Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Looks like TELLURIDE, CO for next year's trip!!

1. Member
      07-27-2012 12:12 PM #1
      I realize it's only July... but what better time to plan next year's ski/snowboard vacation then now??

After some discussions with my crew, it looks like we're settiled on Telluride for a week in February.

Likely, February 10-16, 2013

http://tellurideskiresort.com/tellsk...?season=winter

I know a few of you guys are either from CO, or have been to Telluride. Any tips on places to stay??

We'll likely be ~12 guys. Would prefer renting a house, but if there's a better hotel option, we're open to whatever.

I see there's a bunch of "Hike To" Terrain.... Seems interesting. (but, staircases? ) Any feedback on the fun stuff on the hill would be GREAT!

Any feedback or advice is MUCH appreciated!!

THANKS!!
      - Matty
      Last edited by MattV-Dub; 02-15-2013 at 02:29 PM.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 A4 2013 Q5
      07-30-2012 11:28 AM #2

3. Member
      08-02-2012 10:24 AM #3
      Quick update... Looks like we're gonna book for Feb. 16-23.

I found a condo.. sleeps 11.. on the west end of town in 'Bachman Village'. Site says that it's a "two block walk to Chair 7, near the Galloping Goose bus loop, grocery store, etc.".

Is anyone familiar with this part of town? On the Trail Map, it seems Chair 7 is way on the west side of the mountain. Might be a schlep to get to Revelation, Gold Hill, etc..

ANY feedback is very much appreciated!!

THANKS!

Vehicles
      Subaru OB XT, Previa LE S/C Alltrac
      08-08-2012 03:47 PM #4
      Telluride is cool. The new Palmyra Peak terrain is sick. Yes, metal staircases over cliffs.

Stay in the town of Telluride and not Mountain Village. If you can't no big deal the gondola is free and gets you from the town to the village and back.

The Gold Hill Express is my favorite lift. Lots of steep lines accessed from that one.

It is a pretty small mountain so you'll be able to try just about anything.

DON'T FOLLOW TRACKS OUT OF BOUNDS EVER. Private property and some seriously sketchy avy terrain is what you'll find.

I might be out there at the same time doing Silverton and Red Mtn.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

5. Member
      08-13-2012 10:25 AM #5
      Thanks for the 411 simple!

I think (*hope*) we found a place to stay. Looks like we can snag a condo in "Bachman Village"... sleeps 12 (we'll actually wind up getting a second place for some extra folks coming next year )... 2 block walk to Chair 7... in the town of Telluride... works out to ~$74/night per person.

Not too bad

We'll be there February 16-23, 2013.

Totally psyched!!

simple - if you're in Telluride that week, let's definitely try and hit a few runs together!

THANKS!!

Vehicles
      '08 335i | '87 Porsche 944 [race car] |'01 Excursion [tow rig + hotel room]
      08-31-2012 11:13 AM #6
      we are looking at a similar trip about the same time (probably 1st week of feb).

Going to do Purgatory/Durango, Silverton and Telluride!
      .garage
      .tow rig '01 Excursion | My track hotel Room - Addt'l custom tranny cooler - Upgraded torque converter
      .bmw '08 335i | 60k miles + bone stock!
      .porsche '87 944 | SCCA ITS :: ICSCC 944 Cup Race Car - Fordahl Motorsports built!

7. Member
      09-04-2012 10:48 AM #7
      Hey VW4life...

We're talking about doing a day trip to Silverton as well. Have you guys been here before? Know much about the place? Any tips / suggestions?

http://www.silvertonmountain.com/page/home

Preliminary research shows that:
      - We need to reserve spots at the mountain (they only take 80 people a day)??
      - Expert-Only terrain with a single chairlift and a ton of hikes from ~5-60 minutes out.
      - Avy gear required (of course).
      - Looks like it's ~$140 / day with a guide (maybe that 80 person limit is for guided stuff?)

From their site:
      - Silverton Mountain skiing is similar to a cross of heli-skiing experience, snow cat skiing, and resort skiing but really unlike anything else in the country. You will be accessing up to 1,819 acres of backcountry type terrain via one chairlift that takes you into a high alpine environment surrounded by amazing ski lines in every direction. The terrain is entirely for the advanced and expert skier and those who enjoy adventure.. There are no groomed runs, no cut trails, just loads of nature’s finest black diamond skiing in the U.S.A. Each guided group of eight skiers or less can expect to hike 5-10 minutes to ski runs although some drop straight from the lift. Hiking 15 minutes to an hour allows access to large open bowls and steep, tight chutes.

There are loads of bowls, chutes, cliffs and wonderful natural terrain features to be discovered during a visit to Silverton Mountain. It is the highest Ski Area in North America with a peak of 13,487’ and it is also the steepest with no easy way down. The mountain is left in it’s natural state with the exception of the avalanche reduction work which occurs. The chairlift unloads at the top of a beautiful cirque which provides easy hiking along a ridge to access up to 1,819 acres of snow fields. Silverton Mountain is almost always venturing into new terrain on a daily basis providing new skiing and usually new powder opportunities for weeks after the most recent snowfall.

- Chairs: 1
      - Peak of elevation: 13,487’
      - Peak of Chair: 12,300’
      - Base elevation: 10,400’
      - Annual snowfall: 400”+
      - Skiable acres: 1,819. Plus 22,000+acres heli & hike to
      - Lift Serviced Vertical Drop: 1,900’
      - Hike-To & Helicopter Accessible Vertical Drop: 3,087’
      - Trail Classifications: Beginner & Intermediate: 0% Advanced & Expert 100%
      - Easiest Run: 35 degrees; (30 degrees is a steep run at your average ski area)

- Matty

Vehicles
      09-04-2012 12:37 PM #8
      Yep, been to Silverton. The guides are great. Save some $$ for the heli drop, it is badass even if the terrain they drop you into isn't super extreme.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

Vehicles
      2006 V50 T5 AWD
      10-05-2012 04:12 PM #9
      did a telluride trip last season. flew to denver and drove to enjoy the scenery. we got a great deal on livingsocial for the ice house lodge, which was right next to one of the smaller lifts and ~2 blocks to a bigger lift.

love that place. definitely stay in historic telluride, that's where all the restaurants and culture are. can't wait to go back, and for a longer trip.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      10-13-2012 12:11 PM #10
      I was in telluride last year after their first real snowfall. Snow sucked overall last year but it was a great trip.

Myself and a couple others hiked up to palmyra peak and skied down. Totally worth the 2.5ish hour hike and crazy drops, out of all the places i've skied, probably one of the most beautiful i've seen. The first 1/4 of the slope is pretty hard, if you stay to the left (if i remember right) its not totally insane, but once you get down a little ways, it opens up nicely and its just perfect, kinda like what you see in the pictures.

My other favorite trail is "millions" right under the gold hill express lift. Just love that run, and not too difficult either and great variety.

Big Sky Montana is one of my personal favorites though overall. I love the mountain, love the people and atmosphere and location. Some of the hardest terrain around that you'll find too. We didn't ski any of the couloir's (looked a little too insane at the time) but we did some of the pinnacle chutes which were nice. I love big sky and will probably go back this year or next.

I personally can't decide if i'm going to Jackson Hole this year. Next winter i'm saving up for Revelstoke BC for a 14 day trip. I can't wait

11. Member
      02-15-2013 02:28 PM #11
      The trip is finally here!!

We started organizing this trip back in July.. and we leave for Telluride TOMORROW!!!

Side trip to Silverton is booked for Monday!!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

Last edited by MattV-Dub; 02-27-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Vehicles
      02-25-2013 04:03 PM #12
      You scored some good pow i presume? Was the whole mountain open? How was silverton?

13. Member
      02-27-2013 03:46 PM #13
      Telluride & Silverton were ridiculously AWESOME!!!!!!!

I'll have more to share soon, but as a quick recap:

- Week started off slow. Arrived on Sat, rode on Sun. Nice weather but no fresh snow. We just bombed runs all day. (actually, this was a blast!!)
      - Went to Silverton on Sunday night to ride on Monday. Not too much fresh, but the heli-drop was INSANE!! The hike to the top wasn't too shabby either. Stayed at a place called the Bent Elbow - that was an experience!!
      - Took Tuesday off because we were BEAT from Silverton.. and still.. not too much snow.
      - Wednesday... it finally started snowing. Like.. REALLY snowing!!
      - Woke up to ~20 inches on Thursday. Yes. It was sick!!... and still snowing.
      - Friday brought even more snow! At some points we were at least waist-deep.. if not deeper.

Bombs were going off all day on Thursday and Friday so, unfortunately, the peak never opened. But we hiked a bunch of bowls and found way more than our fair share of sweet spots.

I'll post pics and such as soon as I can.

Simple - did you make it to Silverton last week?

- Matty

Vehicles
      02-27-2013 07:22 PM #14
      Nope i was repairing my broken snowmobile

Maybe get down there in april.

Looking forward to your trip report

15. Member
      03-04-2013 02:58 PM #15
      Ouch!! So sorry to hear Simple! I hope you have it up and running now!

We're finally starting to get some photos posted from the trip.. I figured I'd share some:

Me at Silverton. The purple duct tape = heli-drop

Just dropped off from the heli. A relatively sketchy walk to the drop-in point (right side of the photo)

This is us on a ~15 min hike at Silverton...

After that hike.. we dropped in. Steep!!

A different perspective on that drop-in. This is me (mint green pants)... getting ready:

SUCH an AWESOME day!!!!!

Back at Telluride... some snowy goodness....

My pal Geoff. This was a typical turn on Wednesday afternoon - Friday!!

Another typical turn at Telluride. My pal Cheung.. after a short hike off the Prospect Lift:

I hope you guys enjoy these shots!!

- Matty
      Last edited by MattV-Dub; 03-04-2013 at 03:13 PM.