Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: A&P Mechanics

1. Member
      Vehicles
      89 Jetta Coupe
      07-25-2012 11:25 PM #1
      Figured there might be a few in here, so I thought I'd ask...

Any advice for someone going through an A&P program? Currently going through the A&P program at NAA in Clearwater, Florida. I've been hearing alot of good and bad things about the field of work from some of the instructors here at the school, and I'm really just trying to get an outside opinion on what I'm getting myself into. I'll be in school til Apr2014 since I'll be going through their avionics program as well.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
      05 Jetta GLI : F4-T
      87 Golf GT -- Dead Apr/2011
      91 Jetta GLI : Mk3 ABA Swap

Wetdub

2. 08-01-2012 12:42 AM #2
      Wow. It's been a while and still no response. Soooo, here ya go...

It can be great... It can suck. For me, it sucked when I was working GA making 8 bucks an hour with no benefits. Also, I hated 3rd shift. But it was great when I was at a regional airline as a lead mechanic working the 1st shift line. A good schedule, overtime pay, and flight benefits go a long way. More recently my A&P, "knowing a guy", being in the right place at the right time, and a little luck allowed me to work on the Space Shuttle for a couple years.

If you aren't happy where you are, tough it out a little longer, something will change---> You will get laid off, promoted, or find a better job. I was laid off from 4 different companies in 6 years but I never missed a paycheck. It actually worked out better each time because my friends became my 'bosses' or vise versa.

The best thing though, if your married, you have an excuse to spend some money on nice tools!
      Turn the heat OFF!

3. 08-02-2012 06:37 PM #3
      If I could go back in time, I'd do something else. But since it's too late for that, I can just say find a good place to work. I'm an avionics tech, I have a bit over 7 years in, and it's getting worse. Been laid off 3 times, stuck on night shift for probably the next 20 years if I stay, and our benefits are getting cut/reduced the more we go along.

The job itself is fun, get to meet a lot of great people, but overall, I'm looking to change field. I have a friend who works for Delta, and from what I can tell, they are treated 100x better than the airline I work for. So, find a good airline.
      2004 EVO RS
      2007 GTI
      2014 Ford Escape

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC, 1973 International Scout II
      08-17-2012 09:03 PM #4
      I'm on my last semester of A&P school, I'll hopefully be certified by january. I think I'll move to denver and see what happens.

5. 10-08-2012 05:54 PM #5
      I'm on my last semester as well. I'm not remotely interested in airlines at all. I've already had 3 job offers. 1 from Delta, one from UND, and 1 from Odegaard Wings, which I took. Ill be restoring P51 mustangs. Not a bad way to start my career.

Sent from up north

6. 10-08-2012 07:43 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Shouter351 View Post
      I'm on my last semester as well. I'm not remotely interested in airlines at all. I've already had 3 job offers. 1 from Delta, one from UND, and 1 from Odegaard Wings, which I took. Ill be restoring P51 mustangs. Not a bad way to start my career.

Sent from up north
      FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

I'd have loved to work for the Odegaards. It's too bad Bob left us so soon

7. 10-10-2012 08:43 AM #7
      I was lucky enough to see Bob every day this summer. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He always took a little extra time to talk to you.

Sent from up north

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC, 1973 International Scout II
      10-12-2012 11:03 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Shouter351 View Post
      ...and 1 from Odegaard Wings, which I took. Ill be restoring P51 mustangs. Not a bad way to start my career.
      Pretty badass, I'm jealous. Did you do anything or actively search to get the job offers or did you just receive them after getting your a&p?

9. 10-13-2012 07:36 PM #9
      I am on my last year of school. One came from a scholarship I received, one came from the fact that my dad is an A&P, and I interned at Odegaard wings this last summer and was offered the Job then.
      Sent from up north