Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help me decide which BIG mountain to snowboard this season

Vehicles
      '87 16v GTi, '87 4000 Quattro 20vt, '95 Audi S6 Avant
      07-26-2012 12:25 PM #1
      Last winter some friends and I road tripped to Aspen, CO area from NC. This winter I'm looking for big mountains with lots of powder. I'm thinking Montana/Washington/Utah.

What big mountains do you think are the best for a budget?
      thisisthedailyrad blog
      thisisthedailyrad.wordpress.com/

Vehicles
      07-26-2012 12:26 PM #2
      A friend recommended Steven's Pass out side of Seattle. Anyone been there?
      thisisthedailyrad blog

3. Member
      07-27-2012 12:00 PM #3
      On a budget?

Jackson Hole, WY

Stay IN Teton Village (GREAT location) at the Hostel X
      http://www.thehostel.us/

I haven't been in a few years, but rates are SUPER inexpensive and you're literally right at the base of the mountain. Not the swankiest place to stay, but you can't beat the price for it's location.

Good Luck!!

- Matty

Vehicles
      08-02-2012 07:02 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by MattV-Dub View Post
      On a budget?

Jackson Hole, WY

Stay IN Teton Village (GREAT location) at the Hostel X
      http://www.thehostel.us/

I haven't been in a few years, but rates are SUPER inexpensive and you're literally right at the base of the mountain. Not the swankiest place to stay, but you can't beat the price for it's location.

Good Luck!!

- Matty
      Awesome! Thanks. What do you know about Big Sky in Montana? How about anything in Seattle area?
      thisisthedailyrad blog

5. Member
      08-03-2012 11:27 AM #5
      Just PM'd you

Vehicles
      2001 GTI GLS
      08-03-2012 09:08 PM #6
      I've personally always wanted to get out to Mt. Baker in Washington. I have no idea about costs but I'm pretty sure you can shred there on the cheap.

7. Member
      08-06-2012 12:31 PM #7
      Hey Hey...

I searched through some info I posted in an older thread. Here's a little extra 411 (*this is from ~2009):

- You'll fly into Jackson and then you'll need to take a shuttle to Jackson Hole (or to wherever you're staying). Go to: http://www.jacksonholealltrans.com/ They'll pick you up and drop you off when you leave for ~$50.

- For skiing/riding: Get up early and get on the first Tram!! Just follow the skiers/riders... places to look for are Rendezvous Bowl... Dick's Ditch... The Hobacks... there's a TON of great tree skiing (just look down!)... you gotta do the Headwall Hikes... and there are a few other reasonable in-bound hikes you can do as well. (just ask a Mountain Guide and they'll show you). When the Tram becomes a hassle.. just lap the Gondola. There are a ton of different ways down, so just explore and enjoy!!

- Lift tickets are expensive, but you can buy multi-day passes and save a few pennies. Sometimes you'll score with a local resident who might pick up a ticket for you at a discount as well .

- There's a bunch to do right at the mountain, but you'll want to head into town for sure. You can take a local bus (~$2.00 fare) right from the hill into town. Go to Billy's Burgers and clog your arteries. There are a few nicer places.. BBQ.. Thai.. whatever you like. There are a bunch of other places in town to check out as well (Just do a little research online and you'll see all the shops / restaurants there).. bring a camera... it's great!

- If you're doing a quick breakfast at the mountain, hit the diner that's directly under the Mangy Moose. It's cheap and gooood!

- The Four Seasons (and other base hotels) have their own bars and restaurants - and you should definitely check those out... but you'll see the obvious apres-ski hot spot is the Mangy Moose. You can't miss it.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by MattV-Dub; 08-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.

8. 09-22-2012 03:05 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Chomp On This View Post
      I've personally always wanted to get out to Mt. Baker in Washington. I have no idea about costs but I'm pretty sure you can shred there on the cheap.
      I live in Vancouver BC, and I go to Baker instead of Whistler, simply because its less overcrowded, way cheaper, more snow, and an amazing mountain!

Totally worth it! And if you wish, whistler is only 4hr drive from it.

9. 09-24-2012 08:50 PM #9
      First, what is your budget?

If your goal is strictly powder, go to Utah (if the West is having a good season...)

You can get some pretty great deals at the cliff lodge in Snowbird for 70-80/night including your lift ticket if you book the right time of year. If they are having a good snow year it is hard to compete with Wasatch powder.

Vehicles
      Car that looks good from afar.
      10-05-2012 02:39 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Rallyfreak202 View Post
      Awesome! Thanks. What do you know about Big Sky in Montana? How about anything in Seattle area?
      i went to Big Sky last winter with some friends. it was my first time out west so i have nothing to compare it to but i think it's safe to say we had ideal conditions 5 of the 6 days we were out there. Powder dumped on the upper peaks each evening and we were able to find fresh stuff all day long. Actually saw the sun a few days so it wasnt flat-light the whole time which was nice

we didnt stay at the base though, we lucked into a house about 5-10 miles away atop a different mountain. (knew a friend-of-a-friend kinda thing) so you'd have to check into lodging rates but i imagine there are plenty of options. the nice thing about Big Sky is you can also have access to Moonlight Basin if you buy an additional ticket. or you can just drive there and ride that for a day. it's the same terrain you just wont have access to Lone Peak.

definitely worth checking out imo

here's another thread discussing Big Sky a bit more:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...hlight=big+sky
      || Mk4 Wheel Offset and Stance Picture Index || ClearWaterDubs || ClearWaterDubs@VWVortex ||
      || Please don't PM me with offset questions, post in THIS THREAD instead ||

Vehicles
      E46 M3, XJ Cherokee
      10-07-2012 09:40 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by torxim View Post
      First, what is your budget?

If your goal is strictly powder, go to Utah (if the West is having a good season...)

You can get some pretty great deals at the cliff lodge in Snowbird for 70-80/night including your lift ticket if you book the right time of year. If they are having a good snow year it is hard to compete with Wasatch powder.
      Came to post this, leaving satisfied. I have a feeling its going to be a good season

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      10-07-2012 04:02 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Rallyfreak202 View Post
      What big mountains do you think are the best for a budget?
      Salt Lake City wins hands down. Tons of cheap lodging in Midvale and Sandy. You get to pick for Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude for an easy drive up the canyon, Canyons & Park City about 45 minutes away, Snow Basin and Powder Mountain a little farther. Compared to Colorado, lift ticket prices are much cheaper and you can get discounts in the local Salt Lake City ski/snowboard shops. Since you're in a real city, you also have much lower food costs than at most ski resorts.

Don't overlook "LITTLE" mountain alternatives. Personally, I really like places like Monarch in Colorado. It's only 1000 feet of vertical but it usually has a great skiing surface and it has lots of interesting terrain. Wolf Creek is another spot like that though that sees more traffic than Monarch. Both places have excellent sidecountry accessible with minimal hiking. Ski Santa Fe in New Mexico is also a little gem though you have to pick your weather since they don't get reliable snow.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      10-13-2012 12:21 PM #13
      Agreed. Went to Alta, snowbird, park city, brighton, snow basin, solitude and the canyons. All were excellent places. Alta was my personal favorite, probably a little bias though, because i did my first real (although little) "hike" there for skiing and did a little drop in. Pict is below that my parents took of me....

Alta for my trip had the best snow, but i've heard snow basin and solitude gets absolutely dumped on and taken advantage by mother nature.

Can't beat the price either. Theres a couple place around that sell lift tickets with your hotel for like 50% off. We stayed at a embassy suites and we got tickets to Alta for 35 bucks. The free breakfast was great there which saved money, plus it was actually good food, not the typical doughnuts and bagels stuff.

Heres a pict of mine......

14. 10-15-2012 12:45 PM #14
      I did Snowbird, Alta, and Deer Valley last year. We hit Snowbird the first day they opened up Mineral Basin on the back side. All great mountains.

Vehicles
      01-10-2013 02:58 PM #15
      Well, to follow up on this thread I chose Jackson Hole WY. It was AMAZING!!!!!

thisisthedailyrad blog

16. Member
      01-11-2013 12:15 PM #16
      Nice!!

Pics?? Videos??

Vehicles
      01-11-2013 05:55 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by MattV-Dub View Post
      Nice!!

Pics?? Videos??

Gopro video edit coming in a week or two.
      thisisthedailyrad blog