Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another SuperCharged Delinquent: Cspence’s VF/HPA/vwgeorge2 Stage 2+ Build

Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '05 E320 CDI / '87 GTI VRT
      07-26-2012 09:26 PM #1
      Well, this was a highly anticipated event (for me). Since taking ownership in late 2009, I’ve been envious of every .:R owner that had boost. At first I wanted a supercharger since back then there were not so many turbo’d cars, then I was dead set on going turbo, but after some deliberation, I finally decided to go with my gut and join the now outkasts lol. I don’t want this to turn into another turbo vs SC thread…we all know a turbo setup will make more power, but after many sleepless nights, I truly feel that this was the best decision for me. Along with this, as luck would have it, I was able to purchase what I believe to be the best used SC kit available (vwgeorge2's kit: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-New-Condition) Anyways I wanted to start a thread to document my progress and to have somewhere to post some questions.

The VF/HPA Hybrid Kit:

Last look at the car N/A and of the tiny condo garage where the build will be taking place. (First order of business was to clean the garage )

Decided to attempt making the MAF wiring harness extension PnP. Waiting on the female connector, but here is the sacraficed sensor for one end of the harness. Although this one will work, I am currently looking for another "bad" MAF to give it another try. I learned a few things the first go around, and think I could do much better if given a second shot.

Tear down has begun:

EIP Charge pipe that came in today! Rather than using the plastic piping that runs near the fans and alon the side of the motor, I thought this was a better solution, plus it can be polished and the metal will make the installation of a water meth nozzel easier. Anyways, l glass bead blasted it about 5 minutes after picking it up from the post office and its now ready to be polished. I haven't decided if I'm going to remove the bov flange, or just buy or make a cover plate for it.
      Last edited by Cspence; 07-26-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      07-26-2012 10:18 PM #2
      Looking forward to seeing this build. Im jealous of that kit haha. Good luck man!
      *2004 R32. *TT Cams. *Evo MS Intake. *BW/UM 93/E85 File. *USP/Magnaflow Test Pipe. *Res+Pancake Pipe Delete. *42DD Ultimate Catch Can. *HPA Short Shifter with 42DD+Verdict Motorsport Bushings. *17x8 Gold Enkei RPF1.

Vehicles
      2004 VW .:R32 S/C 78' Kawasaki kz650SR built
      07-26-2012 10:34 PM #3
      glad to see another supercharger hit the streets! have fun with the build
      (O : o)=R32=W====(o : O)
      I <3 (.Y.)
      If you don't like my post. IDGAF.

Vehicles
      04 VW R32 TRed, 05 Jetta Wagon Blk/Orange
      07-26-2012 10:54 PM #4
      Congrats! Can't wait to see this one.

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      07-26-2012 11:19 PM #5
      Looking good
      Laz

Many people enjoy eating apples and oranges, but in the end they are still… just apples and oranges. The R32 is passion fruit. . Live Long and Prosper.

Vehicles
      MK4 S/C R32, MK1 Phaeton V8, MK6 TDI Jetta...Totaled
      07-27-2012 12:53 AM #6
      Looking forward to the final product, aaaaaand the dyno.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-final-fantasy....

Stage 7= VF, HPA= V7-ysi, A/W Intake, Dual Jet Water/Meth, UM E-85 Flex 870cc, ProMAF, 268 Cams, SS Header, SS Mid pipe, Custom intake, Brisk plugs, Lambo flapper

Vehicles
      Euro 2001 MKIV 2.8 V6 4motion (5 door) - HGP Turbo
      07-27-2012 02:49 AM #7
      HGP-T 450PS, Unibrace, 225/40/18 AD08s, OZ Ultraleggera, Light BBK F&R, Recaro Interior, .:R extras, MFD Navi, Phatbox, JCaps, Neuspeed, PSS9s, H2Sport Stage 3, DLI-Teknik, GC links, bHPP, etc...

Vehicles
      04' R32 HPA EFR Turbo
      07-27-2012 03:01 AM #8
      Hey looky there, my old HPA intake piece...

The little nozzle looking thing at the top near the impeller coupling end is for a crank case vent that first should go to a catch-can, then a tube to that connector to direct the vent gas back into the intake. Otherwise, you would need an atmosphere vent, which IMO reeks. Make sure not to over tighten the belt, you'll have SC seal/bearing and waterpump issues for sure otherwise. Good luck on the install. The best part of this is you have some upgrade options for the future. You should be able to reclock the SC and integrate the HPA air/water setup quite easily if you're so inclined to add more power down the road.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Blue Car
      07-27-2012 07:09 AM #9
      sub'd for sure!
      DBP .:R

Vehicles
      10 JSW SE, 04.:R
      07-27-2012 07:16 AM #10
      Awesome!

Vehicles
      04 R32, 00 A4 1.8T, 88 911 Targa
      07-27-2012 07:30 AM #11
      After seeing a few SC threads and the new rotex brackets from UM im thinking this could be a pretty easy install actually...

SC with bracket, switch the cooler to the other side/remount up front somewhere.
      HPA AWIC manifold - piping to it... gotta decide the route which will be the hardest piece...

Then its just tuning/fueling... I think you can get away with this for pretty cheap actually...

With the battery removed the intake gone from that side... i think you could make this work pretty easily actually... hardest part will be the 2500 for the SC and 2500 for the intake manifold...
      Garage Sale
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Nothing makes sense on this forum anymore. So I'm going to go masturbate.

Vehicles
      Euro 2001 MKIV 2.8 V6 4motion (5 door) - HGP Turbo
      07-27-2012 07:53 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Yak Meat View Post
      i think you could make this work pretty easily actually... hardest part will be the 2500 for the SC and 2500 for the intake manifold...
      I dont want to jack this guys build thread, but thats 5000 already. Do you think you can make it from there to turn key solution for less than an additional 3000? In theory yes. In reality Im not so sure since unexpected things easily seem to come up on DIY projects...
      HGP-T 450PS, Unibrace, 225/40/18 AD08s, OZ Ultraleggera, Light BBK F&R, Recaro Interior, .:R extras, MFD Navi, Phatbox, JCaps, Neuspeed, PSS9s, H2Sport Stage 3, DLI-Teknik, GC links, bHPP, etc...

Vehicles
      04 R32, 00 A4 1.8T, 88 911 Targa
      07-27-2012 09:00 AM #13
      no not at all... not talking money easy, more so install easy... everyone seems to shy away from DIY SCs but they are easier than turbos...
      Garage Sale
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Nothing makes sense on this forum anymore. So I'm going to go masturbate.

Vehicles
      BT MK6 GLI, and other non VW stuff..
      07-27-2012 09:50 AM #14
      good stuff.

Vehicles
      07-27-2012 10:06 AM #15

Stage 7= VF, HPA= V7-ysi, A/W Intake, Dual Jet Water/Meth, UM E-85 Flex 870cc, ProMAF, 268 Cams, SS Header, SS Mid pipe, Custom intake, Brisk plugs, Lambo flapper

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      07-27-2012 10:55 AM #16
      I TR
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      98' Ginster GTI VR6, 04' BMP murdered out SC stg 4 R32, 08' GSXR 1k, 2014 Ducati Panigali 1199 R
      07-27-2012 11:25 AM #17
      looking forward to the progress Welcome to the SC+ group!

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 R32
      07-27-2012 11:39 AM #18

Vehicles
      07-27-2012 12:21 PM #19
      Thanks for all the support guys! I just ordered up most of the other goodies I need for install last night. (Sealant for the pan, intake & VC gaskets, exhaust gaskets & hardware, etc) Also picked up a Forge Splitter DV to give a whirl. First order of business is going to be pulling my intake and dropping the subframe so I can swap in my ported exhaust manifolds and the "new" DP (With a WBO2 bung) to replace mine which has a shot flex joint.

Quote Originally Posted by vwgeorge2 View Post
      Thanks! Now to decide where to mount it . Maybe I'll make a custom vent pod for it since its too big for the CIM pod (http://conceptsinmotion.net/store/st...category_id=17)

Vehicles
      07-27-2012 11:44 PM #20
      Well, not too much of an update, but this came in the mail today for my DIY driver's side vent pod.... Beats spending $175 for the one from Kerma TDI (http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-...ir-Vent/Detail) My plan is to put my WBO2 in this pod, and then either buy the CIM unit or figure out a way to put the VDO gauge that Bill posted above into the same middle vent location. Maybe I'll put it behind the vent like in the picture above...Too bad I can't make things easy and just put them on the pillar or column I want to keep my car incognito (and not have pillar gauges or a bright silver IC that scream, I really do have something under the hood) so I can mess with some people . I know I know, the supercharger noise is a dead give away, but I'm hoping that driving down the road or on the highway my victims won't here it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...iver-Side-Vent

Also started my PnP MAF extension....female connector is all set, now to just figure out the best approach for the other side. I can't get the wires to set properly on the "Tabs" I left on the hacked up MAF....Any ideas?

Last edited by Cspence; 07-27-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Vehicles
      BMP .:R32 Supercharged , '13 CC (POS)
      07-28-2012 05:37 AM #21
      Chris!!!!! Nice to see you finally begin this project. Sad to say that you and the world will be done with your build before me, but Im glad to be able to track someone elses new Supercharger project and live my fantasy through your build.

I thought about it the other day, I dont see a lot of BMP or TR R32s anymore, so this is deff nice to see ur car going under the knife.

progress looking good so far meng. Cannot wait to see the finished result

Vehicles
      07-28-2012 02:50 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by BOUDAH View Post
      Chris!!!!! Nice to see you finally begin this project. Sad to say that you and the world will be done with your build before me, but Im glad to be able to track someone elses new Supercharger project and live my fantasy through your build.

I thought about it the other day, I dont see a lot of BMP or TR R32s anymore, so this is deff nice to see ur car going under the knife.

progress looking good so far meng. Cannot wait to see the finished result
      Thanks . I may be done before you, but your setup is going to be insane! Lucky for you, I'm a photo maniac and take tons of pictures, so there will be plenty for you to look at

Anyways, I figured out my soldering problem....my iron was crap and so was the solder. I bought a new electric soldering iron and some resin core electronics solder (and scuffed up the tabs on the MAF) and all is well now. Tested the harness today and it works mint, car runs with it! I figured it would be a good idea to test it out now before I go screwing with everything on the car and make diagnosing a problem harder.

Put in the vent pod....when I get my AFR gauge I'll probably have to trim a little more inside the vent for running wires, but other than that it should be good. I'm really surprised how well it came out. In the back of my mind I thought it was going to look "hacked", but it looks legit for $15 and 2 hours of my time

Now its time to put the car in the air and do work!

Vehicles
      07-28-2012 03:17 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Cspence View Post
      Thanks . I may be done before you, but your setup is going to be insane! Lucky for you, I'm a photo maniac and take tons of pictures, so there will be plenty for you to look at

Anyways, I figured out my soldering problem....my iron was crap and so was the solder. I bought a new electric soldering iron and some resin core electronics solder (and scuffed up the tabs on the MAF) and all is well now. Tested the harness today and it works mint, car runs with it! I figured it would be a good idea to test it out now before I go screwing with everything on the car and make diagnosing a problem harder.

Put in the vent pod....when I get my AFR gauge I'll probably have to trim a little more inside the vent for running wires, but other than that it should be good. I'm really surprised how well it came out. In the back of my mind I thought it was going to look "hacked", but it looks legit for $15 and 2 hours of my time

Now its time to put the car in the air and do work!

Chris, your getting stuff done! Looks great...

Dont forget to put some black RTV around those fragile connections.

I cant wait to see the boost tube setup you make, its going to be awesome!

BTW I only use Silver bearing solder from Radio Shack, it works great!

I just took my car out for a blast after reading all this stuff, I guess after the sun sets im going to play with my new toys?

Keep up the good work.

Bill
      Last edited by vwgeorge2; 07-28-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Vehicles
      07-28-2012 04:14 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by vwgeorge2 View Post
      Chris, your getting stuff done! Looks great...

Dont forget to put some black RTV around those fragile connections.

I cant wait to see the boost tube setup you make, its going to be awesome!

BTW I only use Silver bearing solder from Radio Shack, it works great!

I just took my car out for a blast after reading all this stuff, I guess after the sun sets im going to play with my new toys?

Keep up the good work.

Bill
      Not a bad idea. I was looking for some non-conductive silicon at the parts store, but not sure it even exists. Some black rtv should do fine though. Right now I just have heat shrink and electrical tape on the joints. I'm real excited for the charge pipe as well...can't wait to get the intercooler mounted so I can start to mock things up.

Take some some videos will ya! I need some more motivation

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen Golf
      07-28-2012 06:45 PM #25
      ...loving the pics, excellent start!

Vehicles
      07-29-2012 01:26 AM #26
      Not a bad idea. I was looking for some non-conductive silicon at the parts store, but not sure it even exists. Some black rtv should do fine though. Right now I just have heat shrink and electrical tape on the joints. I'm real excited for the charge pipe as well...can't wait to get the intercooler mounted so I can start to mock things up.

Take some some videos will ya! I need some more motivation

I use dielectric grease on everything, all my connections have it.

Most important was the Haldex plug...

27. Member
      Vehicles
      04 BMP R32, 87 16v Rocco stripped and caged(sold). 99 passat: low and slow(gone) 89 Gti 16v(rip)
      07-29-2012 01:59 AM #27
      Wow love it! I'm super jealous
      BMP .:R
      @sasquatch16v

Vehicles
      07-29-2012 10:23 PM #28
      Well, made some good progress today/tonight. Got my EIP charge pipe polished (Not to the mirror finish I want, but its a good start), got the car in the air, drained the PS fluid & removed the cooler, trimmed the front carrier, mounted the intercooler, and trimmed & fit the bumper. Bluer3204 sent me some pics of how he mounted his PS cooler in front of the IC (Pictures below), so now I'm going to see if I can manage to do the same. Things are damn tight! If I can't get it in there, I'm just going to either mount it under the IC / Rad or delete it....but the perfectionist in me wants to keep it. The only thing that freaks me out about mounting it under the IC / Rad is that it seems like it would be vulnerable....although if something somehow ripped off the cooler, I would probably have bigger problems . Anyways, next on deck is:

Fitting the PS Cooler
      Relocating the PS Res
      Deleting the windsheild washer Res
      Deleting the Aux Radiator
      Figure out my post IC charge piping
      Trim the carrier for the SC inlet pipe

Once my gaskets and such come in, then I'm going to pull the intake, drop the subframe, and replace my DP and put in my ported manifolds.

More pictures tomorrow!

Bluer3204's Car:

Mounting under the IC & Rad:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ghlight=cooler

Vehicles
      07-30-2012 04:13 AM #29
      Well, not too much of an update, but this came in the mail today for my DIY driver's side vent pod.... Beats spending $175 for the one from Kerma TDI (http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-...ir-Vent/Detail) My plan is to put my WBO2 in this pod, and then either buy the CIM unit or figure out a way to put the VDO gauge that Bill posted above into the same middle vent location. Maybe I'll put it behind the vent like in the picture above...Too bad I can't make things easy and just put them on the pillar or column I want to keep my car incognito (and not have pillar gauges or a bright silver IC that scream, I really do have something under the hood) so I can mess with some people . I know I know, the supercharger noise is a dead give away, but I'm hoping that driving down the road or on the highway my victims won't here it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...iver-Side-Vent

Also started my PnP MAF extension....female connector is all set, now to just figure out the best approach for the other side. I can't get the wires to set properly on the "Tabs" I left on the hacked up MAF....Any ideas?

Chris,

Your thread motivated me to install the gauge kit I got at waterfest.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Bill

Last edited by vwgeorge2; 08-22-2012 at 03:13 AM.

Vehicles
      mk4 r32t /mk6 dsg golf tdi
      07-30-2012 10:42 AM #30

Vehicles
      07-30-2012 09:39 PM #31
      Pictures as promised .

Harness all complete with some RTV:

Charge pipe somewhat polished:

Bumper Trimming:

PS Cooler Fitment (I must admit, this was the most frustrating part of the install thus far ) :

Vehicles
      04 DBP R32
      07-30-2012 09:46 PM #32
      Looking good Chris! Keep up the good work!

Rich

Vehicles
      2004 RS R32
      07-30-2012 09:57 PM #33
      Welcome to the club. Have fun with it and see you at H2O!!!!!

Vehicles
      07-30-2012 10:34 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by NJVWR32 View Post
      Welcome to the club. Have fun with it and see you at H2O!!!!!
      I can't wait, I wish the install was done already! BTW, I still need a ride in your car Pat!

Vehicles
      mk4 r32t /mk6 dsg golf tdi
      07-31-2012 01:39 PM #35
      whoa what the heck is this thing?

does that heat up so it cuts the plastic like butter?

that looks awesome!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast