Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Grillmasters and BBQ Lovers...get in here and help me choose marinades/rubs/etc to bring back to the old continent

07-28-2012 11:27 AM #1
      Dear BBQ connoisseurs,

as an avid bbq-er, I strengthened my arsenal last summer with a Weber kettle grill..what a difference

I have been grilling all through the past year, even during winter, and until now have used spices and herbs available to me in the countryside.

I've been drooling over the 'First time smokin' on the bar-bee ' thread, and having eaten some fantastic ribs in the US, and having seen the variety of rubs/marinades/ and so fourth available in the US, I wanted to ask you guys what to bring back to Italy.

I've emailed my girlfriend (who's in the US at the moment) a list of products that Stubb's sells, and she sent me back some pics of the offerings at the supermarket.
      Here's what I sent her...with my preferences in order to not have her hauling a luggage full of stuff for me back to Italy

I'm open to suggestions

ciaoooooooo
      Mamma Mia

"Leased not bought"

Flickr

2. Senior Member
      07-28-2012 03:36 PM #2
      I recommend buying a few barbeque books instead and making your own sauces and rubs.

I bought several books when I bought a smoker. I like Karen Putman's "Championship BBQ Secrets for Real Smoked Food."

I can post a bunch of other titles to consider, if you'd like.

07-28-2012 07:12 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
      I recommend buying a few barbeque books instead and making your own sauces and rubs.

I bought several books when I bought a smoker. I like Karen Putman's "Championship BBQ Secrets for Real Smoked Food."

I recommend having the ladyperson grab some stuff that you/her/both like or want to try. Try it, and if you really enjoy it, then reverse engineer it and make it yourself later.
      2002 Lexus IS300 - Trac off is just Japanese for sideways on

07-28-2012 07:44 PM #4

Listen to the man. He knoweth what he speaketh.
      Cheers, Adrian
      726 bottles of beer on the wall.

07-29-2012 10:46 AM #5

couldn't agree with you more
      but...there are qutie a few ingredients that are hard to come by here...thats why I wanted to get a variety of products to help my abstinence

please do share any titles/links
      Last edited by Deltac; 07-29-2012 at 10:49 AM.
      Mamma Mia

"Leased not bought"

Flickr

6. Senior Member
      07-29-2012 11:05 AM #6
      As I mentioned, I like Karen Putman's book best.

http://www.amazon.com/Championship-S...s=karen+putman

I just find myself making things from her book when I page through the books I bought.

The other ones I bought based on recomendations at thesmokering.com are

Smoke & Spice ... http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Spice-Co...moke+%26+spice

Mastering Barbeque ... http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Barb...ering+barbecue

Barbeque USA ... http://www.amazon.com/BBQ-USA-Recipe...s=barbeque+usa

Peace, Love, and Barbeque ... http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Love-Bar...C+and+barbeque

7. Senior Member
      07-29-2012 11:12 AM #7
      My usual barbeque sauce is a modified Bucket of Red from a recipe in a small booklet from Lodge.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Barbeque-Sauce

As Adrian commented, it is way too hot with the full amount of cayenne and Creole seasoning, and I like hot and spicy food.

I reduce the cayenne and Creole seasoning and add a small jar or orange marmalade.

The booklet also has a vinegar-based recipe called North Carolina Pig Pickin' Dippin' Sauce that is very good. My wife really likes it.

8. Senior Member
      07-29-2012 11:15 AM #8
      Just doing this as separate posts because my home computer died, and I'm on my wife's work computer. I keep hitting the "back" button and losing what I typed because the keyboard is different from the Dell I had.

What Adrian and I are saying is that you can make a lot more barbeque sauces, mops, and rubs if you just bring back a variety of the dry ingredients that you might not be able to get in Italy, rather than just bringing home a few bottles of sauce which weigh a lot.

07-29-2012 01:15 PM #9
      Just doing this as separate posts because my home computer died, and I'm on my wife's work computer. I keep hitting the "back" button and losing what I typed because the keyboard is different from the Dell I had.

What Adrian and I are saying is that you can make a lot more barbeque sauces, mops, and rubs if you just bring back a variety of the dry ingredients that you might not be able to get in Italy, rather than just bringing home a few bottles of sauce which weigh a lot.
      thanks for the posts , I definitely prefer making my own seasoning and so on, but as I stated, I missed certain flavours that I don't have here in Italy. I still think I will get some products and see which I prefer and then try to find a recipe to replicate the flavours.

I am especially intrigued by Bourbon as an ingredient for marinading.

So in this case, am I right in thinking Stubbs is the better of the off the shelf rubs/marinades ?
      Mamma Mia

"Leased not bought"

Flickr

Vehicles
      2014 Wrangler
      07-30-2012 09:55 AM #10
      http://amazingribs.com/

I've gotten a bunch of recipes from this website. They have pork rubs, particularly the memphis rib dust that I love, as well as a handful of BBQ sauces you can make.

07-30-2012 10:48 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
      http://amazingribs.com/

I've gotten a bunch of recipes from this website. They have pork rubs, particularly the memphis rib dust that I love, as well as a handful of BBQ sauces you can make.
      cool, I think I've been on that website before. I'll be looking into what ingredients to bring back
      Mamma Mia

"Leased not bought"

Flickr