Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1.6 diesel turbo question help would be appericiated

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1984 jetta turbo diesel
      07-30-2012 04:49 PM #1
      hello i just bought a 1984 turbo diesel jetta with 10,000 miles on engine and tranny rebuild
      i paid on body $2,000 and theres 140,000 on the body and i am wondering if i paid too much.good car needs a lil work but no rust no dents
      good interior,needs tires,rear wire harness,rear bulb trays starter,battery,and needs a turbo put on
      when i bought it had no turbo on it up and im wanting to know what are the specs for a stock turbo i just want a oem stock replacement and cant find info as to what numbers i should adhere to i have a stock factory intake manifold and exhaust is this compatible and if so is it hard to do my self or should i pay someone i have a little mechanical knowledge just not with turbos is it a matter of oil feed and return lines and making sure i have correct gaskets and torque specifications followed

-CNC Billet Aluminum
      -Stage 3 turbo Suggested for 1.6L to 2.3L -150-300 HP increase
      -Capable of 5-35 PSI output at peak power performance
      -Designed to fit most Aftermarket Mainfolds and OEM T3 Manifolds.
      -Wet float bearing
      Compressor Specs :
      -3" Compressor Inlet
      -2.130" Inducer
      -2.755" Major
      -2" Compressor Outlet
      -T04B/T4 Type Compressor Housing
      -Compressor .49 A.R.
      -Compressor .50 Trim
      Turbine Specs :
      -Turbo flange = T3
      -Downpipe flange = 5-bolt T3
      -Turbine .57 A.R.
      -2.205" Minor and 2.570" Major Propellar
      -2.274" Outlet
      -Oil feed = T3
      -Oil return = T3

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      07-30-2012 04:55 PM #2
      Not sure on the exact specs, but you'll be looking for a Garrett T3 if you are keeping it stock. Do you know why it was all rebuilt? At 140k, I wouldn't think it would really need it. How much of a rebuild did they do? Why no turbo on it?
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 190k, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 138k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 159k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1984 jetta turbo diesel
      07-30-2012 05:19 PM #3
      new head rings pistons and all new bearings
      he had a aftermarket turbo but he sold it before i bought the car

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1984 jetta turbo diesel
      07-30-2012 05:21 PM #4
      im not sure why it was rebuilt

Vehicles
      mkiv: 20v, tdi jetta, tdi golf, 98 tdi jetta (parts)
      07-30-2012 07:55 PM #5
      stock turbo was a k24 on the mk2 td and there normally sought after by mk3 owners like myself as a nice upgrade

id say a turbo swap in the drive way is doable depending solely on your skill and it will make a mess... do you have oil return lines ??? and do you know the enging code.. this would help prove that it was a boosted tdi and not just a NA swap. If the PO lied and its just an NA diesel you could blow the motor by passing the ability of the NA ( im sure the td uses a stronger rod/piston combo)
      I POLISH INQUIRE

Quote Originally Posted by .:R Wagon View Post
      Oh and i have a money tree,

Vehicles
      07-30-2012 10:25 PM #6
      An '84 would be a mk1 which came with the T3. I know, I own an '84 TD myself

And even if it was an NA, plenty turbo their NAs. They can take quite the beating honestly. The biggest issue is the EGT's.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 190k, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg

Vehicles
      1960 Euro Bug, 1992 Golf VR6, 82 Caddy Diesel, 87 Cabby
      07-31-2012 10:50 AM #7
      You might want to post a pic of your engine and injection pump...
      If you dont know the seller personally of the car, I wouldn't be too shocked if they put a non-turbo motor in there...
      The turbo injection pumps are special for the turbo diesel. They supply extra fuel under boost.

If you are 100% sure you have a turbo diesel engine/intake, etc I have a friend who has some TD manifolds, turbos, lines, etc laying around from when we got into turboing gassers in the mid 90s.. We bought a bunch of stock TD parts thinking they would make turboing a gasser easy but it wasn't worth the hassle.. I got rid of the stuff I had a long time ago but I was talking to him last night and apparantly he hung on to much of his stuff.

If you want, send me a PM and I will give you his number.. He doesn't know much about working on the diesels, but if you know what parts you need he can tell you what he has..

Vehicles
      07-31-2012 06:47 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      An '84 would be a mk1 which came with the T3. I know, I own an '84 TD myself

And even if it was an NA, plenty turbo their NAs. They can take quite the beating honestly. The biggest issue is the EGT's.
      wow yeah ur totaly right 84 is mk1 lol
      soon as i hear 1.6 i assumed mk2... as i remember or at least in canada, oem mk1 td are not an easy find.

Id say the car was most likely a 1.6 NA all along like my 84 caddy was.
      In witch case you dont need much to built a turbo set up for it , i pulled all my stuff off a mk3 aaz in the bone yard. You will need intake mai, turbo ko3,k14,k24(stock bolt ons) oil feed lines, oil pump/sender unit, down pipe, some vac hose, and a turbo pump or head unit. another nice tuch would be a cummins fuel pin , oh and the inlet pipe that runs from the turbo to intake.

if your 1.6 wasn't boosted and u wanted to lower egts to be safe, you can run the intercooler setup from a 98 mk3 tdi, as 1.9 aaz and 1.6 td didnt come with IC's its a nice upgrade.
      I POLISH INQUIRE

Vehicles
      07-31-2012 07:05 PM #9
      No AAZ sold here in the states from the factory. They are around but decently hard to come by. There are other setups you can do for sure, but plenty of people sell TD setups with everything you need, even if its not a T3 factory setup. vwdiesel.net usually has some stuff for sale.

And yes, a picture of the engine bay would help us figure out if its a factory TD or not. Since it doesn't have a turbo on it, I'd bet it was an NA that the PO was planning to turbo. If it was a factory TD, where did the stock turbo go?

And yes, the mk1 TD is a pretty rare beast. '83 and '84 Jetta and Rabbit only. Ours is factory

Vehicles
      08-01-2012 12:45 AM #10
      No AAZ sold here in the states from the factory. They are around but decently hard to come by. There are other setups you can do for sure, but plenty of people sell TD setups with everything you need, even if its not a T3 factory setup. vwdiesel.net usually has some stuff for sale.

And yes, a picture of the engine bay would help us figure out if its a factory TD or not. Since it doesn't have a turbo on it, I'd bet it was an NA that the PO was planning to turbo. If it was a factory TD, where did the stock turbo go?

And yes, the mk1 TD is a pretty rare beast. '83 and '84 Jetta and Rabbit only. Ours is factory

oh yeah thats right aaz canada only :S

your a lucky man mine was gutless

god i miss my caddy
      I POLISH INQUIRE

11. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      08-01-2012 01:49 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by mk3dream View Post
      stock turbo was a k24 on the mk2 td and there normally sought after by mk3 owners like myself as a nice upgrade

id say a turbo swap in the drive way is doable depending solely on your skill and it will make a mess... do you have oil return lines ??? and do you know the enging code.. this would help prove that it was a boosted tdi and not just a NA swap. If the PO lied and its just an NA diesel you could blow the motor by passing the ability of the NA ( im sure the td uses a stronger rod/piston combo)
      dude, everything you said there is 100% wrong..

whoever said you cant boost a n/a, has obviously never done it before..

ive got a n/a with a VNT20, and ~40psi boost.. still running STRONG!

the TD and N/A engines have IDENTICAL bottom ends. the only difference is the TD has oil squirters under the pistons, and it has notches in the pistons to clear them..

same crank, same rods, same everything else.

OP: if you are looking for a bolt on turbo, then you need a K14, K24, or T3 off a VW diesel..

any old T3 wont fit.. unless you get a manifold for it.

Vehicles
      08-01-2012 10:48 AM #12
      your a lucky man mine was gutless
      If you are talking to me, check the user name one more time

13. 08-01-2012 11:13 AM #13
      The K24 and T3 were used interchangeably on the Mk1 and Mk2 1.6TD engines. The deciding factor on which turbo was installed does not follow the mk1/mk2 division. I have seen both on the same model/year.

Turboing a N/A motor is not an issue, IMO, provided the engine is not over-fueled. Actually, I have a VNT15 on an 11mm n/a 1.6 motor right now and it is over-fueled and it won't seem to die. The crank and rods are the same. The TD block has piston cooling oil jets, but if you don't go nuts increasing the fuel, the engine will actually run COOLER with the added air of a turbo. I believe the mk1 TD heads were a different base casting than the n/a ones with a stronger alloy, but the n/a head will still handle it just fine.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      08-01-2012 05:57 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by libbybapa View Post
      The K24 and T3 were used interchangeably on the Mk1 and Mk2 1.6TD engines. The deciding factor on which turbo was installed does not follow the mk1/mk2 division. I have seen both on the same model/year.

Turboing a N/A motor is not an issue, IMO, provided the engine is not over-fueled. Actually, I have a VNT15 on an 11mm n/a 1.6 motor right now and it is over-fueled and it won't seem to die. The crank and rods are the same. The TD block has piston cooling oil jets, but if you don't go nuts increasing the fuel, the engine will actually run COOLER with the added air of a turbo. I believe the mk1 TD heads were a different base casting than the n/a ones with a stronger alloy, but the n/a head will still handle it just fine.

yes, this is VERY TRUE andrew.. THEY DO NOT DIE...

only 1.5s die, and only when you get up around 35psi built (and LOADS of drive pressure)

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1984 jetta turbo diesel
      08-01-2012 11:05 PM #15
      hey thanks everybody big help! and il get some pictures up soon

Vehicles
      08-03-2012 12:36 AM #16
      If you are talking to me, check the user name one more time
      bad ass... iv made this mistake more than once on here lol

Quote Originally Posted by Glegor View Post
      dude, everything you said there is 100% wrong..
      thanks for pointing that out bud, but some one had already beat you to it

if you had read all the posts than you would have seen that, so yes my bad

this is my first year playing with the diesels - still a learin but trying to still help where i can

on that same note is it better to run vnt 17or20 then say a 50 trim with a small hot side... thinking Bt for one of my DDs

not trying to thread jack just seen ur specs^
      I POLISH INQUIRE

17. Member
      Vehicles
      08-03-2012 02:34 PM #17
      bad ass... iv made this mistake more than once on here lol

thanks for pointing that out bud, but some one had already beat you to it

if you had read all the posts than you would have seen that, so yes my bad

this is my first year playing with the diesels - still a learin but trying to still help where i can

on that same note is it better to run vnt 17or20 then say a 50 trim with a small hot side... thinking Bt for one of my DDs

not trying to thread jack just seen ur specs^
      a vnt17 is 100% different from a VNT20. and a 50 trim is different than all of them..

small hot sides are BAD.. they make the exhaust side of the engine a restriction.. thats no good for power..

the VNT is the way to go.. if you want insta spool, go with a VNT15 or 17..

if you want a big turbo that flows LOTS of air, go with a VNT20 or bigger.. my VNT20 makes more than enough boost for my 9mm injection pump.. 30psi boost @ 1200*f..... i need more fuel.

Vehicles
      97 Trek, 81 Jetta, 81 Rabbit
      08-10-2012 07:47 PM #18
      where are you seeing that turbo for sale? half the stuff it says doesn't make sense, regardless, unless you're doing an all out performance build that thing is way too big.
      ..........___..................___..............._ __
      ......._//_|_\__........._//_|_\__........//|_|_\__
      ......|_@_|_|@|..O0o|_@_|_|@|..O0o|@_|_|@|

19. Member
      Vehicles
      08-11-2012 12:23 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Trev0rBr View Post
      where are you seeing that turbo for sale? half the stuff it says doesn't make sense, regardless, unless you're doing an all out performance build that thing is way too big.
      x2..