Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Mounting a Radar Detector?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Yamaha R6, 2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
      07-31-2012 06:09 PM #1
      Well after 4 years of ticketless-ness, I've gotten three speeding tickets in three months since the North Carolina SHP has started staking out my new commute. Needless to say, its dampened my enthusiasm for riding a bit, and its made me hate my commute even more now. So now I want to fight back against the man, and get a radar detector. Has anyone had any luck rigging one up to a sportbike? I'm thinking a blinking light rather than a chirp, because I can't hear **** when I'm riding.

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 TQM (mine), 2008 Mazda CX-7 (Hers), 1992 Kawasaki Ninja 600R (Toy)
      07-31-2012 06:15 PM #2
      they all flash and make a sound. finding a proper way to mount might be an issue so that the laser can scan and not be obstructed. I thought the valentine 1 had a motorcycle accessory but i dont remember.
      Need repair work in the suburbs Contact: J'S REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE
      Plainfield, IL VAG-COM EQUIPPED 815-556-0027 http://www.jrpshop.com/

Need detailing or United Motorsport Flashing in the Chicago area Contact: Luis (nkgneto)
      http://www.AutomobileDaySpa.com https://www.facebook.com/AutomobileDaySpa

Vehicles
      one Chevy, one Audi, one VW, one Beemer, dead but not forgotten, and one Suzuki
      08-03-2012 01:50 AM #3
      I always wire mine into my helmet. No need to see it, which will not happen if you are paying attention to your suroundings. If I hear a beep in the helmet, I know to check my speed. So I always look for a detector that has a earphone jack. You can either get a cheap ear bud set and just put one into your helmet, or use a motorcycle helmet speaker system, and/or bluetooth and go more advanced. My set up overrides my music in my left ear so I hear it immediatly, even with me wearing ear plugs.

As for mounting, I used to use a suction cup attachment to my screen with a hook added to catch the top of the screen. Now I use an aluminum bracket I made, that is attached to the back of my instrument cluster. I have velcro on the bottom of the detector with an additional velcro wrap going around it to insure it is not going anywhere. Then I use a ziplock baggy with a rubber band to water proof it.
      Last edited by Snowhere; 08-03-2012 at 01:56 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by rice is burning View Post
      I get tired of watching Hummer H2s race around. It's like a bikini contest for 300 lb women.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Yamaha R6, 2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
      08-03-2012 09:12 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
      I always wire mine into my helmet. No need to see it, which will not happen if you are paying attention to your suroundings. If I hear a beep in the helmet, I know to check my speed. So I always look for a detector that has a earphone jack. You can either get a cheap ear bud set and just put one into your helmet, or use a motorcycle helmet speaker system, and/or bluetooth and go more advanced. My set up overrides my music in my left ear so I hear it immediatly, even with me wearing ear plugs.

As for mounting, I used to use a suction cup attachment to my screen with a hook added to catch the top of the screen. Now I use an aluminum bracket I made, that is attached to the back of my instrument cluster. I have velcro on the bottom of the detector with an additional velcro wrap going around it to insure it is not going anywhere. Then I use a ziplock baggy with a rubber band to water proof it.
      Nice! Good to hear feedback. So the earbud isn't annoying then? I'm just thinking that the wire would piss me off, and I usually ride with earplugs. And I figure that if the light is bright enough I'd see it, but you could be right, I might miss it.