Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bought 2012 tdi jsw and already issues!!!

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 JSW TDI
      07-26-2012 06:43 PM #1
      Need help. Just bought 2012 TDI JSW with 9miles on it. Drove home and when I went to start it up it clunkered and died. Then almost everytime I start it, it would take 10-30seconds to turn the engine over. It's in the shop after the 2nd day of owning it and they are saying it has bad fuel. Well I didn't put any gas in it so it's the factory/dealerships fault right? From what I've read bad fuel is almost deadly for the engine and will never be the same? What should I tell the dealer? Should I ask that a 60K warranty be put on with no charge?

Not stoked on having my car in the shop after only 2 days!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      07-26-2012 10:19 PM #2
      Im normally not one to say cause a bitch storm with dealers since I use to work at a VW dealership but tell them you want a new one. I can understand say 10k miles and have a possible issue cause things can go wrong but 2 days old with less then 100 miles likely. Thats just retarded!

I use too see a lot of 09 TDI's with issues but a good number of those old people using wrong fuel in them but I never saw any issues with TDIs that much.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      07-26-2012 10:38 PM #3
      Call VWoA. Open a case with customer care.

If it is a bad hpfp or gas contamination, demand a brand new JSW and compensation. They should give you one.

Do not talk to your dealer anymore, contact VWOA contact VWOA contact VWOA.

1.800.822.8987 press 1 for English IIRC and then 5 for customer care. Be polite but stern.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI 6MT
      07-27-2012 01:01 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post

If it is a bad hpfp or gas contamination, demand a brand new JSW and compensation. They should give you one.

1.800.822.8987 press 1 for English IIRC and then 5 for customer care. Be polite but stern.
      This.

5. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      95 MK3 - His / 09 JSW - Hers / 02 JSZ161 - His
      07-27-2012 07:32 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
      This.
      x2 good luck

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10 GSW
      07-27-2012 09:43 AM #6
      Bad fuel?!... Did they actually but gas instead of diesel in it?

7. 07-27-2012 11:17 AM #7
      I really want to see how this turns out. I want a JSW TDI but keep reading all these horror stories about faulty parts and crappy dealers.

Vehicles
      07-27-2012 11:24 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Dakarois View Post
      Bad fuel?!... Did they actually but gas instead of diesel in it?
      Sounds like it. It happens all the time, hence the sticker campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgb View Post
      I really want to see how this turns out. I want a JSW TDI but keep reading all these horror stories about faulty parts and crappy dealers.
      Nah get one.
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 JSW, 1991 Porsche 928GT
      07-27-2012 12:07 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by curiousgb View Post
      I was scared too, but took the plunge. No (mechanical) issues so far. A few squeaks and rattles, but easily taken car of.

If you;re not used to filling up with diesel, it's easy to pull up to the wrong pump. I did a couple of time right after i got the car. I really think that is the root of most problems (adding wrong fuel), but people won't admit their mistakes.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      07-27-2012 03:05 PM #10
      Though there's a lot of focus on individuals misfuelling diesels with gasoline, I suspect it's every bit as easy for the station's fuel tanks to be misfuelled in much the same way.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta sportwagon TDi/ 1992 lexus SC300
      07-27-2012 03:33 PM #11
      this is why I keep track of every receipt of fuel i put in my car. not only that I put the mileage on the receipt for proof.

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      07-27-2012 06:03 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post

9 miles and dead?

i would do the above.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      07-27-2012 08:46 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Biggu View Post
      this is why I keep track of every receipt of fuel i put in my car. not only that I put the mileage on the receipt for proof.
      Same here. I keep every fuel receipt.
      Aonarch's Blog!

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Golf Tdi MT & 2010 JSW 2.5 S MT
      07-28-2012 08:44 AM #14
      My buddy has a 2010 tdi and has issues since day 1. He's already had his intercooler replaced; but the bigger issue/problem is that it occasionaly won't shift into gear upon start-up.

He'll start the car, shift into reverse and the car won't go anywhere. When trying other gears it still won't engage - the display just blinks. He then has to shut the car off, restart it and then it works. He has 19k on the car; has had it in the shop for this problem no less than 10 times and each time they say they can't replicate the problem and it must be something he's doing.

The last time he went to pick it up it happened at the delearship when he was leaving. He left the car running and had the service rep come out, get in the car and try to shift; it wouldn't go anywhere. Their solution was to change the Brake light switch - they did, but it didn't solve the issue. He applied for Lemon Law here in NY State and has been accepted and will be going to arbitration in the coming weeks.

He got home last night and there's this letter from VW with sticker's to attach to the car saying it needs diesel not regular gas. It's almost like they're insulting our intelligence with these stickers. I'm sure the people who bought tdi's know they did and realize it needs diesel.

VW has had diesels for a long time and never felt like they needed to send stickers out before. The problem seems to be with the engines not the people. Come on VW, own up to your problems - stop blaming everyone else.
      I'm not good with numbers, I just count on knowing when I'm high enough

15. 07-31-2012 12:26 PM #15
      Everyone who said take it back is right. If it was misfueled you don't want it. Not a good way to start out with a great car. we are all interested in what happens. JP