Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: '91 GLI 9A and Duostyling gauges........a match made in HELL

Vehicles
      91 GLI 07 GTI
      07-26-2012 12:29 AM #1
      I'm in the process of installing the Duostyling Oil Temp/Oil Pressure/Volt gauges. I've found the appropriate positions on the fuse block to run the power and ground but I'm trying to trouble shoot for the oil pressure and oil temperature VDO senders. I've emailed Batan but it appears he's on vacation.

According to Mr. Bentley the blue wire closest to the block is the low pressure sender. The yellow wire closest to the radiator is the high pressure sender. I assume I hook up my VDO sender in the yellow wire spot due to the dual pole style and the impossibility of it fitting in the blue wire spot closest to the block. Is this correct? Or should I source a single pole oil pressure sender? Also, do you splice that yellow wire and plug it into the same "G" spot as the gauge wire? I don't understand the necessity of the VDO pressure sender if the factory wire works with it. I'd assume the gauge sender wire would work with the factory sender.

As far as the oil temp sender. Do I disconnect and uninstall the factory oil temp sender and replace it with the VDO sender? Or can I just tap into the factory oil temp wire and run my gauge wire from that? or vice versa?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 GtiT
      07-26-2012 01:15 PM #2
      get its own sender.. put it in the head by the water outlet on the side
      I have most wiring diagrams in PDF format for sale! $5
      A1, A2, A3, A4, Corrado, New Beetle

Spoonfedtuning.com

Vehicles
      91 GLI 07 GTI
      07-26-2012 02:35 PM #3
      Any specifics? Your answer is too vague.
      Last edited by VWpushaj; 07-26-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: additional comment

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      07-26-2012 06:29 PM #4
      Each gauge gets it's own sender. The only thing to splice would be for power and lites.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

5. 07-27-2012 08:20 AM #5
      The yellow wire and blue wire on the oil filter flange go to oil pressure switches not pressure senders. The oil pressure switches work together to turn on the oil pressure warning light in the dash. There is a whole section on it in the Bently.

That being said, it sounds like you have a VDO sender / switch which you plan to install. If so, install it in place of one of the switches. Both ports see the same oil pressure so you can move things around as needed.

I'll try to dig up an image of my setup if it will help.

For oil temperature, if the pressure sender is the same range, then no need to replace it. Otherwise just install the VDO. Make sure the threads are correct of course.

-Alex

6. 07-27-2012 08:28 AM #6

My wire colors may not be correct any more! Also, the sender is available with different warning switch pressures. You have to also note if your factory switch is normally open or normally closed and make sure the new one is the same.

-Alex

Vehicles
      91 GLI 07 GTI
      07-27-2012 04:47 PM #7
      So when I install the oil pressure sender switch in replace of the factory oil pressure switch spot on my filter flange can I splice the factory wire/hook up with the signal wire going to the gauge? I only have two spots available on my oil filter flange and I want to retain the factory pressure warning lights.
      Thanks for a constructive/informative response.
      It's appreciated.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      07-27-2012 05:26 PM #8
      You will hook up the factory wire to the pressure sender only if you have a two pole sender. One pole is for the gauge and the other pole is meant to replace the switch to maintain a functioning warning system. There is no splicing needed. If you only have a single pole pressure sender, you need to find a place to put the sender and the factory pressure switch.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

9. 07-27-2012 11:33 PM #9
      I'm using a sender that also has a pressure switch inside. The pressure sender is like a variable resistor which gradually changes based on pressure. The switch is either on or off depending on pressure. Vw's have two switches to warn you of low oil pressure.

The low pressure switch makes the oil light turn on whenever oil pressure is below its set point. The higher oil pressure switch activates the oil light whenever oil pressure drops below its set point and the engine is above a certain RPM. This is the early low pressure warning system or whatever that the Bently refers to.

It's been a while, but I seem to have moved the high pressure switch closer to the block and installed the pressure sender with built-in low pressure switch further from the block. The yellow wire is from the factory harness and goes to the high pressure switch. The blue wire is from the factory harness and goes to the new low pressure switch. The white wire was run by me and goes from the gauge to the sender.

Hope that helps.

-Alex

Vehicles
      91 GLI 07 GTI
      07-29-2012 01:45 PM #10
      Did your two pole sender get in the way of the breather hoses near the block? How did you get around this?
      Thanks

11. 07-29-2012 07:59 PM #11
      No. Check out the picture. It fit perfectly. In fact, there is a bit of a relief around the breather that makes it look like the sender was meant to go there.

Hey and just a side note, there are "two station" senders and senders with a pressure switch. They are different. A two station sender is basically two senders in one unit so that you can run two of the same gauges like in a boat with a tower. You want to make sure your unit a has one sender and one pressure switch.