Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: O2C Gears Interchangable?

Vehicles
      77' Rabbit 16v, '92 Passat Syncro Wagon1.8t
      07-27-2012 12:14 AM #1
      I am getting to the point where I am going to start upping the boost on my 1.8t setup. I have the boost control on and running well at 15psi and the engine/drivetrain has held up well for the past 5 years running 22-25psi with the previous owners.

I am looking to get a set of gears as a backup in case the transmission in the syncro decides to grenade, is the gears out of a O2A/J interchangable with the O2C? Is there any fwd gears that are? I would ideally like to find gears that work and are similar if not the same, and get them cryo treated to hold a few more hp, without dropping the coin on a full custom set of gear haha

Vehicles
      92 VR-T syncro GTI, 2011 husaberg FS570, 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
      07-28-2012 10:04 PM #2
      any 02a/02j gear will work.

rather than treating the gears, you'll probably have better luck by adding a pinion brace.

Vehicles
      07-28-2012 11:55 PM #3
      Open to anything really, I have always read the transmission, namely 3rd, start having issues over 300hp. We killed 3rd gear in our o2j in the rally car with only 190whp.

Even just being able to replace the gears with something common is great news.

Any details on the pinion brace?

Vehicles
      07-29-2012 01:56 AM #4
      gears break from casings flexing. So if you eliminate the casing flex, the gears dont break (or nearly as easy at least)

VAP Motorsports sell a pinion brace, as does AP tuning. The upside/downside of the APtuning one is that you send them your housing, and they machine it so that the brace/cuff fits perfectly.

check out the tech/drag racing forum, there is lots of tranny info on there.

p.s. its TQ not HP that breaks things.

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 09:15 PM #5
      Thank you for the tip, we ordered one for the Rally car straight away from USRT and got it installed, we are preparing for the Olympus rally so this was a welcomed upgrade! We have always had transmission issues, so hopefully the brace + the AP tuning gearset will keep us alive and running!

Going to add this to my syncro the next time the transmission comes out, looking at an engine rebuild later this summer unfortunately

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 09:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by -RalleyTuned- View Post
      Thank you for the tip, we ordered one for the Rally car straight away from USRT and got it installed, we are preparing for the Olympus rally so this was a welcomed upgrade! We have always had transmission issues, so hopefully the brace + the AP tuning gearset will keep us alive and running!

Going to add this to my syncro the next time the transmission comes out, looking at an engine rebuild later this summer unfortunately
      make sure that the shift fork doesnt hit it. If it does, you'll have throw out bearing problems.