Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Unitronic mini review (2009 Rabbit)

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      07-26-2012 07:08 PM #1
      Hey guys! I just thought I post up a thread on my newest mod for my 2.5... unitronic stage 1 chip. I got it chipped today at 4 pm, and the 20 minute drive home was a fun one to say the least. I got the stage 1 because 93 (or did the higher stages require 94?) isn't widely available in my neck of the words (only one brand carries it, I wouldn't want to force myself to seek these specific stations, especially if im out of town and the gas light is on...)

So, although there are no dyno results, the drive home certainly had me feeling the gains. I have a Carbonio/APR cold air intake

Low end there isn't much of a gain. Mid range either. Now, when I dig deep into the rev range however
      Car DEFENITELY pulls harder. I would have loved to have a dyno of before and after, but im absolutely positive the gains are there. Also, although I only drove briefly with the chip, I did over 150 kms and I only spent a quarter tank of gas. Usually I do 120-130 kms per quarter tank... and I was driving HARD! Ill let you guys know about the fuel economy benefits later... next time I fill up this will be my "economy" tank, im sure theres going to be measurable gains there as well (unlike the power which would need a dyno, i can at least measure the mpg gains)

Anyways, service at unitronic (I got it done at their headquarters) was very good/professional. Everyone was friendly. Done in about 25 minutes. It seems like a worthwhile modification, I wont regurgitate what's been said about gains with chips on N/A cars as you all know that they'll be minimal at best, but the point is, im satisfied with this modification. Ill be getting my AWE exhaust in a few weeks time, and then im going to be done with the "power" mods. Time to start saving for suspension and wheels

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      07-26-2012 07:26 PM #2
      congrats!

i've always wanted to swing by Uni HQ.

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      07-26-2012 07:30 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by thygreyt View Post
      congrats!

i've always wanted to swing by Uni HQ.
      Thank you!

Uni HQ is a lil far from Florida tho

Vehicles
      1999 jetta gls vr6, 2008 2.5 4 door attack rabbit
      07-26-2012 08:21 PM #4
      should have gotten unitedmotorsports tune

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      07-26-2012 08:29 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by vrsick147 View Post
      No dealer nearby. Is it really any better? Its all said and done now, I ain't got no remorse

Vehicles
      2007/VW/Jetta 2.5
      07-26-2012 08:59 PM #6
      awesome! im right there with ya on saving for suspension and wheels!!!

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      07-26-2012 09:07 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MK5golf View Post
      Thank you!

Uni HQ is a lil far from Florida tho
      lol, WAY too far. but i want to see it.. same with montreal. i gotta go there and eat on the dark restaurant (forgot the name) and i have to get to know old port. everyone talks about it. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by vrsick147 View Post
      i agree, but not EVERYONE will get UM. lol.

to some people it isnt feasible.. and if he has a tuning company as close as he has unitronic, i dont see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by MK5golf View Post
      No dealer nearby. Is it really any better? Its all said and done now, I ain't got no remorse
      i know i have read around about canadians not being able to fully enjoy UM. i know the "situation" will get solved soon.

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      07-26-2012 09:39 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by thygreyt View Post
      lol, WAY too far. but i want to see it.. same with montreal. i gotta go there and eat on the dark restaurant (forgot the name) and i have to get to know old port. everyone talks about it. lol.
      Montreal is a great city! If you like hockey you can catch a habs game. old montreal is very nice, but honestly old quebec (city) is much nicer, older, and vast. (founded in 1608!)
      And the dark restaurant is called O' noir (Noir being french for black ie dark restaurant. O being a play on words for Aux which means at). ive honestly never been, a friend of mine said the waiter dropped wine on her, and another said the food was good but over priced. I think ill go eventually, if you do end up coming here get some smoked meat! (Schwartz, Dunns, Main, Smoked Meat pete... you can thank me latter! and stay away from generic restaurants for proper smoked meat!) Plenty of clubs and bars, last call is 3 am!
      And when you have a chance you can pass by Unitronic HQ

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      08-20-2012 04:58 PM #9
      Alright so ive noticed a 2-3 mpg increase since the chip. I just did a tank where I got 27 mpgs. AC was always on, I drove it kinda hard too lol. Im sure if i tried low 30s would be easy, mid 30s more than attainable (if mostly highway)
      Z is pronounced ZED

10. Member
      Vehicles
      10' Golf Mk6 2.5 MT
      08-20-2012 05:36 PM #10
      I have stage 2 unitronic with supporting mods and yes I have found the same observation at below 4k there is not much difference. Once your over 4k there is a slightly more of a nudge. Which is also shown by the before and after dyno runs I did with and without software. Over 4k the gains were higher while before there was only a slight difference. I was still hoping for more of a gain but its a small na engine not much to do really.
      5 cylinder FTW

Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      08-20-2012 11:54 PM #11
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp