Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Hybrid Automotive Technicians - What Are We Worth?

Vehicles
      2014 VW Jetta SportWagen 2.5L
      07-24-2012 10:56 PM #1
      Quick little background on why I'm asking this:

Last summer, I made the decisions to jump ship, and make a career change to follow a dream. I had worked in the banking industry for 10 years (debit cards, customer service, accounting background) and felt I should do something that I went to college for, automotive technology. I contacted a dealer close to family, and was asked to come to Texas ASAP for a face-to-face interview last July. Two weeks later, my fiancee and I were on our way to Texas.

Being that I had no formal experience in a dealership environment, and had no other formal factory training, I was offered a position as an entry-level technician. Not a lube-tech, but a technician. I waited my 90-day period, which ended up being closer to 5 months before I was allowed the opportunity to become a "technician" in the eyes of the manufacturer. As of the first of the year, I started completing my online book training, not because I had to, but to better myself and learn more about the brand, on my own. When I completed 75% of my book training, I began to ask my management staff what I needed to complete to become certified, and begin working on my individual certification levels (electrical, engine, transmission, etc). At that time, on-site training was unavailable, due to the classes being all filled up for the 1st half of the year for the entry-level courses I needed. So once again, I had to wait some more.

All of this time, I did not see any increase in pay, as I felt I deserved a little more than what I was hired in as, even though I was promised an increase at my 90-day mark. We have since gone through new management, which has been a huge improvement to how things operate, but I still felt I was under paid.

As of this month, I am officially a certified technician, in the manufacturer's eyes, and have been asked to become our dealer's hybrid technician, in support of the launch of a new 2013 hybrid model. Since becoming certified, I have been given a pay increase, which is very close to what I feel I deserve, but with being a HVT, and being electrical-certified (happening in the very near future), should I be entitled to more income potential? As a technician who flags 50-60hrs on a consistent basis, what kind of wages should I expect given these circumstances?

If I'm too far off my rocker for a response in the thread, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks,
      Steven
      Last edited by Scuba2001; 07-24-2012 at 11:00 PM.
      Scuba Steve
      Certified Audi Technician
      Steve White VW/Audi

Vehicles
      14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 03' Envoy, 05' Honda VTX, 97' C'Dale 900 Killer V, 90' C'Dale SR800
      07-25-2012 12:50 PM #2
      With less than 5 years experience and no ASE Master certification - Pay Rate of $15.00 - 18.00/hr in South Texas.

Vehicles
      07-25-2012 10:08 PM #3
      Hmm, that doesn't sound too promising, I thought the future looked a little brighter for me. Thanks for your input though, it's much appreciated.
      Scuba Steve
      Steve White VW/Audi

4. 07-27-2012 03:22 PM #4
      But that would be x dollar amount per BILLED hour no? For example's sake you could have 50 billed hours but only physically work 40.

Vehicles
      07-27-2012 07:51 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTiTurbo View Post
      But that would be x dollar amount per BILLED hour no? For example's sake you could have 50 billed hours but only physically work 40.
      Yes that is correct. A typical week for me is working Mon-Fri 7:30a to 6:00p and Sat 8-4 if I choose to go in. That's a 50+ hr work week for me. Normally, I bill a total of 50-60 hours, and that's what I get paid. I am happy making 50+ hrs a week, that my goal right now.
      Scuba Steve
      Steve White VW/Audi

6. 08-01-2012 12:46 AM #6
      Wow, Scuba you're so much more ambitious/driven than me. I hit right at 40 hours each week, and nothing more unless there's a project going on. I definitely work to live.

Sorry, I have no information for you on a wage, but sounds like there should be some adjustment since you possess skills that none of your co-workers have. Good luck getting what you want.
      FS: PNY GeForce 2010 Video cards - $10 for 1 or $25 for all 4

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post85839023

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1997 Honda Prelude SH
      08-07-2012 09:19 PM #7
      I was a full blown Honda technician in NY doing all sorts of electrical repairs, timing belts, hybrid cars whatever... yeah I made $11/hour

Vehicles
      08-12-2012 11:15 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Purple8v View Post
      I was a full blown Honda technician in NY doing all sorts of electrical repairs, timing belts, hybrid cars whatever... yeah I made $11/hour
      That's a bit disappointing to hear. I'm not completely sure if it's just the region here, or the norm, but some of our lube techs get $11 an hour.

Today may be a good time to go through my resume and update some things. It's been a year or so since I even looked at it.
      Scuba Steve
      Steve White VW/Audi

Vehicles
      06 330i, 2011 gti
      09-11-2012 09:39 PM #9
      in the automotive industry...the only way to get serious pay increases to either move shops/brands or threaten to haha. I almost left where im currently employed working on bmws..made it known to my manager who gave me several dollars more per hour to stay. If your employer knows what your worth...you will get what you feel your worth...if not-go somewhere else where someone will. Also keep in mind-the point of flat rate is to beat the hours your there...breaking even isnt always a good thing.

To the person in NY working for $11 an hour...your nuts.