Thread: Ford Plans New Pickup With Aluminum Body

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 GTO, 1993 Toyota Camry, 1997 Chevy Lumina
      07-26-2012 11:39 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Lol no problem.

I agree though.

The new F150 is bigger than the previous F350...

Well 2013 buyers that don't like the size increase, and are looking for a smaller pickup can always buy a Ranger.

Getting it home from the Latin America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific regions? Well, the details will work themselves out, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      Just wait till carbon fiber becomes more affordable, then you'll have plastic that's stronger than steel, unlike what Saturn used.
      Don't think it was much of a strength problem. The panels on my old SL2 held up fine in my teenage years, the problem was the fit of the panels was just plain awful, which makes the car look like it was put together like a Barbie Jeep at Walmart.
      Last edited by KenP; 07-26-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Needed to add a bit of panel gap.

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      07-27-2012 12:01 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Zstampe View Post
      Yeah, it's working great for Saturn....

I used to love Saturn for their body panels that would shatter to bits in extreme cold.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI 24V VR6
      07-27-2012 02:01 AM #28
      Smaller GM "Truck" = El Camino? My dad would be in for that!

Hopefully the move toward Aluminum/Carbon Fiber also affects the repair industry otherwise there is going to be a lot of ****ty banged up trucks in 5 years.

Vehicles
      05 S2000
      07-27-2012 02:07 AM #29
      Ford/GM should just import Utes from Australia to sell as small trucks. They will get considerably better fuel economy vs a small truck, even in V8 guise.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      07-27-2012 03:43 AM #30
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      05 S2000
      07-27-2012 04:14 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Of course they'll say that. Do you really think they say "in 2014 our trucks will get 10% fuel economy vs the previous generation? "

07-27-2012 04:27 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by invisiblewar View Post
      I dont think plastic siding will work on trucks, just from the beating they take. Youd probably see a lot of crack fenders.
      The drop-in plastic bed liner in my last work truck would disagree with you. That thing took a heck of a beating without cracking.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      07-27-2012 04:39 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
      Of course they'll say that. Do you really think they say "in 2014 our trucks will get 10% fuel economy vs the previous generation? "
      Don't shoot the messenger, all I did was provide a link.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Grand Prix
      07-27-2012 05:35 AM #34
      They really bumped up the size of pickups. It is crazy to see the generations parked next to each other.
      1997 -> 2004 -> 2009

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
      07-27-2012 08:29 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
      Well 2013 buyers that don't like the size increase, and are looking for a smaller pickup can always buy a Ranger.
      I think they're killing the ranger.

Don't think it was much of a strength problem. The panels on my old SL2 held up fine in my teenage years, the problem was the fit of the panels was just plain awful, which makes the car look like it was put together like a Barbie Jeep at Walmart.
      I had a saturn for my first car, and I freaking loved it. The Saturn SL series cars were great cars and sold well, they ran into problems because GM let the brand stagnate. The Ion had regular steel panels, but more importantly, it sucked giant balls.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      07-27-2012 08:34 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
      Ford/GM should just import Utes from Australia to sell as small trucks. They will get considerably better fuel economy vs a small truck, even in V8 guise.
      Any fuel economy figures for the Australian utes vs. a similar weight/size small pick up?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      07-27-2012 08:41 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      Exactly - this is why all of the people who go out and buy $40K pickup trucks and then start complaining about how much it's costing them in gas every week need to be smacked upside the head I really wish the government would just tax the hell out of full sized trucks/SUV's and then maybe they'd go away. Cue the "but I use my full size truck/SUV ALL the time for different stuff and not just to commute or people haul" crowd......
      So, is your problem with the size of the vehicle or the fuel-economy of the large vehicles?

If GM, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Ram equipped their full-sized trucks and SUVs with light duty diesels (which Nissan and Ram will be doing soon), and delivered HWY fuel economy in the high-twenties or low-thirties, would you still have the same opinion?

If your concern is purely fuel economy, how do you feel about large luxury sedans, sports sedans, and sports cars? A V8 S-Class Mercedes is probably not a whole lot more fuel-efficient than a standard F150 or Ram.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      07-27-2012 08:42 AM #38
      Well 2013 buyers that don't like the size increase, and are looking for a smaller pickup.....
      ....are so few that Ford doesn't need to waste money accommodating them. Seriously. You guys have no idea how few truck buyers care about how big their truck is. They're perfectly happy with a fullsize truck.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

07-27-2012 08:43 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
      1997 -> 2004 -> 2009

Ahh thanks for the picture!

Ranger is dead btw.
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      07-27-2012 08:50 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
      1997 -> 2004 -> 2009

I think part of the illusion that trucks are getting significantly bigger is the fact that we went from almost no crew cabs 15 years ago to crew cabs being the most popular body style. Trucks got better, so people were better able to use them as family cars in addition to whatever they were using them for before.

If you look just a crew cabs with 5.5' boxes, the F-150 has gone from:

2001 - 225.9" L - 79.3" W - 73.9" H

2004 - 224" L - 78.9" W - 73.1" H

2009 - 231.7" L - 78.9" W - 74.3" H

That's not a lot of change given the overall size we're already talking about.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      07-27-2012 08:51 AM #41
      Ahh thanks for the picture!

Ranger is dead btw.
      There is no doubt that the F150 has gotten bigger with the generations, but the fuel-economy and safety has also improved through the generations. So, are we complaining about size or fuel economy?

Also, a forced perspective photograph will always make the item in the foreground look way bigger than the things in the background.

07-27-2012 08:56 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      There is no doubt that the F150 has gotten bigger with the generations, but the fuel-economy and safety has also improved through the generations. So, are we complaining about size or fuel economy?

Also, a forced perspective photograph will always make the item in the foreground look way bigger than the things in the background.
      I'll clarify my opinion;

I wish the Ford pickups had great size differentiations. I wish they had a compact, mid-size, and a full-size pickup, instead of the F series which 1-3 are relatively the same size. Maybe they should change the body sizes on the trucks. Make the 150 the standard, the 250 slightly larger, and then the 350 larger than that. It just seems silly that the 350 and the 150 are the same size.

Hopefully they will bring the danger Ranger back with big improvements.
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      07-27-2012 08:57 AM #43
      Sure they are nice trucks now but I can't get over their size. There is no need to be such a monster. The old ones still fit standard sheets of plywood/drywall and other building materials even though they were smaller. The model from 97 was a bit cramped in the rear but that's it, other then that it was a good pickup.

19. 07-27-2012 08:58 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Uh, yes... this. I swear people are getting dumber all the time.
      Bowtie wearing, tattooed, Mini driver

Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Yeah, I've bypassed y'all and go straight to r/cars.

20. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      07-27-2012 09:00 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by caddy 2 dope View Post
      Why aluminum?
      Why not plastic?
      Plastic is cheaper, lighter, and dent resistant....
      Worked for GM with their Saturn brand didn't it?
      You are assuming they will be the same gage metal as the steel body panels.

Go look at 98+ Ranger hoods.
      They are all aluminum and even more dent resistant then the previous hoods because they are a thicker gage.
      The reasoning for putting an aluminum hood on the Ranger was because it made it light enough to remove the heavy helper spring, thus lowering overall production cost.
      I suspect the manufacturers will find new ways to save money even with lighter body panels.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 07-27-2012 at 09:11 AM.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      07-27-2012 09:01 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      I think part of the illusion that trucks are getting significantly bigger is the fact that we went from almost no crew cabs 15 years ago to crew cabs being the most popular body style. Trucks got better, so people were better able to use them as family cars in addition to whatever they were using them for before.

On paper it doesn't look like much but once you get inside one and have to squeeze into somewhere those few inches make a huge difference.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      07-27-2012 09:02 AM #47
      I wish the Ford pickups had great size differentiations. I wish they had a compact, mid-size, and a full-size pickup, instead of the F series which 1-3 are relatively the same size. Maybe they should change the body sizes on the trucks. Make the 150 the standard, the 250 slightly larger, and then the 350 larger than that. It just seems silly that the 350 and the 150 are the same size.
      I'm not against having a smaller size available to choose from, but the current setup isn't silly. The duty rating of the truck and how much it's designed to carry or tow shouldn't dictate it get a larger or smaller body. Not everyone needs the diesel's capacity or a dually setup... but why would the people that do need a larger cab? Why would people who use their 1/2 tons as family vehicles want a smaller cab?

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      07-27-2012 09:18 AM #48
      I'll clarify my opinion;

I wish the Ford pickups had great size differentiations. I wish they had a compact, mid-size, and a full-size pickup, instead of the F series which 1-3 are relatively the same size..
      If there was significant demand for midsize trucks, then perhaps they would, but as I said earlier, I don't think most truck buyers actually care. They're concerned mostly with price and features, not with size.

Maybe they should change the body sizes on the trucks. Make the 150 the standard, the 250 slightly larger, and then the 350 larger than that. It just seems silly that the 350 and the 150 are the same size.
      The differentiation there is load and towing capacity. There's very little demand for a variety of sizes, there's a demand for a variety of levels of capability. The HD models are more powerful, have stouter frames, can tow more, and can haul more - that's what -250 and -350 denote. They're a little bigger, but that's not really the point.

Hopefully they will bring the danger Ranger back with big improvements.
      If it costs the same as an F-150, and most of their customers don't actually care what size their truck is, why would they bother? The global Ranger would cost fully as much as an F-150 to produce, so the margins would be lower, but it's not even that much smaller than an F-150.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 07-27-2012 at 09:21 AM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      07-27-2012 09:21 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

Exactly. A lot of the size change is visual because of styling changes. Front ends get squared off, and hoods and beltines get higher to create that squared off style. Look at the hood height difference generation to generation.

There's a ton of wasted space in today's full sizers under the skin to create those tall, squared-off looks.

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      07-27-2012 09:31 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Exactly. A lot of the size change is visual because of styling changes. Front ends get squared off, and hoods and beltines get higher to create that squared off style. Look at the hood height difference generation to generation.

There's a ton of wasted space in today's full sizers under the skin to create those tall, squared-off looks.
      x2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast