Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 43

    Thread: Has anyone installed S3 Intercooler yet?

    1. 07-27-2012 01:12 PM #1
      Has anyone done the S3 Intercooler install yet? I asked on ECS they said I had to lengthen hoses, and that they don't list CC as a correct fitment because of this.

    2. 07-27-2012 06:00 PM #2
      Someone out there has to have installed this on a CC.

      With the intercooler being thicker, I have a hard time understanding why the hoses would be too short. I know you can cut part of the stock hose, but I also saw somewhere in the forums where the guy cuts off the metal part of the hose instead of just hacking the hose itself. Anyone know if not cutting the hose and just yanking off that metal piece would make the hose the correct length?

    3. Member Bthasht's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2011
      Location
      757 VA
      Posts
      944
      Vehicles
      2009 VW CC
      07-27-2012 07:42 PM #3
      There are a few on here who has that intercooler. Give them awhile to answer your questions, but in a nutshell Yes it will work.

    4. Member dcbc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 14th, 2011
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      696
      Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      07-27-2012 09:00 PM #4
      Subscribed. It is hot in Texas this summer and I am seriously considering this upgrade.

      What would you think the time for a pro mechanic to install would be? 2--3 hours?
      2010 CC Sport 6MT, Clear turns, Modshack Intake, Unitronic Stage 1+, RNS 510 Upgrade, 9W7(L) upgrade, 10 spkr Audio Upgrade with Amp and 10" sub.

    5. Member Bthasht's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2011
      Location
      757 VA
      Posts
      944
      Vehicles
      2009 VW CC
      07-28-2012 12:43 PM #5
      Hit up snobrdrdn he can answer these questions.

      Sent from the tip of my fingers using tapatalk

    6. Member ptfern's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 15th, 2004
      Location
      Orlando FL
      Posts
      422
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Reflex Silver
      07-29-2012 01:33 PM #6
      I have it in my 2012 R-Line w/KO4 & meth. Perfect fit. We just used to stock hoses. I believe we might have trimmed the hoses a bit. Nothing drastic.

    7. Member ptfern's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 15th, 2004
      Location
      Orlando FL
      Posts
      422
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Reflex Silver
      07-29-2012 01:35 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
      Subscribed. It is hot in Texas this summer and I am seriously considering this upgrade.

      What would you think the time for a pro mechanic to install would be? 2--3 hours?

      We did it in about an hour, hour in a half.

    8. Member R0bL0gic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      698
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn - APR K04
      07-29-2012 02:07 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ptfern View Post
      We did it in about an hour, hour in a half.
      So did you do the OEM S3 FMIC for $290 ish?
      Ich habe nur hochwertige Teile für mein Auto!

    9. Member
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      San Tan Valley, AZ
      Posts
      3,208
      Vehicles
      CC
      07-29-2012 02:34 PM #9
      If its $290 that's a dam good price

    10. Member ptfern's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 15th, 2004
      Location
      Orlando FL
      Posts
      422
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Reflex Silver
      07-30-2012 01:06 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by R0bL0gic View Post
      So did you do the OEM S3 FMIC for $290 ish?

      Yeah, it cost about that for just the intercooler.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      San Tan Valley, AZ
      Posts
      3,208
      Vehicles
      CC
      07-30-2012 01:50 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ptfern View Post
      Yeah, it cost about that for just the intercooler.
      So what else is needed, and how much is it for everything needed for the swap?? TIA

    12. Member ptfern's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 15th, 2004
      Location
      Orlando FL
      Posts
      422
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Reflex Silver
      07-30-2012 09:21 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by AZ_CC View Post
      So what else is needed, and how much is it for everything needed for the swap?? TIA

      $290 for the S3 intercooler. Used stock hoses. Labor depends on the shop you bring it to. I did also install the AWE "pancake pipe" and BSH throttle body pipe since we were already in the area so to speak, and going to instal the dual nozzle meth kit. But these are extras that you don't technically need.


      Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

    13. Member das lowe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2012
      Location
      Omaha, NE
      Posts
      218
      Vehicles
      2014 passat S with apperance black
      07-30-2012 01:41 PM #13
      Would this ic do any good with just a apr stage 1 and 2 intake and a cat back exhaust?
      I will be doing a chip in the future just not sure which one to go with.
      2009 CC sport auto , black on black, %20 tint all around, euro switch, rear fog, DRL delete, Hoën fogs, Clear turn signals, LED plate lights, RCD-510 AE, 9W7 Bluetooth, LED strip lights in the trunk, lots of VAGCOM fiddling, APR Carbonio stage 1(for sale) , Magnaflow 3" cat back exhuast, 3 watt Cree LED interior lighting (from DDM Tunning)

    14. 07-30-2012 02:39 PM #14
      I have heard two common comments. Both contradicting, surrounding the hose length.

      Do I need the AWE TOP to install the S3 intercooler?
      Can I just use stock hoses with no TOP to install the S3 intercooler?

      Anyone know why everyone keeps saying that you need to extend the hose on the TOP side?

    15. Member snobrdrdan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 9th, 2008
      Location
      Southeast Michigan
      Posts
      7,395
      Vehicles
      2014 VW
      07-31-2012 06:43 AM #15
      I emailed Chris this info, but I'll share it with everyone...

      Parts you need: (if not buying a kit)
      The intercooler
      (9) M6 x 1.0 x 16mm bolts.
      A couple 2.5" hose clamps (if you plan to cut your stock hoses)

      OPTIONS:
      1. If you're just buying ONLY the intercooler for ~$300 (whatever it costs)....

      On the S3 intercooler, it has metal inlets and doesn't use the factory (clip in) hose connections. Soooo....you have to cut the factory connection off the stock hoses and then slide it onto the S3 intercooler and clamp it down.
      That's the cheapest solution.

      Read here on how to cut the hoses:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...956&viewfull=1

      How it will look:




      2. Buy the AWE Tuning kit with the S3 intercooler and the OEM hoses for $520:
      http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/v...t/s3-fmic.html

      3. Buy the intercooler for ~$300 & then the AWE tuning S3 hoses for $240:
      http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/v...c-hosekit.html

      4. Buy the intercooler for ~$300 with the Turbo Outlet Pipe & the hoses for $410:
      http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/v...c-hosekit.html

    16. 07-31-2012 03:49 PM #16
      Thanks as always Dan.

      I will be ordering this ASAP. Since I don;t see much in terms of CC install I can post a DIY if anybody is interested. Probably won;t be doing this until at least next weekend though.

      Also I asked Dan, but is anyone aware of a guide on how to remove CC front bumper and other items required for the intercooler install.

      I found a few write ups about the hose and bolt on procedure, but not how to get the bumper and everything off to do that work.

    17. Member VdubXXIV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2008
      Posts
      1,986
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta, 2012 CC R-line
      07-31-2012 04:02 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by S WORD View Post
      Thanks as always Dan.

      I will be ordering this ASAP. Since I don;t see much in terms of CC install I can post a DIY if anybody is interested. Probably won;t be doing this until at least next weekend though.

      Also I asked Dan, but is anyone aware of a guide on how to remove CC front bumper and other items required for the intercooler install.

      I found a few write ups about the hose and bolt on procedure, but not how to get the bumper and everything off to do that work.
      I would be greatly interested in a write up including the removal of the front bumper. Then hopefully it could be adding to the DIY section of this forum

    18. 07-31-2012 04:04 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by VdubXXIV View Post
      I would be greatly interested in a write up including the removal of the front bumper. Then hopefully it could be adding to the DIY section of this forum
      I would be happy to do so. Plus I am sure I will have Dan helping me from 1,500 miles away as usual so things will go flawlessly as before.

    19. Member snobrdrdan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 9th, 2008
      Location
      Southeast Michigan
      Posts
      7,395
      Vehicles
      2014 VW
      08-04-2012 06:23 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by S WORD View Post
      I would be happy to do so. Plus I am sure I will have Dan helping me from 1,500 miles away as usual so things will go flawlessly as before.
      LOL

      Well I wish I knew how to take the bumper off, but I don't.

      I'm sure someone on here has to have done it though. And I'm 99% sure it's just clipped on anyways.
      Start by removing the grille (torx screws and pull off).
      Then remove the belly pan (torx screws)
      Undo the fender liner screws (torx screws)

      And then start pulling on the fender edge, I guess.....

    20. Member jspirate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 15th, 2011
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      2,166
      Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      08-04-2012 10:56 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by VdubXXIV View Post
      I would be greatly interested in a write up including the removal of the front bumper. Then hopefully it could be adding to the DIY section of this forum
      Pics!




      Clips for the painted piece (don't forget underpan that is held in place with torx):








      Remove the 4 silver bolts under the headlight to release the bumper, but make sure you have it all supported as illustrated in the last two pics:








      When the bumper comes off, so does the support for the radiator, IC and AC radiator.

      Sorry, I was going to do a full write-up, but I never did.
      Daily | Weekend | Project

    21. Member R0bL0gic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      698
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn - APR K04
      08-04-2012 01:51 PM #21
      Nice, mine will be here on Monday!
      Ich habe nur hochwertige Teile für mein Auto!

    22. 08-06-2012 12:10 PM #22
      Thanks for the pictures. I am getting mine delivered this week. Can't wait to get it in. Also adding AWE TOP at same time. I can try to make a step by step if anyone is still interested, but it looks like based on this thread majority of the process is covered.

    23. Member jspirate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 15th, 2011
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      2,166
      Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      08-06-2012 03:01 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by S WORD View Post
      Thanks for the pictures. I am getting mine delivered this week. Can't wait to get it in. Also adding AWE TOP at same time. I can try to make a step by step if anyone is still interested, but it looks like based on this thread majority of the process is covered.
      No problem! Its a fun install
      Daily | Weekend | Project

    24. Member snobrdrdan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 9th, 2008
      Location
      Southeast Michigan
      Posts
      7,395
      Vehicles
      2014 VW
      08-07-2012 05:19 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by jspirate View Post
      Remove the 4 silver bolts under the headlight to release the bumper
      &
      When the bumper comes off, so does the support for the radiator, IC and AC radiator.
      When you say bumper....I think you mean "core support"

      So no one gets confused.

      The bumper cover has to come off first, and then the core support, to get to the intercooler

    25. Member jspirate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 15th, 2011
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      2,166
      Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      08-07-2012 09:07 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post

      The bumper cover has to come off first, and then the core support, to get to the intercooler
      ^This.

      First you have to remove the painted plastic bumper cover, then you remove what I consider to be the bumper. Its one piece that protects and supports and it has a foam covering over metal (which does not get removed).

      Daily | Weekend | Project

    26. 08-07-2012 01:36 PM #26
      Thanks guys. I am pretty sure I will better understand once I get in there. I know there is a core support that needs to be removed. Maybe I will make a guide for anyone else outlining the items removed from where in what order. I am sure other than bumper it is similar to GTI and so maybe this won;t be required. Hopefully I get time on sat or sun to do this. Any other strange things once you get in there?

      jspirate did you need to do anything with the hoses other than cut the metal piece off, I keep hearing and reading that you need to extend the hose, but I think that is crap or because instead of cutting the metal end off someone probably cut the actual hose making it too short and then the legend of the issue live on in vortex.

    27. Member jspirate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 15th, 2011
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      2,166
      Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      08-07-2012 04:58 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by S WORD View Post
      jspirate did you need to do anything with the hoses other than cut the metal piece off, I keep hearing and reading that you need to extend the hose, but I think that is crap or because instead of cutting the metal end off someone probably cut the actual hose making it too short and then the legend of the issue live on in vortex.
      I have the APR IC and APR states that one of the hoses is not long enough, but I did not have any problems making it work without cutting. The APR hoses were pretty much plug-n-play. So, I can not comment on the S3.

      Daily | Weekend | Project

    28. Member R0bL0gic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      698
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn - APR K04
      08-07-2012 05:13 PM #28
      Ugh mine is somewhere but at my house!

      Delivery exception PHOENIX, AZ Delivery delayed, scheduled for next business day
      Ich habe nur hochwertige Teile für mein Auto!

    29. 08-07-2012 05:28 PM #29
      As a former phoenix resident, what the hell in phoenix could cause a delay like that? Sorry to hear. Mine should be in tomorrow. I try not to watch the deliveries because what happened to you always happens to me when i watch them. I had a timely package needed that was a a derailed train once. I guess ish happens, good luck. Who is doing your install? I am not sure goodspeed was around when i was there. Or maybe it had another name. I lived near Dynocomp so they worked on my mazda and I had friends with their own little shops and a few worked for EVOMS. I don't hear much from EVOMS anymore.

      I ordered the TOP a little later so that won;t be in until like Thursday. Will be doing the install either Sat or Sun morning.

    30. 08-07-2012 05:33 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by jspirate View Post
      I have the APR IC and APR states that one of the hoses is not long enough, but I did not have any problems making it work without cutting. The APR hoses were pretty much plug-n-play. So, I can not comment on the S3.

      Sorry to post again. it looks like the dimension of the hose in length are not much different. APR just looks to have a larger diameter. I did not opt for the hose kit with the S3 intercooler from AWE because the price is equal to two intercoolers. It boggles my mind to think that the hoses are $300. I'd buy them at a lower price.

    31. 08-09-2012 03:16 PM #31
      Intercooler arrived in a very large box yesterday, good thing I have a Honda Pilot too because that box would not fit in the CC with the baby seat in.

      TOP is being delivered as we speak. Need to go get the required hardware from Home Depot later today. Install should be on Saturday.

    32. Member R0bL0gic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      698
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn - APR K04
      08-09-2012 04:46 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by S WORD View Post
      As a former phoenix resident, what the hell in phoenix could cause a delay like that? Sorry to hear. Mine should be in tomorrow. I try not to watch the deliveries because what happened to you always happens to me when i watch them. I had a timely package needed that was a a derailed train once. I guess ish happens, good luck. Who is doing your install? I am not sure goodspeed was around when i was there. Or maybe it had another name. I lived near Dynocomp so they worked on my mazda and I had friends with their own little shops and a few worked for EVOMS. I don't hear much from EVOMS anymore.

      I ordered the TOP a little later so that won;t be in until like Thursday. Will be doing the install either Sat or Sun morning.
      I ended up getting it on Tuesday, was packaged like you mentioned. I have a guy from exklusiv that will do the install for me. Evoms is still around and have spent a lot of time with their evt packages for Porsche but are working to get back into the VW scene.

      Goodspeed is just around the corner from Dynocomp
      Ich habe nur hochwertige Teile für mein Auto!

    33. 08-09-2012 08:01 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by R0bL0gic View Post
      I ended up getting it on Tuesday, was packaged like you mentioned. I have a guy from exklusiv that will do the install for me. Evoms is still around and have spent a lot of time with their evt packages for Porsche but are working to get back into the VW scene.

      Goodspeed is just around the corner from Dynocomp
      Exklusiv is Derek right. If I am thinking of the same person I think he started his shop right when i was leaving AZ. If it is the same person he did help me reinstall my stock suspension after some issues i had with a citrus fruit law and V W. But at that time we did the work in his drive way. I think he was also dating a girl that I went to school with. Small world. He always had good prices on labor and i never had an issue.

    34. Member R0bL0gic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      698
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn - APR K04
      08-09-2012 09:09 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by S WORD View Post
      Exklusiv is Derek right. If I am thinking of the same person I think he started his shop right when i was leaving AZ. If it is the same person he did help me reinstall my stock suspension after some issues i had with a citrus fruit law and V W. But at that time we did the work in his drive way. I think he was also dating a girl that I went to school with. Small world. He always had good prices on labor and i never had an issue.
      Yep, that's Derek. That is a small world, I haven't worked with him yet but I heard he is a standup guy.
      Ich habe nur hochwertige Teile für mein Auto!

    35. 08-10-2012 12:22 PM #35
      It just got hot here in LA. Its been over 100 recently where i live. I am starting to feel the car lag more. I got on freeway and car had no balls this morning. I am glad I got this to install this weekend. Can't wait to see the difference.

      Good luck with everything let me know how you perform out in the 110 degree heat.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •