Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: any turtle experts? need help keeping tank clean:(

Vehicles
      2007 civic Si coupe
      07-28-2012 01:26 PM #1
      have had my baby res for about 3 months,just recently put him in a large 20 gallon that he loves

hes bin fine in it up until a few days ago when it jsut randomly started to get very murky and dirty

2/3rds filled long 20 gallon,whisper 20-30 gal filter small gravel on the bottom with larger rocks on top,and a use a weekly treatment of amonia and murk clear.

also threw in a cleaner moss ball but nothing seem to work,started up outa no where and now i cant keep it clean...cleaned otu tank,filled it back up,day later its murky again!?!?!?!?

i have a few feeder fish in but i doubt thats the problem as ive had fish in all the tanks

HELP!!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      Sometimes you just have to dim the lights, light a candle, pick out the right clip, and make love to yourself.....
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      I usually stick a ham on either end of my gun and bench press it naked in my window for 10 minutes before I turn in.

Vehicles
      2001 BMW X5 5spd, 2010 jetta 2.5 5spd, 2004 CRF/BBR 108cc
      07-28-2012 02:00 PM #2
      dont touch it for a month let everything do what it needs to do. By cleaning it you started the process all over. it will get murky and such but it will clear up and do not clean your filters as they are beneficial. Let everything go for a month , then do a 20% water change don't change the filter. Only change the filter if it is not running good. Everytime you try you do something to speed up the process you add week to the cycle process good luck
      well this is going to take some getting used too........

3. 07-31-2012 05:05 PM #3
      Do you take them out to feed? Get a bucket or tub and if it's possible feed them outside of tank. Huge difference in take maintenance.

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo V50, 1993 RX-7 R1, 1980 Hatteras 53MY, 2002 Grady White Release 283, 1958 Mohawk 14
      09-19-2012 03:19 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by smi2710 View Post
      Only change or CLEAN the filter if it is not running good.
      This is key. There is beneficial bacteria on it that helps clean the water. Clean the filter and it takes a while to build back up. Also don't foget to use chlorine remover when filling...the chlorine sterilizes the filter.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Turbo Beetle
      09-19-2012 04:35 PM #5
      Been in the aquarium business for about 8 years and doing maintenance for clients for about 5
      In my experience stop using all those chemicals except for a good dechlorinater add more doesn't equate to making it better

Turtles are naturally "messy" animals and whispers are naturally "crappy" filters
      A canister or a marine land power filter would be to your benefit

Only clean parts of the filter that are not a part of the biological process
      Things are floss and carbon should be replaced frequently

If the cloudiness is from an ammonia bloom don't touch the filter and just kept at good water changes