Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: do i HAVE to use triple square bolts for axles?

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta Gls
      07-26-2012 04:18 AM #1
      having the biggest trouble with axle bolts lately, its ridiculous how STUPID of a design it is to use x3 square on an axle bolt. im already pissed that i have chinese axles, and i didnt really care anymore and i used the bolts that came with them. i just got everything installed tonight and the last thing holding me back from getting it back on the road was torquing down the axle bolts. and of course, they already start stripping.

im ready to freak out and just give up and get the fuck rid of my car already because nothing every works out the way planned and it's always 1 step forward, 2 steps back with this damn thing.

can i just use standard fucking bolts on these axles? what difference does it make whether they have x3 square heads or not?

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      07-26-2012 07:51 AM #2
      How the holy f are you managing to strip out the heads of brand new trip sq axle bolts? Wrong size x3 bit? Not putting it in far enough? I've changed a bunch of axles and never had any bolts strip n me.

I would think that so long as you can find a bolt of equivalent strength, size and thread pitch you should be able to change them out ok...
      '96 Golf Harlequin VR6, Chagal Blue base

Vehicles
      90 vw GTI, 90 carrado supercharged
      07-26-2012 08:00 AM #3
      hey i used these on my crank pulley bolt http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-93822.html they are good and cheap
      mj

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 12v + '03 GTI 24v + '99 CR-V 16v
      07-26-2012 08:34 AM #4
      so you're going to sell your car because you cheaped out and bought bulls**t parts...

buy quality parts, learn how to install them. axles aren't even that hard man.
      Looking for a mk3 "GTI" front grille emblem, mk3 font (not 20 Jahre "block" font)

Vehicles
      past Scirocco, Gli16V, Scirocco16v, Cabriolet, present 84GTi,96GTi
      07-26-2012 08:37 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by dceola View Post
      How the holy f are you managing to strip out the heads of brand new trip sq axle bolts? Wrong size x3 bit? Not putting it in far enough? I've changed a bunch of axles and never had any bolts strip n me.

I would think that so long as you can find a bolt of equivalent strength, size and thread pitch you should be able to change them out ok...
      X2 ive been working on VWs for 20+ years and have never had an issue with them unless a previous hack mechanic worked on it before me. My guess is you're using a cheap triple square or you're over torqueing the bolts.

Vehicles
      97 TR jetta, 87 jetta, 81 caddy, 95 cbr600
      07-26-2012 10:21 AM #6
      Might not be putting the bit in all the way. Usually a good idea to tap with a hammer to make sure it is fully seated.
      Give wildlife a brake! 4TSQ. WV, Almost Heaven. Where are the moose? Save the Frogs!. Save the whales. I birds. Iron City

Vehicles
      Slammed&Cammed Golf
      07-26-2012 11:46 AM #7
      I was able to retighten my OLD bolts without stripping them. Be patient, and methodical.

I dont know about yours but some of my bolts were hex(allen key).
      Last edited by VW_MK3_270; 07-26-2012 at 11:49 AM.
      /////////

8. 07-26-2012 12:30 PM #8
      If you're no patient and don't have the knowlegde to get some bolts in. Then why in the efer you are messing with something easy that you're making it difficult.?
      I changed both front axles shafts and not one was stripped.
      When I did my first oil pan gasket I stripped one but because I was learning.
      Do work and take your time and if you don't have the time then let the pros to do it.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk3 windsor Gti 2.0, Mk1 Jetta 16v
      07-26-2012 12:46 PM #9
      If your yanking the wrench without being slow and steady yea your going to strip the bolts out.

I think the standard bolts are hardened also.

The chinese axles are fine, the bolts were probably garbage to begin with...Did you ever notice how easy it is to crack a chinese made socket over a regular snap on socket??

You probably damaged your driver too...

Calm down......its just bolts. Order the right bolts and get a new driver and do them over again. no big deal.

Ive been helping people out in person with their cars over simple things lately and noticed no one has any patience with anything.. They just want to get in and start racing, rather than fix the $50 part that could cost them thousands if they dont fix it....

VW+no patience= broken VW

10. 07-26-2012 02:12 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      I'm convinced you commuted through a salt mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_Addicted View Post
      Bariman82 is the king of rust patching...He is the guy you want to talk to.
      My take on fixing a rotten mk3.

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta Gls
      07-26-2012 03:09 PM #11
      jesus christ, i know how to work on my car, it was the cheap ass bolts that i used. i torqued them down to 33 ft/lbs and i was perfectly patient, i know better than to rush putting these things on.

but, not one of you answered my question. can i use normal bolts or not? i need my car asap and cant wait for the new ones to come in the mail.

Vehicles
      Slammed&Cammed Golf
      07-26-2012 03:53 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by justinarias View Post
      jesus christ, i know how to work on my car, it was the cheap ass bolts that i used. i torqued them down to 33 ft/lbs and i was perfectly patient, i know better than to rush putting these things on.

but, not one of you answered my question. can i use normal bolts or not? i need my car asap and cant wait for the new ones to come in the mail.
      You could use any bolt you want.
      /////////

13. 07-26-2012 04:12 PM #13
      can i use normal bolts or not?
      Did you tighten them with an actual triplesquare bit, or did you use an Allen key?

You're looking for someone to tell you that it's ok to just throw any old bolt in. So, I'll answer your question. No. Use what is specified.

14. 07-26-2012 04:38 PM #14

If you know how to work on your car then you would have known the bolts weren't good quality.
      I can see you're so patient bro. BTW use some of the framing screws to hold it while you wait for the new ones.
      (BTW). Answer for your question is NO. Wait for the right ones.

Vehicles
      1995 MK3 Jetta 2.0, 1997 GTI VR6
      07-26-2012 04:38 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by dceola View Post

^^^^
      http://i.imgur.com/YaKvp.gif

Quote Originally Posted by I haz cheezeburgerz View Post
      I want my click back

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta Gls
      07-26-2012 04:43 PM #16
      alright ill order from GAP. thanks for the help

and bariman, i used a triple square bit, i promise.

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta Gls
      07-26-2012 04:46 PM #17
      ordered.

18. 07-26-2012 04:48 PM #18
      Also, make absolutely certain that the bit bottoms in the head of the bolt. Even good hardware will strip if you aren't grabbing enough.

Vehicles
      98 vw jetta 2.0
      07-26-2012 05:36 PM #19
      omg axle bolts are easy to install and remove sound like a bunch of cry babies on here

20. 07-26-2012 05:47 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by vura6 View Post
      sound like a bunch of cry babies on here

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '96 Golf Harlequin, '90 Corrado G60
      07-27-2012 02:39 AM #21
      I stripped damn near every axle bolt on the car... only got two of them out. They're getting cut off and replaced with ****ing hex heads. It depends on where you live and how rusty the **** is... give the dude a break... anyone can strip anything... some have way better luck than others...
      Her name is Skiddles. When you see her, you'll know why

22. 07-27-2012 04:14 AM #22
      I would think that so long as you can find a bolt of equivalent strength[img]http://www.**********/6d.jpg[/img][img]http://www.**********/d.jpg[/img]

23. 07-27-2012 05:34 AM #23
      If you strip a set of Triplesquares, what makes you think a hex/allen head bolt will fair better?

Do you understand WHY Triplesquares are used? Because they are hard as f*ck to strip.

If you are stripping them, its user error. Period.

For example, I've used an impact, on the SAME set of triplesquare bolts at least 20 times. (Many broken axles, many trans swaps, ect) They still look like new. I have yet to strip one after removing/installing more then I want to think about. Moving to triple squares on calipers was the best thing VW ever did. You have to TRY and strip them, unlike to old setup of Allen bolts, that stripped when you looked at them wrong.

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta Gls
      07-27-2012 01:04 PM #24
      so are you gonna help me out, or just make me look like a complete dumbfuck? i got my answer, i dont need your stupid ass input. thanks for the help bariman, apparently im a dumbass and am completely hopeless when it comes to axle bolts. ahhh gotta love vortex.

25. 07-27-2012 01:15 PM #25
      so are you gonna help me out, or just make me look like a complete dumbfuck? i got my answer, i dont need your stupid ass input. thanks for the help bariman, apparently im a dumbass and am completely hopeless when it comes to axle bolts. ahhh gotta love vortex.

You mad bro..? LOL
      Dude this is a public forum and everyone has an opinion/input. I bet you whatever you want that people who knows how to work on their cars,they wouldn't post this kind of question and I'm not saying you don't know how. I don't think read some other opinions can hurt you,can it? You shouldn't take it personal and learn. You efe'd up and ASKED. Besides they're some other people with the same problem than you had so they can read and learn as well.It's just matter of making this kind of thread useful for whoever needs it thats all.

Vehicles
      97 Jetta GLX, 99 Cabrio, 03 Sierra SLE, 90 XT600, 84 ATC200X, 78 CB750F, 66 S90
      07-27-2012 06:44 PM #26
      done