Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anyone have any experience with the FN45?

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      07-27-2012 08:40 AM #1
      I'm interested in getting a pistol chambered in .45ACP...

I find the FN45 quite intriguing but have never even seen one in person. I have experience with the FN57, which is obviously quite different, but I was impressed with the build quality, controls, and so on.

The other pistols that I've considered are some sort of P220, probably the Combat, and the HK45. I already own a few SIGs, so muscle memory gives the P220 an advantage. With the HK, I'm fairly comfortable with the hinky mag release due to my previous duty weapon being a P2000.

All of these are in the $900-1100 range... They're obviously too big for concealed carry and would simply be range toys and _____ apocalypse use. Threaded barrel is a plus. Any thoughts?

BTW, I don't want a Glock...

2. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      07-27-2012 09:37 AM #2
      I went ot my gun shop last weekend to get my son a new .22 Ruger and they had a nice FNP45, they don't always have them.
      Pretty sharp.

I didn't ask to see it though, but I know they don't have them very often.

3. 07-27-2012 10:11 PM #3
      The only thing I don't like about the FNP45 is the trigger flex. The plastic used is kind of soft so if your finger is low it ends up feeling like an extra "stage" in the last part of the pull, specially in double action. This is really nit-picky, but at a 1000 it deserves it. The high profile sights took some getting used to but overall it is accurate. I have been looking for magazines, but have not found any for sale. I have only shot a P220 once and liked it a lot, have shot a USP45 but never shot an HK45.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      07-28-2012 05:31 PM #4
      Trigger flex? That doesn't sound too good... Looks like I'll have to track one of these down to actually handle the next time I'm in CONUS.

5. 07-29-2012 03:53 AM #5

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      07-29-2012 06:48 PM #6
      I like the FNP-9 and I think if the 45 is anything like the 9, it will be my first handgun when I'm out of CA. Think it'd stack up well against the M&P45, though I'm not sure of aftermarket for the FNP45 or parts availability.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.
      My GLI is dead, waiting for new headwork. AEM intake, APR R1, APR TIP, ST Coilovers, Eurosport Lower Front Stress Bar, BFI Stg. 1 Motor Mount Kit, .:R32/BFI LCA Bushings, Neuspeed 28mm RSB, Forge SS w/ S2S, 42DD shift linkage bushings, Verdict Motorsports shift bracket bushings.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      07-30-2012 08:40 AM #7
      This is interesting...

The FNX-45 is $583.

The FNX-45 Tactical is $938.

The best I can tell, the Tactical has the threaded barrel, a tweaked trigger, and a different slide (cutout for a red dot and taller sights). That's a HUGE difference in price.

The threaded barrel (factory) is around $150 and a set of taller night sights (Trijicon) would be $99.

That's a just a difference of $250 to add those parts down the road - if I went with the Tactical it's a $100 difference and I get the fancy slide.

Hmmm....

8. 07-30-2012 01:34 PM #8
      Not that this is in anyway worth the extra bones...

It does come with a fancy kit bag, yada yada. It's made by Eagle, so it should last you a lifetime though.

Also higher capacity magazines I believe. Nice little pouch for your suppressor etc. Really though, at nearly $1K - compared to say a comparable sig, it's a pretty damn good deal. Also, there is no cheap way to mount an RDS on most pistols. It's always $2-300 worth of work if not more. So the ability to toss on a Trijicon RMR is huge. If you're not going to use the RDS, then no - it may not be worth it to you.

PS: Could be wrong, also thought it comes with three magazines to boot?

EDIT: Apparently all FNX's come with three magazines, the Tactical models do hold 15 instead of the 10 or 14 of normal magazines. So not a huge change.
      Last edited by Elbows; 07-30-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      07-30-2012 01:36 PM #9
      I forgot about the tactipurse! I didn't think about the work on the slide either.

Looks like it's a better deal just to go with the Tactical version.

10. 07-30-2012 01:41 PM #10
      For a package, yeah I'd definitely say so. Particularly if you want a FDE model...and then remember it comes with a thread protector (which many threaded guns don't). Also the cost and time of getting new sights in the mail and installed. I'd say the overall package is quite fantastic.

I'll be honest, I love my PPQ - but I really really liked the FNP-9 (not the FNX, I prefer the FNP's ergos)...and I was hoping they'd release the FNP/FNX Tactical in 9mm. I doubt they will, but if they did I'd definitely consider getting one, and tossing on an RMR.

Besides, the Tactical will likely have better resale value, and be a semi-collectors item some day.

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      07-30-2012 02:20 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Not that this is in anyway worth the extra bones...

It does come with a fancy kit bag, yada yada. It's made by Eagle, so it should last you a lifetime though.

Also higher capacity magazines I believe. Nice little pouch for your suppressor etc. Really though, at nearly $1K - compared to say a comparable sig, it's a pretty damn good deal. Also, there is no cheap way to mount an RDS on most pistols. It's always $2-300 worth of work if not more. So the ability to toss on a Trijicon RMR is huge. If you're not going to use the RDS, then no - it may not be worth it to you.

PS: Could be wrong, also thought it comes with three magazines to boot?

EDIT: Apparently all FNX's come with three magazines, the Tactical models do hold 15 instead of the 10 or 14 of normal magazines. So not a huge change.
      3 mags, 2 10rd and 1 14rd I believe, Good looking kit bag though.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.
      My GLI is dead, waiting for new headwork. AEM intake, APR R1, APR TIP, ST Coilovers, Eurosport Lower Front Stress Bar, BFI Stg. 1 Motor Mount Kit, .:R32/BFI LCA Bushings, Neuspeed 28mm RSB, Forge SS w/ S2S, 42DD shift linkage bushings, Verdict Motorsports shift bracket bushings.

12. 07-30-2012 03:11 PM #12
      Well harumph. That's a bit disappointing. Their page says "15 round capacity"...but I guess they short change you on a couple of them.

13. 07-30-2012 10:00 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      This is interesting...

The FNX-45 is $583.

The FNX-45 Tactical is $938.

The best I can tell, the Tactical has the threaded barrel, a tweaked trigger, and a different slide (cutout for a red dot and taller sights). That's a HUGE difference in price.

The threaded barrel (factory) is around $150 and a set of taller night sights (Trijicon) would be $99.

That's a just a difference of $250 to add those parts down the road - if I went with the Tactical it's a $100 difference and I get the fancy slide.

Hmmm....
      Same thing happens when you ask yourself the question, Beretta PX4 or Beretta PX4 special duty? The sad part in that question is that the barrel is ready-to-be-threaded and not threaded from factory

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      07-30-2012 10:41 PM #14
      Well harumph. That's a bit disappointing. Their page says "15 round capacity"...but I guess they short change you on a couple of them.
      14+1I guess? Maybe it's a true 15+1. S&W makes a '15-er' and it's 14rd mag + the 1 in the chamber.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.

15. 07-30-2012 11:55 PM #15
      Not sure about the FNX tactical or regular FNX but the FNP I got came with 15 round mags, all 3 of them. It really is 15 by the way for a total of 15+1.

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      07-31-2012 12:22 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by gtguard View Post
      Not sure about the FNX tactical or regular FNX but the FNP I got came with 15 round mags, all 3 of them. It really is 15 by the way for a total of 15+1.
      Nice!! I stand corrected and am happy with that. These have 10 and 15 rd mags right? Any other sizes?
      VW CEL Breakdown here.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      07-31-2012 03:49 AM #17
      This sounds like the gun for me... Now I have to wait until I'm back in the US.

18. 07-31-2012 01:20 PM #18
      Just wander over to Belgium and get you one.

The only thing that would give this icing on the cake would be if it was an FNS-45 Tactical. Their new striker gun (FNS) is supposed to be quite good. Heck if it were an FNS-9 Tactical I'd buy one. Buddy has been putting his FNS-9 through the paces and has really taken a shine to it.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      07-31-2012 02:36 PM #19
      Sounds like a fun weekend trip! I can pick up some chocolate and Trappist beers too!

I need to find their German distributor to check this thing out.

20. 07-31-2012 04:48 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Sounds like a fun weekend trip! I can pick up some chocolate and Trappist beers too!

I need to find their German distributor to check this thing out.
      Their US factory is just down the road from me in Columbia. How I'd love to get a job there...

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      08-01-2012 04:02 PM #21
      one of those with a can would be the most hilarious squirrel gun ever.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

22. 08-01-2012 06:27 PM #22
      Something tells me a 230 grain .45 weighs about 50% of a squirrel's body mass...

That'd be akin to a person being struck with an 8-inch naval gun...albeit slowly.

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      08-02-2012 02:05 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      one of those with a can would be the most hilarious squirrel gun ever.
      Hilarious as in you'd be scattering the squirrel into neighboring counties?? Jesus, it would just pop...

Something tells me a 230 grain .45 weighs about 50% of a squirrel's body mass...

That'd be akin to a person being struck with an 8-inch naval gun...albeit slowly.
      Trying to imagine that seriously is very difficult.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      08-03-2012 11:54 AM #24
      ^^ and with a can your neighbors wouldn't even know why chunks are raining down onto their property.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.