Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Wondering if I found a rare gem?

1. 07-31-2012 03:27 PM #1
      I've been reading around, and the thing I seem to see alot is that the 4motion 5spd passats are rare.

Now, I'm a noob to vw, but I know cars. I bought this car on the weekend thinking it was just a regular 1.8t 5spd FWD. When I went to check it out, I popped the hood and saw a longitudinally mounted engine, and cv shafts going to the front wheels. Now adding up two and two, I figured it was an AWD.

Now my question is that would this be a quattro like the audis, or a 4motion??

I wanted to take pics of it, but looks almost as if we're going to have a tornado!

It would be nice if this was a rare find. Would make up for all the bs and scams i've encountered over the years buying off classifieds websites lol

Should have mentioned its a 1998, and is immaculate condition, aside from little things to be fixed.

Vehicles
      static mk6 GTI/static mk2 Jetta Wolfie
      07-31-2012 04:12 PM #2
      4motion. idk what engine it really is, i don't remember a AWD passat w/ 1.8t
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      I've seen hookers with less gap.
      Click here for lulz. ~
      mk6. | Instagram @fist_sluts | Chucktown Dubs.

3. 07-31-2012 08:42 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by rhodri45 View Post
      4motion. idk what engine it really is, i don't remember a AWD passat w/ 1.8t
      That's what I'm saying... I've looked around, but can't find anything on an AWD passat. Everything drivetrain related matches up to an A4...

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      08-01-2012 01:09 PM #4
      I may be a bit confused, but you do know the Passat is FWD right?
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 190k, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 138k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 159k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI Highline, 1996 Audi UrS6, 1991 Mk2 Jetta (mint)
      08-01-2012 02:41 PM #5
      They did make a 4-motion passat and yes there were versions that had a 5-speed (although very rare, most were automatics), however....All passats from your era had longitudially mounted engines as they were based off the Audi chassis...most were just FWD. If it doesn't say 4-motion on it or doesn't have a rear diff, it's only a FWD

6. 08-01-2012 08:36 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by speedtek40 View Post
      They did make a 4-motion passat and yes there were versions that had a 5-speed (although very rare, most were automatics), however....All passats from your era had longitudially mounted engines as they were based off the Audi chassis...most were just FWD. If it doesn't say 4-motion on it or doesn't have a rear diff, it's only a FWD
      You're totally right lol! Told ya I was a noob to vw's

I have never seen a longitudinally mounted engine be solely for fwd. leave it those pesky Germans to force me to re-learn everything about cars again!

Only saw it today because I got it up on a hoist to give it a once over for safety inspection. I still would have bought it regardless.

Thanks for the info!

Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI Highline, 1996 Audi UrS6, 1991 Mk2 Jetta (mint)
      08-01-2012 10:22 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by midnightmekanik View Post
      You're totally right lol! Told ya I was a noob to vw's

I have never seen a longitudinally mounted engine be solely for fwd. leave it those pesky Germans to force me to re-learn everything about cars again!

Only saw it today because I got it up on a hoist to give it a once over for safety inspection. I still would have bought it regardless.

Thanks for the info!
      No problem, the Germans have been mounting longitudal engines to FWD setups for years......
      VW/Audi Fox
      Audi 100
      Audi 5000
      Audi 80/90
      VW Passat
      The list goes on....

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      08-02-2012 05:25 AM #8
      Mine has the Torsen AWD - but I have the V6.

1.8T 4Motion is extremely rare in the US. I don't think any were MT, though.

The B5 Passats have a great feel to them with the extended Audi A4 chassis - you can tell it has a longitudinal engine the minute you drive it.

Unfortunately, they take some TLC, and used ones that are neglected may cost several $1,000 in repairs and maintenance in the first couple of years.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      static mk6 GTI/static mk2 Jetta Wolfie
      08-04-2012 12:08 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      Mine has the Torsen AWD - but I have the V6.

1.8T 4Motion is extremely rare in the US. I don't think any were MT, though.

The B5 Passats have a great feel to them with the extended Audi A4 chassis - you can tell it has a longitudinal engine the minute you drive it.

Unfortunately, they take some TLC, and used ones that are neglected may cost several $1,000 in repairs and maintenance in the first couple of years.
      could have been a manny swap. but yes, very rare. most are just imported from europe. they're super sweet though.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      I've seen hookers with less gap.
      Click here for lulz. ~
      mk6. | Instagram @fist_sluts | Chucktown Dubs.