Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What vehicle is this injector air shroud from??

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta; 1985 VW Cabriolet; 1993 VW Cabriolet; 1984 VW Gti.; 1988 VW Golf
      07-28-2012 12:37 PM #1
      I seem to get lots of help in the cabby threads, so I Posted this here.

Last week I posted here trying to get some air shrouds for some nice new brass injectors I won on ebay. You may have seen my post in the 8v, cabby parts classifieds and here in the cabby forum.

Well I purchased four shrouds from a vortexer and one is not quite like the others; the groove for the "o" ring is much bigger, obviously for a much bigger injector holder. I'm still waiting on a response from the seller, so here is a couple of blurry pics:

What vehicle is this injector air shroud on the left from??

Sorry for the blurry pics and the crusty carbon on the shrouds.

Vehicles
      07-30-2012 09:39 PM #2
      So today I got to cleaning the air shrouds that had been soaking in B-12 a couple day. Cleaned the carbon off with a rag, damp with B-12 and they wiped amazingly clean.
      Got the opportunity to get a good look at the weird shroud with out the carbon. It is indeed the same air shroud as the other three!

I guess I owe shaggymutt1 at least half an apology...

The air shroud is two pieces, it has a little hoop with a ledge pressed on to hold the o ring in place... and this one must of got buggered up getting pulled off. The thing may even be able to be fixed if someone was skilled with a tiny press.

Not me, I was sent a free one by some anonymous vortexer, I assume.

So, this solves the mystery of the odd ball air shroud.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      83 gti 81 cabby 91 cabby 99 passat 98 beetle
      07-31-2012 06:02 AM #3
      just did my 84 gti injectors and they had those shrouds on them.

4. 07-31-2012 08:43 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by teknikALLEN View Post
      So today I got to cleaning the air shrouds that had been soaking in B-12 a couple day. Cleaned the carbon off with a rag, damp with B-12 and they wiped amazingly clean.
      Got the opportunity to get a good look at the weird shroud with out the carbon. It is indeed the same air shroud as the other three!

I guess I owe shaggymutt1 at least half an apology...

The air shroud is two pieces, it has a little hoop with a ledge pressed on to hold the o ring in place... and this one must of got buggered up getting pulled off. The thing may even be able to be fixed if someone was skilled with a tiny press.

Not me, I was sent a free one by some anonymous vortexer, I assume.

So, this solves the mystery of the odd ball air shroud.
      Dude I just looked it is 2 piece!! The lower is pressed up to form oring area. What if you take socket that fits over and install oring and lightly hammer it back down?

Vehicles
      1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet, 1989 Chevy S10
      07-31-2012 10:23 AM #5
      I told you so, I told you so.

Atleast everything is sorted out now...

I was able to pound mine down by using a box end wrench or whatever they call it. Also setting it in vice grips that are open just enough.

Vehicles
      07-31-2012 06:18 PM #6
      Just caught your post, 87Cabriolet, in the thread posted in the Lounge... 1,489 views.... wow.