######### SOLD ################
I've been playing around with changing things up. This car has been a lot of fun but I'm thinking of something different.
1963 OG ragtop bug
I have owned it for about three years. Some of the modifications were done when I got it, others I performed myself. The car is in nice shape. It's not a show car but more of a solid driver. From what I can tell it had a "restoration" done some time in the 80's or 90's. There are a few spots where the body work is starting to show its age. It's a ton of fun to drive and gets a lot of looks. Here are the modifications and such.
Suspension (installed before I owned the car):
- 6" Narrowed and adjustable front beam
- CB Performance drop spindles
- Adjustable rear axle plates
Brakes (Maybe 5000 miles on them):
- CB Performance disc brake conversion with Porsche bolt pattern on all four corners
- All new steel braided brake line
- Dual circuit master cylinder
- Professionally refurbished 16” Porsch Fuchs
- Kumho tires with good tread
Engine (Maybe 5000 miles on re-fresh):
- Late model super beetle case
- Enlarged 1641cc jugs and pistons
- Ported and rebuilt dual port heads
- Ratio rockers
- Full flow oil system with remote filter
- Dual bosal carbs
- Full 12 volt conversion with new alternator
- Vintage speed stainless exhaust system
- New clutch kit
- Lightened flywheel
- All tins powder coated wrinkle black
- All new wiring in engine bay tucked
- Electric fuel pump
- Newer seat covers and door panels
- Newer carpet
- Bug pack shifter
- Reproduction Flat Four wood steering wheel
- Radio delete plate
- Custom vintage replica tachometer mounted under dash
- New throttle pedal assembly
- New clutch cable
- I’d give it about a 7 out of 10. Some scratches and dents but no significant rust.
- Chrome euro bumpers
- Euro headlight glass
- New canvas top last winter
- New front and rear window seals with chrome inserts
- New side window rubbers (these are pop out windows)
- The rear panel was replaced and the entire engine bay was re-painted two winters ago
- New running boards
The bad? Well, this is an old car so there are some rough spots.
- It handles like a lowered beetle. That is to say, it’s a bit darty on uneven surfaces and bouncy over bumps.
- The engine starts a little hard when very hot or very cold. It always starts but just requires some throttle pedal to keep it going at first. This might just be a choke adjustment.
- The carbs leak a little fuel and that has bubbled the paint below them slightly.
- The body has some light surface rust in a few places. I can provide pics
- Wipers don’t work. I never drove in the rain.
- The pan is very solid but has been patched below the battery.
The car is located in Grand Rapids Michigan and has a clean title.
I'd really like to trade for another interesting car. I am not interested in a project of any kind. Only complete driving vehicles. I'm pretty open minded beyond that. I'd love a mk1 or mk2 Golf, mk1 Scirocco, square back, Notch back, 911, 914, E30...etc.
For a sale price I'm thinking $6900.