Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: aes vr6 outo transmission problem

1. 07-28-2012 03:02 PM #1
      i have a 1999 eurovan with aes vr6 and a bad trannie. The quote fore repair was 4500 to 5,500. I do not like outo trainees and would rather put money in to converting it to manual. On a previous thread on this sight It was suggested that the 2.5t would bolt right on is it possible that this or the trannie from a different vr6 model would have the slightest possibility of working with the aes vr6

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Eurovan, 2001 Eurovan, 2006 Sprinter, 1961 Thunderbird
      07-28-2012 10:10 PM #2
      I have a manual gearbox for a 2.5TD , tried to fit it to an vr6 and not a chance :-(
      I think maybe only one bolt lined up ( if that) so that's out. Back to the drawing board.
      Let me know if you come up with any ideas. The gearbox you need is a DYA, good luck.
      Z

3. 07-30-2012 11:51 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Zoliaxk View Post
      I have a manual gearbox for a 2.5TD , tried to fit it to an vr6 and not a chance :-(
      I think maybe only one bolt lined up ( if that) so that's out. Back to the drawing board.
      Let me know if you come up with any ideas. The gearbox you need is a DYA, good luck.
      Z
      DYA is a code for the gears, not the entire transmission.

The transission code that should mate up to a VR6 (or a 2.5TDI for that matter) is a 02G.

I am not sure what "2.5TD" is...there was no such motor. TDI, yes, but not TD (there were only 1.9 TD motors in the T4), and the TDI 2.5 and VR6 gas will both mate with a 02G trans.

Here's the info:
      http://www.t4-wiki.de/wiki/Getriebek...tabe#1997-2003

If you google translate the page, you'll get a heading that says "Assignment Motors - Gear"
      The AES motor matches to DYA, but also to AFL. Both are 02G transmissions.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-03-2012 02:14 PM #4
      I beg to differ , I have an 02G trans with DYA code and it will definitely not fit a vr6

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-03-2012 02:18 PM #5
      Sorry 2.5 tdi

6. 08-03-2012 05:54 PM #6
      I beg to differ , I have an 02G trans with DYA code and it will definitely not fit a vr6

http://www.motorenstaab.de/Getriebe/...ennb_t4_5g.htm

I see there a listing for 02G + DYA matching up to the 2.8L 103KW engine (which is the AES engine).

(Unless there's just misinformation that a lot of these reference sites are themselves getting wrong? I guess that could be the case...?)

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-03-2012 09:40 PM #7
      OMG
      Sorry I am confusing myself and you. I meant that I have an 02G AFK and THAT will not fit an AES engine, and that the 02G DYA would fit to an AES engine, but your chart shows a AFK gearbox that came with a 2.5TD engine starting at 08,95,( i guess it's a typo )

OOPS will be more cautious with all the many Vw codes
      Last edited by Zoliaxk; 08-03-2012 at 09:56 PM.

8. 08-06-2012 04:00 PM #8
      I have located a company that sells rebuilt 02g transmissions they have AFL listed there was also an FJSDYA. none in at the moment. however It is listed as a 2,5tdi transmission. My next step I need to find diagrams that would show the bolt patterns fore the aes engine and the 02g transmissions. In an other thread there was mentioned the possibility of swapping the bell housing but the bell housing is connected all the way across to the axel and is not meant to house a manual clutch . If I have to I will buy a service manual but they are expensive. Does any body know of any diagrams on line I have looked and cant find them. If I make it past this step I will still have to make the clutch from a 2.5tdi work with an aes engen

9. 08-08-2012 11:46 AM #9
      chart shows a AFK gearbox that came with a 2.5TD engine starting at 08,95,( i guess it's a typo )
      According to ETKA the AFK was used from 01/96-07/99, but ETKA has known to have "typos" too so...

10. 08-08-2012 11:58 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by iva View Post
      I have located a company that sells rebuilt 02g transmissions they have AFL listed there was also an FJSDYA. none in at the moment. however It is listed as a 2,5tdi transmission
      Ok well as you can see from the above link:
      http://www.t4-wiki.de/wiki/Getriebek...tabe#1997-2003

AFL & DYA are 5sp transmission codes that were used with the AES engine, as for the FJS it is listed to be used with an ACV which in turn is a 2.5TDI 102hp engine 01/96-09/03, while they do differ on the 1st gear it appears that the rest of the gears are the same including the final gear so they could indeed be compatible VR6 <-> 2.5TDI by gear ratios!

Quote Originally Posted by iva View Post
      . My next step I need to find diagrams that would show the bolt patterns fore the aes engine and the 02g transmissions. In an other thread there was mentioned the possibility of swapping the bell housing but the bell housing is connected all the way across to the axel and is not meant to house a manual clutch . If I have to I will buy a service manual but they are expensive. Does any body know of any diagrams on line I have looked and cant find them. If I make it past this step I will still have to make the clutch from a 2.5tdi work with an aes engen
      You won't really find any such diagrams out there but you can find fairly decent pics of the transmissions. There has been some debates about the fitment of these transmissions onto the VR6 engines but there shouldn't really be any question, ETKA shows them as having been used, there has been at least one professional conversion in the US and I have a friend who has one of these MTs (no not for sale) so it should all be fairly straight forward.

Now you will need the MT and clutch pedal etc components from an 1993 Eurovan unless you want to source that too from Europe (used?) from a newer one or from the dealer (brand new) for $$$ (some of it maybe even NLA? Since 93 is becoming ancient fairly quickly).

*I* have NOT done any of these conversions but fairly up to speed on a similar conversion that is the 4 cylinder TDIs w/MT conversions...