Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: iPad 3 Integration

1. 07-31-2012 11:28 AM #1
      Hey guys,

I'm new posting to the community here, but I'm quite excited to see a large support group for upgrading our CCs!

So, a few months back I built a custom mount for my iPad 2, which involved drilling into my dash, welding aircraft aluminum, and bonding neodymium magnets to the metal frame I built. I've been using the Grom setup for connecting my steering wheel controls and stereo to the iPad. The iPad 2 was able to keep its charge, but after upgrading to the iPad 3, I need at least 2.1 Amps to keep it charging. The Grom setup only gets 1Amp from the factory radio. Has anyone dealt with this, it would anyone know how to pull more power from the radio or from inside the dashboard? I don't want to use my cigarette lighter to supplement the power source.

Onto another question... The phone button on my 2009 CC Sport currently isn't mapped to anything. Does anyone know what's needed to get that working with a Bluetooth setup?

Thanks!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VR6 4 Motion LBM - 2000 Audi S4 Sponsored
      07-31-2012 11:34 AM #2
      You drilled into your dash? How about some pictures on that setup.

Yes our early build 09's were shafted with bluetooth and rear back up camera for those with the VR6. You need the 9W7 Bluetooth module that connects under the passenger seat, run the microphone and do a little vag programing and you should be good. I think there is a 9W3 module as well and depending on which head unit you have intergration as well. I haven't made the jump because frankly I don't spend enough time in my car to be talking on the phone long enough where picking up it isn't a problem, but it's on my long list.

3. Member
      07-31-2012 04:17 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by baddceo View Post
      You drilled into your dash? How about some pictures on that setup.
      THIS.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Deep Black Metallic
      07-31-2012 05:57 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by njm23 View Post
      THIS.
      Pics or it didn't happen
      2012 CC R-Line Deep Black Metallic

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0t
      07-31-2012 06:21 PM #5

6. 08-01-2012 10:49 PM #6
      Hes gonna hate himself in September when the 7inch ipad is unveiled. Especially with the new retina that doesnt need backlighting thus need less juice to run.

7. Member
      08-02-2012 02:48 AM #7
      what is this.. a joke? Come in here, just joined, saying you put an ipad in your dash??

8. 08-02-2012 10:01 AM #8

[IMG][/IMG]

9. 08-02-2012 10:24 AM #9
      Actually, I've been looking at that 7inch iPad. I wanna wait to see if it has GPS first. That'd make a killer in-dash control center.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 CC Sport 6MT
      08-02-2012 10:50 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by cleverthought View Post
      Actually, I've been looking at that 7inch iPad. I wanna wait to see if it has GPS first. That'd make a killer in-dash control center.
      There's no reason it wouldn't have GPS. You can safely bet it will have it since the iPhone and iPad have it now.

... Still waiting to see pics ...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VR6 4 Motion LBM - 2000 Audi S4 Sponsored
      08-02-2012 11:25 AM #12
      I'll give you props for a good looking mounting system but and it's a big but, that iPad sitting there looks ridiculous.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      08-02-2012 11:46 AM #13
      That's a really cool system for sure, but why didn't you make a side slider mount? That's what I've been considering. They make pre-made fiberglass shells that can be made as a starting point..probably my favorite part of your setup is the factory radio is still there. That's what I would do, just so when the iPad isn't there, there isn't a black gap where something should be.
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

13. 08-02-2012 11:50 AM #14
      The idea was to make it float just in front of the gear shift, while allowing for the ability to completely remove both the iPad and the mount when I park in the city. I installed 4 inch aluminum tubes where you see those holes for the mount to slide into.

For the iPad mini I'd like to put it indash with a verticals sliding door to hide it (similar to the cup holder cover). I've got to find a way to keep my link to the speakers and steering wheel. Any thoughts?

14. 08-02-2012 11:56 AM #15
      Do you have any links or examples of that side mount you're talking about?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      08-02-2012 05:55 PM #16
      Do you have any links or examples of that side mount you're talking about?

Full credit goes to SoundMan Car Audio. They have a Youtube channel where they show what goes into these. They actually a different mount that utilizes the magnet in the iPad, which seems like it would be simpler. It would also be much easier to make. The trick for me anyway, would be to make it look "decent" when the iPad isn't there. Anyways, the magnet mount is pretty simple. There's a little ledge that the magnet side of the iPad sits on, and it just is held there magnetically. Check out their site for more info and pics, as well as their forum which has a section dedicated to iPads.

-Edit: I realized I didn't talk much about the pic...the iPad would slide in from the passenger side and line up with the dock connector hidden in the mount on the drivers side of the dash piece. Also, if you check out the link, you can see you can be as simple or elaborate as you like.
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

Vehicles
      2009 CC Sport, Candy White
      08-02-2012 07:26 PM #17
      Far cleaner than I envisioned....Looks pretty nice actually....two black rubber plugs to fill the holes when removed maybe? In the end, one trim piece replaced and back to full stock good as new...no?

17. 08-03-2012 05:09 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by piperpilot964 View Post
      Far cleaner than I envisioned....Looks pretty nice actually....two black rubber plugs to fill the holes when removed maybe? In the end, one trim piece replaced and back to full stock good as new...no?
      Yup, you got it

A while ago, I spent some time looking for something to plug the holes when it's removed. But I hardly remove it, so I gave up. The drilling didn't affect any inside components of the car - just some hard plastic molding mostly. I drilled just enough to get the tubing in there to hold the ipad mount sufficiently.

The slide in approach is pretty cool, but I don't think the CC dash is big enough to house something like that in the dash - at least for the full size ipad currently.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      08-03-2012 05:15 PM #19
      Yup, you got it

A while ago, I spent some time looking for something to plug the holes when it's removed. But I hardly remove it, so I gave up. The drilling didn't affect any inside components of the car - just some hard plastic molding mostly. I drilled just enough to get the tubing in there to hold the ipad mount sufficiently.

The slide in approach is pretty cool, but I don't think the CC dash is big enough to house something like that in the dash - at least for the full size ipad currently.
      Yeah the B6 dash is very similar if not the same as far as radio is concerned. You would have to build it out and even after all that work, it would still probably look a little weird. I like the magnet idea for myself though, looking into it further...the iPad mini should be pretty sweet. I am already planning to get the new iPhone on release day but may get the mini too, if they are there and worth it.