VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How to remove dash trim at windshield base

19K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  compu_85 
#1 ·
2012 B7: How is the long dashboard trim piece, at the base of the windshield, attached? I've got a lot of creaking between the main dash and this piece. The dealer has offered to put some foam pieces between the rubbing surfaces, but I'd like to know what's involved before I have someone tear the dash apart.

Thanks.

#3 ·
I do, but because I'm very particular, I like to know exactly WHAT is being done before I hand over the key. If it's not too complicated, I'd rather do it myself.

#5 ·
Oh and report back once you see how it is done as I would like to know. :confused:

#6 ·
Coffeemade, I'm disappointed in you. I thought for sure you would know how to do this!

I won't have this taken care of for a couple of weeks, as there are too many household items that need my attention. Thanks for the advice to ride shotgun when the dash is dis-assembled. I'm trusting that John (tech) at Stohlman won't mind. Both he and Jack Smith (SA) have been very kind to me every time I drop in, and they're earning my trust.

#8 ·
If you're talking about the thin long trim piece that sticks up above the dash that the tweeters covers are built into, it's REALLY easy to remove.

The removal procedures:

#1 pull up on trim piece
#2 That's all.

It's held in by little retainer clips, just pop them off, very easy to get in and out. Although, if your dealer is going to take care of it, why bother?

#9 ·
I had mine in and the dealer couldn't recreate the cracking/creaking noise from there, but they said similar noise was coming from the headliner console and they sound deadened that area up. It has been better since then suprisingly. I'm always afraid to just pull on something to remove it, so I'm glad to hear it's that simply Should be easy to fix any sounds from there myself if I do have further issues with it. I've noticed the sound is worse when the interior temperature changes quite a bit (going from parked in the sun and using max ac, and it used to rattle more when it was colder our (meaning it had contracted in there). I don't know why they chose to use hard plastic there when the rest of the dash is the nice soft material that isn't so susceptible to expansion/contraction and rattling.

#10 ·
Shapiro: Thanks for the advice. 3 clips? Advice on where they're located, and the type of clip?

#11 · (Edited)
Ya know... I don't remember where they are located or even how many. I started out by popping off the tweeter cover with a small screw driver, this let me get my fingers under it from the inside (I think, it's been a while since I did it, I might have used something to pry it up from the inside). From there I carefully worked to the other side opting off one clip at a time. If you have to pry at all, be careful not to scratch anything, I used a cloth anywhere where I was prying to protect things.

I don't even remember if they are the little metal clips that you can squeeze or the plastic piece with a knob on the end.

If you need more help let me know and I will go pull it off again and give you better info. It really wasn't too difficult, just be careful you don't scratch anything, and make sure you are pulling up close to the clips so you don't break the trim piece. The hardest part about it was getting the trim piece out of the dash area once it was off... it is slightly wider than the width of the inside pillars, I had to kind of flex it while shoving one forward and outwards to get the other end out.

#12 ·
Thanks. This sounds simple enough for the dealer, they've probably not done one yet, and maybe they'll let me watch. I was hoping the dash would not need to be disassembled.

#15 ·
The trim simply pulls off. Getting it out from between the A pillars was more tricky than pulling it off the dash. I removed the speaker grilles first, they simply pull off as well (start on the inside corner closest to you).

Here are some pictures with the trim removed:

Big picture showing the trim. You can see the little tabs that engage the clips.

-J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.