Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: Kia Carens Teasers Hint At Next-Gen Kia Rondo MPV

07-25-2012 01:18 PM #1

Quote Originally Posted by Motor Authority
      Kia has several major model launches in store for next year including redesigned versions of its popular Forte compact, refreshed Kia Sorento, a new flagship sedan based on the K9/Quoris model sold overseas, and a new Rondo MPV.

Though we've already seen official images of the first two models, today we get our first official look at the new Rondo by way of teaser images for its European cousin, the Carens, which will be making its official world debut at the 2012 Paris Auto Show in September before going on sale early next year.

The Kia Ronda hasn’t been on sale in the U.S. since it was dropped at the end of the 2010 model year but a much sleeker and more dynamic version looks set to return, as confirmed by previous spy shots and now these latest teaser images.

Like most of Kia’s new range, the Carens, and the new Rondo it will eventually spawn, has been designed under the watchful eye of Peter Schreyer. It features a sporty cab-forward design with a low roofline and large wheels.

No other details have been released, though we suspect the platform underpinning the vehicle is based on the same front-wheel drive setup underpinning the Kia C’eed hatchback and upcoming 2014 Forte. Engine offerings for the European version should include a 1.7-liter turbodiesel unit rated at 115 horsepower and 188 pound-feet of torque and a 2.0-liter turbo four with 136 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque on tap.

Stay tuned for more details following the reveal of the Kia Carens on the opening press day of the Paris Auto Show on September 27.

Spy Photos:

Link
      Last edited by omoderncultureo; 07-25-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2
      07-25-2012 01:22 PM #2

...and I'm guessing this is the target market..
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      07-25-2012 01:23 PM #3
      Wow that looks great!

4. 07-25-2012 05:22 PM #4
      Those teasers look real good for an MPV; look more like an estate version of the Kia Cee'd than an MPV.

Unfortunately, the spy shots show that the greenouse/roofline isn't nearly as sleek in reality (having more of the upright MPV shape - which I guess is fine for an MPV).
      Last edited by CP1; 07-25-2012 at 05:30 PM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

5. 07-25-2012 05:27 PM #5
      Looks pretty good for that class of vehicle. The current Rondo is pretty ugly.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      07-25-2012 05:28 PM #6
      Inverted
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

7. 07-25-2012 10:06 PM #7
      With low sales of the previous gen (and the mini-MPV segmenr as a whole), I'm having a hard time seeing this car green-lighted in NA.

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      07-25-2012 10:31 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by joe97 View Post
      With low sales of the previous gen (and the mini-MPV segmenr as a whole), I'm having a hard time seeing this car green-lighted in NA.
      Kia is still young enough that they're in the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" stage. They never guessed that the Soul would sell ~130,000 units per year, so they're more willing to take risks. They're also not giving up on the Sedona either even though it's going away for a year.

9. Swallow Doretti
      07-25-2012 10:36 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      Kia is still young enough that they're in the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" stage. They never guessed that the Soul would sell ~130,000 units per year, so they're more willing to take risks. They're also not giving up on the Sedona either even though it's going away for a year.
      Yeah, but both Ford and Chevy canceled their plans to bring over a MPV here...so why will Kia do any better?

Unless it goes straight to the Great White Bag of Milk to the North.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      specialized hardrock 29
      07-25-2012 10:42 PM #10
      small mpvs don't sell in the land of giants.

Vehicles
      saab 99; ford ranger
      07-26-2012 12:01 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      The current Rondo is pretty ugly.
      I tend to have odd opinions on automotive attractiveness, but I've long thought the Rondo was uniquely cute in its class for reasons I can't possibly quantify

Seriously, hot:

Quote Originally Posted by Bones_Jones View Post
      small mpvs don't sell in the land of giants.
      Not sure what MPV stands for (isn't that a Mazda? ) .. but based on local antecdotal evidence (and your own profle representation), I would say mini-suvs / crossovers are doing better than ever.
      But I also think the Jeep Compass (TCL's modern-day Aztek) is wonderful, so clearly I belong in a nut-hut.
      Last edited by Troike; 07-26-2012 at 12:08 AM.
      << so it Hz >>

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      for every good post in this thread there are 10 illiterate people mashing buttons on their keyboard
      my SAAB 99