Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Hale Koa, Hawaii in December?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk4, B5.5
      07-27-2012 02:22 PM #1
      Me and the wife are planning on going to Hale Koa this December. I've had a few friends live there years ago, and they said the only downside of going in winter is the weather (tsunami weather, I guess?). I was wondering if anyone had stayed their recently and could give me some ideas of what to do/where to go around the area. The guys I know that have been there, well, it's been a few years to say the least Thanks!

2. 08-06-2012 10:05 PM #2
      December isn't too bad but that's the beginning of the rainy season out there. Hale Koa is is right in Waikiki. Waikiki is pretty touristy and I avoided it at all costs while I lived out there. What do you guys like to do? Tons of great hiking, beaches, food, sigh seeing, etc...give me an idea on what you guys enjoy and maybe I can make some suggestions...

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk4, B5.5
      08-07-2012 03:21 AM #3
      Just found out when leave is going to be, and it'll be the first week of Jan that we'll be there. We are huge food and micro-brew fans (don't worry... she's a personal trainer, we like it in moderation ). We're looking for more 'hole in the wall' type places. I don't like crowds. At all. We want a 'low-key' type beach, and somewhere to hike that has a great view (but not going to be a 'guide-tour' with a million tourists). And then, of course, anything that's a 'must do' while we're there.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      08-10-2012 11:50 AM #4
      The Hale Koa is a great deal and in a great (albeit touristy) spot. You can't beat the price!

I think for your first time to Hawaii, Waikiki isn't a bad area to be. You can always rent a car and go up to the North Shore to hang out.

08-13-2012 01:00 PM #5
      Tsunami weather?
      It's all about squats and deads.

6. 08-26-2012 10:58 PM #6
      Well there's no real breweries out there, you can eat at the Kona Brewery restaurant, it's pretty good! If you're looking for "hole in the wall" type places I can help you with that...

Do you guys like sushi? Before I left the island I went to dinner at Sasabune - expensive and you will need reservations but probably the most amazing sushi I've ever had. You don't even order off the menu, the chef just prepares everything and they bring it to you and tell you what it is, where it came from, whether or not you should use soy sauce, wasabi, or nothing. Seriously an amazing food experience.

Serge's Mexican Restaurant (Manoa, and Waimanalo) GREAT mexican food and its bring your own beer

Kalapawai Cafe and Deli (Kailua), I used to live down the road from this place and its great!

Chadlou's Cafe (Kailua)

Honolulu Burger Company (Honolulu)

Cuba de Sol (Honolulu) great Cuban food, might want to make reservations

JJ Dolan's (Honolulu) GREAT Pizza (coming from a North East guy), fun bar, it gets CROWDED here on Fridays. Right across the street is Bambootwo a cool little martini bar.

China Town is a lot of fun for cool little bars with more local flavor and great restaurants.

Hikes - Olomana is pretty cool with nice views of the windward side, not sure what your experience level is but a lot of people think its pretty hairy. Haiku Stairs (aka Stairway to Heaven) is a fun hike but you'll have to leave early or start late, technically its off limits so there's a guard there. As long as you don't see him there its cool to go up, and if he's there when you're coming down he won't bother you. He'll probably ask you "how was it? how long did it take?".

Hit me up with more questions, etc. I'm more than happy to help! I lived there for almost 4 years and miss it a ton!!!