VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parking brake fault

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      09-09-2012 10:06 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Sandman333 View Post
      Probably. That's the outside pad. The inside is a little thinner. I think the dealer said they were 2mm. Didn't get the swap done as I don't have a 14mm triple square here. Have to order it, no local tool stores carry them...

Still couldn't get the rotor to budge (yes I removed the torx screw). Sprayed it down with penetrating oil and then made sure to get it off the rotor surface with brake parts cleaner before I put the old pads back on.
      If your replacing the rotors just knock them with a hammer gently. lol

2. 09-10-2012 06:20 AM #37
      Oh I tapped them, more than gently. Didn't budge. Penetrating oil will have a couple days to soak and I'll get my sledge out. New rotors already here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 2.0T 6MT 2013 2.5 SEL-Premium
      10-04-2012 08:09 PM #38
      Sandman - where did you get the pads and rotors and how much? I have an '07 6MT and replaced my rears at 51k and am still on the fronts at 85K. Am hoping to get to 100k and will do fronts and prob rears again as well. I imagine this time I should do rotors, right?

Thanks

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Passat CC 6 speed MT
      10-05-2012 07:39 PM #39
      My 06 Passat started having the same Parking Break error. When I put the key in the ignition and try to release the parking break it comes up with an error, after I take the key out and put it back in it fixes the problem for a few days and then the error will come back.

I have done a little research and as I have seen on here, replacing the Parking Break Switch should fix the problem. Has it fixed the problem for anyone that has had the same issue?

Vehicles
      07 Passat 2.0TDI DSG Highline
      10-06-2012 02:21 AM #40
      I had my switch replaced 5 days ago after an error, it wouldn't engage then one day decided to start working. .
      I took it to the dealer as I had to replace my rear pads anyway, they didn't come up with another reason. All seems fine now
      Last edited by Defex; 10-06-2012 at 02:23 AM.

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Passat CC 6 speed MT
      10-07-2012 06:56 PM #41
      Thanks for the comment, my break pads are still in good condition. Did the switch stop working before or after you replaced it?

7. 11-22-2012 11:46 AM #42
      Sorry I didn't get back to this thread- missed the subscription button so I didn't know there were replies. I went with the Blauparts U-Slot kit: http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....d=D2B1139-01-G

That's the front. The rear kit is less than $90 for pads and rotors. After the anti-rust coating wore off the brake feel and stopping power is much improved. That's really saying something, since it's the rear brakes. The front should make a bigger difference, but since I still have 2/3 of my front pads left and no rotor warp at 73K miles, I'm not changing the fronts just yet. Hopefully the anti-rust coating does its job- hate looking at rusty rotors behind my wheels.

The brake fault warning has happened a few more times. It seems every time I open and close the parking brakes with Vag-Com, the fault goes away for a while. I still suspect it might be because the parking brake motors are reaching the limit of their travel because the pads were so worn down. Now that I have new pads and rotors installed, I will know for sure if the problem returns or stays away completely. Time will tell.
      Last edited by Sandman333; 11-22-2012 at 11:52 AM.

8. 11-25-2012 08:58 AM #43
      New rotors look good behind the wheels and braking power is impressive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12