04:00 PM #27
      All these reviews coming in make me want mine! Still waiting for the software to be adapted to my ECU type... keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow :-)
      I'm waiting for APR to update the software for yours so I don't have to wait to do my 2010 A3

28. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 JSW TDI, 2012 GTI Autobahn
      08-01-2012 04:33 PM #28
      I have a 2009 JSW/TDI/DSG that I want to get flashed.

The details of my ECU are:

Part No SW: 03L 997 016 P HW: 03L 906 022 J

Revision: 12H01--- Serial number: VWX7Z0I124E09H

Dealer says there isn't a file for it yet and it will take several days to get. Truth or Smoke?

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 A3 TDI
      08-01-2012 05:05 PM #29
      Definitely truth... I took mine in last week and they had to read out my ECU and send it to APR to have it programmed. Last I heard it will be at least by Tuesday of next week.... this waiting is killing me! LoL

Quote Originally Posted by AquilaTDI View Post

Dealer says there isn't a file for it yet and it will take several days to get. Truth or Smoke?

Vehicles
      2010 135i
      08-01-2012 05:20 PM #30
      Definitely truth... I took mine in last week and they had to read out my ECU and send it to APR to have it programmed. Last I heard it will be at least by Tuesday of next week.... this waiting is killing me! LoL
      Same thing for me.

Vehicles
      08-01-2012 06:34 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by AquilaTDI View Post

It's not ready yet. The dealer needs to code extract your ECU so we can make the file.

32. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 JSW TDI, 2012 GTI Autobahn
      08-02-2012 02:15 PM #32
      Thanks Arin,

I'm at the dealer for the read-out and they say that unless they get the file tomorrow they can't honor the sale price. Any help?

Thanks, Ken

UPDATE: Dealer says my ECU is "odd" and it will need to be removed to FLASH!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
      Last edited by AquilaTDI; 08-02-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Vehicles
      08-02-2012 03:41 PM #33
      I will make an exception on sales pricing for everyone since we have a delay in getting out box codes.

So basically if your ECU is not on the list of those originally available, and you're waiting while we extract and update codes, you'll be able to get sales pricing. We'll probably run this for a couple weeks just for you guys.

I have my sales manager drafting an email to the dealers now. Sometimes dealers don't read the emails, miss them, or the guy flashing the car was not one of the people getting the updates, so if anyone has any trouble getting the sales pricing, at all, just call and ask for our sales manager while you're at the shop and we'll make sure the correct information is communicated to our dealers.

Vehicles
      2010 A3 TDI
      08-03-2012 01:45 PM #34
      Arin, I was at Eurocode Tuning yesterday and they had to extract my files because APR doesn't have a file for my car yet. Just wondering what the situation is on that.

Chum Ly

35. Member
      08-03-2012 03:05 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by chummer View Post
      Arin, I was at Eurocode Tuning yesterday and they had to extract my files because APR doesn't have a file for my car yet. Just wondering what the situation is on that.

Chum Ly
      Are you the dude from Pawn Stars? How do you fit in a A3?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast