Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bilstein HD with Lowering Springs?

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta GLI platinum grey
      07-26-2012 04:59 PM #1
      So I am looking to buy some new struts for my mkv GLI (06) since I have had neuspeed sport springs on there for a while and I am assuming that my stock struts will eventually blow and leave me with a pretty lousy ride. I was looking at the Bilstein HDs, but when I looked into them I saw that you normally use them with stock springs. And the Bilstein sports are best for lowering springs. Could I use the HDs with my current neuspeed sports and if I ever decided to go a little lower with H&R super sports, could the bilstein HDs handle it or would it be problematic?

Basically is it okay to use Bilstein HD struts with lowering springs such as the neuspeed sports or H&R super sports?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      95 VW GOLF GL 170k, 1996 GTI 2.0
      07-28-2012 03:36 PM #2
      they just suggest that the sports are for lowering and not recommended for stock springs. but for the hd's it really depends on how low you want to go. the hd's are certainly adequate for lowering for sport/ street springs but not for slamming. they will be a bit softer than the sports so will offer a better ride quality than sports and are better for a daily driver. as a matter of fact i plan on using Touring class struts with hr oe sports. they are stiffer than stock shocks and are adequate for mild lowering.

Vehicles
      2004 R32
      07-28-2012 04:34 PM #3
      http://www.bilstein.de/en/products/s...vice/faqs.html

The Euro Bilstein website recommends springs that lower no more than 30mm for the HD shocks (B6).

My experience has been that Neuspeed will only recommend their Sofsport springs with HDs.

If you search posts the consensus is the HDs and Sports have the same valving and the only difference is
      the shafts are shorter on the sports.

Also some people find the Bilsteins too firm. I have had them on two VWs and you feel every imperfection in the road, but they handle great.

You should contact Aaron at Neuspeed for your application.
      Last edited by GTIXXX; 07-28-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta GLI platinum grey
      07-30-2012 02:24 PM #4
      Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it. I am probably going to hold off on the hds because my stock struts are holding up great with the neuspeed sports springs.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 2.0, 2012 Golf TDi
      07-30-2012 04:08 PM #5
      Bilstein shocks are digressively valved so they will feel a bit more harsh relative to a given linear rate spring. Digressive valving helps tires to warm up a little faster...you give up some ultimate cornering power, however.

But, these do work very well with Neuspeed's progressive springs.