Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help a vinyl noob!

1. 07-27-2012 03:56 PM #1
      Hey guys,

So I've always been interested in vinyl after I played around with my friend's technics DJ-ing turnable. Absolutely loved the quality of the sound. Recently I picked up an AT-LP60 for 50 bucks and a Dire Straits LP. As of right now I'm not too sure what other equipment I'll need to purchase. I'll most likely be listening to the vinyl through my M50s until I decide to invest in some quality bookshelf monitors. I presume I'll need an amp of some sorts? I've read that some people talk about upgrading cartridges and whatnot.

Thanks in advance guys,

Jason.

Vehicles
      2007 Ford Fusion SUX, school bus turning radius edition
      07-28-2012 06:57 PM #2
      I've been getting back into vinyl and vintage equipment lately. I've been at audiokarma.org quite a bit. A wealth of information over there.

3. 07-28-2012 08:32 PM #3
      A good source of equipment, and "new" vinyl, is www.musicdirect.com

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      07-31-2012 01:36 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
      Hey guys,

So I've always been interested in vinyl after I played around with my friend's technics DJ-ing turnable. Absolutely loved the quality of the sound. Recently I picked up an AT-LP60 for 50 bucks and a Dire Straits LP. As of right now I'm not too sure what other equipment I'll need to purchase. I'll most likely be listening to the vinyl through my M50s until I decide to invest in some quality bookshelf monitors. I presume I'll need an amp of some sorts? I've read that some people talk about upgrading cartridges and whatnot.

Thanks in advance guys,

Jason.
      That's a pretty basic but reliable turntable. Radioshack as OE quality AT needles for cheap and will ship to you free usually.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

5. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      08-09-2012 10:05 PM #5
      Congrats on the turntable! Tere is so much that can be said about how to gt excellent vinyl playback. First I have to ask some questions:

1) are you planning on buying audiophile records or just whatever you can find on eBay?
      2) what gear do you have now?
      3) what kind of floor do you have? Carpet? Tile? Wood? Concrete slab? Trust me it matters.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa