Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: An account of this year's inaugural day of boating, from my Dad

Vehicles
      2016 GooseBee Delux, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 1896 Miatadon BananaShade DeVille
      07-24-2012 04:57 PM #1
      My Dad sent my uncle an account of the first time getting the boat out this year-it was forwarded to me today
      Zoom=dog.

"Uncover boat and pull out from garage. Try new dog ramp - looks ideal, but boat ladder is too narrow, so it will not work. Hook up battery, at least enough charge to run blower and see that gas is empty. Go to gas station and fill up, back to cottage to pick up Judy and Zoom. Zoom very excited! Go to boat launch - tons of trailers lined up for long distance along road, but not too bad at the docks. Do excellent boat launch, but don't go too far away. Good thing, as battery too weak to start boat. Get boat back ontrailer and go to Home Hardware to buy battery charger. Back to cottage. Directions everywhere - Do Not Charge Marine Battery While In Boat! Take out battery and leave on charger for a few hours. . Back to dock, launch boat and optimistically park car and trailer. Motor turns over, boat will not start. Get trailer back, reload boat, and return home. Put boat back in garage, day of boating done! Next boating in a few weeks (don't even want to try on weekend). Looking forward to it!"

It was discovered that the dog ramp is adjustable in width, after the fact
      And the battery, it turns out, is from 2003.

I'm looking forward to the next day of boating, since I'll be there
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      If someone at GM is reading this, if you give me a Corvette and $28.5m, I'll hand-paint the body of it, I'll breed it with an AIBO, I'll convert it to a boat and drive across SF Bay, I'll drive it through the lobby of Mazda HQ in LA, I'll ship it to China and invade the Forbidden City in it, then I'll drive up to Baikonur in Kazakhstan and have it fired to geosynchronous orbit on a Zenit-3SL rocket.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Honda Civic, 2011 Toyota Venza
      07-29-2012 10:45 PM #2
      Ha, everyone who has owned a boat for any significant amount of time can share similar stories!

This past year my battery too was dead upon initial startup. Second time out with fresh battery required a second trip home to get the keys. Our family has learned that when you try to pack a full day of fun on the water for a young family you inevitably forget to pack something important along. I'm sure that the last outing of the season we'll finally nail it, or not.

Chris

Vehicles
      4 and a boat
      08-01-2012 10:22 AM #3
      Who uncovers their boat and takes it right to the launch?
      Cry once....

Vehicles
      11 Mazda 3s, 11 Honda CBR 250r, 06 Subaru Forester XT, 1987 Scirocco 16V
      08-11-2012 09:07 AM #4
      Wise words from an experienced boat owner:

The two most exciting (and best) days of a boat owners life: The day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat.
      Studies have shown that all decaying mammals smell exactly the same. So what if you want the smell of dead whores but can't afford to risk a lengthy jail sentence? Try a dead cat. Just slip it under the seat and no one will be the wiser. They will get in your car and say " Dam ******, you gots a dead hooker in the trunk?" and you can smile and just say " I'll never tell".

Vehicles
      2016 GooseBee Delux, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 1896 Miatadon BananaShade DeVille
      08-11-2012 06:41 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by cstraw View Post
      Our family has learned that when you try to pack a full day of fun on the water for a young family you inevitably forget to pack something important along. I'm sure that the last outing of the season we'll finally nail it, or not.

Chris
      Been there, done that. Though, fortunately, not on the parental end, but as a yute in the olden days.

I participated in last week's Day Of Boating: The Sequel.

Discovered that the learned skill of plucking an errant hat from the water with a boat hook at 35mph is not lost after 10 years of going unused
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      If someone at GM is reading this, if you give me a Corvette and $28.5m, I'll hand-paint the body of it, I'll breed it with an AIBO, I'll convert it to a boat and drive across SF Bay, I'll drive it through the lobby of Mazda HQ in LA, I'll ship it to China and invade the Forbidden City in it, then I'll drive up to Baikonur in Kazakhstan and have it fired to geosynchronous orbit on a Zenit-3SL rocket.