Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MKV tdi jetta drivers side axle problem

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Jetta TDI
      07-30-2012 11:23 AM #1
      Hi Everyone,

I was following along the mkv jetta front strut removal instructions and have hit a problem. Where the Axle was to be pushed out on the drivers side, it seems some pin in the middle of where the axle splines are, pushed into the cv joint and is now just loosely moving about.

I used the instructions from myturbodiesel, and this is this the part I'm talking about.

"Using a plastic or wood dowel, tap the axle on the outer face to push it through the hub. Try not to hit it hard with metal since this can deform the axle or damage the hub splines. I suggest spraying it with some PB Blaster and letting soak to loosen the bond and lubricate the splines. Again, on the driver's side you probably have to pull the axle all the way out, on the pass side you may only have to push it halfway out."

The rod i used was small enough diameter to push whatever that pin is in the middle of the axle. I have now been able to tap out the axle splines from the hub splines, but there is a hole in the middle of the axle splines and I can see inside the cv boot through it. I see a lot of grease in there, but not the pin that got pushed in.

What is this pin, and what do I do to get it back out and into the middle of the axle spline?

Seems this pin pushed in WAY easier than the actual axle itself.

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Jetta TDI
      07-31-2012 08:04 AM #2
      Anyone know what that center pin is in the middle of the axle-side splines?