Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Electrical/Wiring Supplies online?

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      bagged bmp 20th
      07-27-2012 11:20 PM #1
      Well I am redoing my air suspension wiring and such and wanted to clean the back up nicely. I have been trying to find a place that sells plugs/connectors with different amount of pin/wire connections and such, but can't seem to find a place that has what I am looking for.

I am basically looking for some plugs that I can wire to the end of my valves or such and allow me to quickly disconnect them in case I need to remove them or anything. I am looking for several different styles such as a 1 one wire plug, 2 wire plug and also a 4 wire plug. I looked at places that allow me to actual pin my own connectors, but I would prefer to just buy the connectors prewired & pin perhaps.

Also looking to purchase relays, heatshrink, wire, etc from the same place. Not looking to buy in a huge bulk either, but looking to save some money from local places.

I have bags, that makes me cooler .
      Buy ---> Car |

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      07-29-2012 11:27 PM #2
      I buy alot of that type of stuff here.

https://www.mcminone.com/
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Jetta VRT, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      07-29-2012 11:49 PM #3
      Two places I often use:

www.digikey.com
      www.mouser.com

Mouser has better prices and no minimum purchase limit but Digikey has better selections.

Mike
      Chapter 11 Dubs: Member #001
      http://www.chapter11dubs.com
      -----------------------

Vehicles
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI. 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6. 2015 Forester (Wife)
      07-30-2012 07:36 AM #4
      I live on digikey, mouser, and newark.

digikey's search tool is the best. mouser, as said has better prices usually.
      newark is a little skewed towards industrial, although just slightly.

Suggestion: For prewired connectors, I'd look towards the RC market. Batteries, etc.
      For make-yer-own, I like the Val-u-lok series you can get from digikey

Picking a connector is probably one of my least favorite parts of a project. Making sure you get the right pins, backshell, crimp tool, mating parts... bleh.
      Last edited by Surf Green; 07-30-2012 at 07:39 AM.
      Bro, do you even lift? When you only have 90 horsepower, you don't ever lift.
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 1996 GTI VR6 - YouTube Track Videos - flickr

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '94 Jetta, '08 Rabbit, '12 Chevy 2500HD, '62 Ford F100
      07-30-2012 09:32 AM #5
      http://www.waytekwire.com/products/

Check out Weather Pack connectors. Sealing isn't really required for interior wiring, but they're handy to have around and very useful for general automotive stuff. If you're going to invest in the tools and knowledge for a connector system, Weather Pack is the way to go in my opinion. It's not the best, smallest, or lightest connector out there, but it's a good combination of cheap, easy to use, and easy to purchase in small quantities.

Pegasus has some nice instructions and they're a good source for small orders.
      https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...ID=WEATHERPACK

Vehicles
      bagged bmp 20th
      07-30-2012 11:30 AM #6
      Appreciate all the help guys. I actually sourced a few plugs from around the house using old RC plugs and trailer plugs , but these other sites will definitely be useful for the other items, especially when I redo my wire tuck over the winter.

I have bags, that makes me cooler .
      Buy ---> Car |

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      07-30-2012 11:57 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Afazz View Post
      http://www.waytekwire.com/products/

Check out Weather Pack connectors. Sealing isn't really required for interior wiring, but they're handy to have around and very useful for general automotive stuff. If you're going to invest in the tools and knowledge for a connector system, Weather Pack is the way to go in my opinion. It's not the best, smallest, or lightest connector out there, but it's a good combination of cheap, easy to use, and easy to purchase in small quantities.

Pegasus has some nice instructions and they're a good source for small orders.
      https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...ID=WEATHERPACK
      I like Deutsch DT (or their AMP clones) connectors better than weatherpak. You can get a normal f-crimp terminal ending for them, they have an integral seal instead of little mini seals, they're only slightly more expensive (because of the AMP versions), and they're really easy to assemble and disassemble.

Only drawback to them that's an advantage to weatherpak is that a lot of sensors use a weatherpak style plug, even on non-GM vehicles. Cummins, for instance, uses a lot of weatherpak compatible plugs on temperature and pressure sensors.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.