Vehicles
      81 rabbit, 04 R32
      08-01-2012 11:23 PM #26
      I'm NA but very much not stock at all

2. Member
      Vehicles
      DBP
      08-01-2012 11:31 PM #27
      Personally, I don't care if she's not the fastest. This is the best car I've ever driven. I actually think that it is the perfect balance of speed and handling. I love every minute in it!

Back to the post;
      Buying NGKs at Advance Auto Parts, the guy finds my car in his computer, looks at the price and says "wow! what is it? some kinda Lamborghini?" haha

Vehicles
      04 .:R32/88 e30 convertible
      08-02-2012 12:55 AM #28
      I like that most people don't know what an R32 is.

Vehicles
      MkIV R32 (R.I.P), E36 M3 Sedan
      08-02-2012 09:40 AM #29
      The parts guy at the Clarkesville dealer had no idea what an R32 is when I called looking for ignition coils.

At the recycling depot I had an older (60s+) gentleman step out of his beige Camry and ask me, "They'll insure an R32 here in Nashville?" So, he had some idea of it as an uncommon car, but seemed to think it was on a par with bonafide exotics.

I just smiled and replied, "Yeah, as far as insurance and LEOs are concerned it's just a Golf. I don't mind that one bit."

Another time I had a guy in an F150 come up to me in a parking lot after I had passed him on the road and ask what I had done to the engine or if it always sounded that good.

The best was the lat 30s soccer mom (and MILF) with 6-year old in tow who was ogling my car as I came out of the supermarket. She said it made her miss her GTI that she had given up when she had her first kid.

Vehicles
      mk4 r32t /mk6 dsg golf tdi
      08-02-2012 10:43 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
      ...straight line they're not fast, but I wouldn't say they're "slow as crap" in other applications.

that mazda rotory truck would of destroyed any of our Rs through the dragon

6. Member
      Vehicles
      RS '04 R, '10 Jetta TDI
      08-02-2012 10:44 AM #31
      I once explained what the R32 is to a curious guy in a parking lot by calling it the "body and interior, though a little nicer, of a fourth-generation Golf with the drivetrain and suspension of an AWD VR6 Audi TT."

He actually said to me "Buddy, I used to work for Volkswagen and I know they never made anything like that. But you get credit for doing this cool conversion yourself" (I have no R32 badges front or rear... not that they would have meant anything to this guy I guess). I asked him why the different bumpers, etc, then. He said he knew that anyone can buy just about any funky body mods for just about any car. I just said "True." So I showed him the R32 trim piece inside the door sill, and he scoffed a little and said "So? You could've made those too, for all I know." Dunno why he was so insistent. Dunno why he had nothing to say when I said "Why would I make this up?"

Finally I was like "What did you do for Volkswagen?" and he told me he'd been in finance. Still seems rather unlikely that he could be that clueless.
      No more "Boy meets girl, boy loses girl."
      More like "Man tries to understand what the hell went wrong."

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen 3.2 liter 4Motion Golf 2010 Volkswagen Routan SE
      08-02-2012 12:40 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by JDM-JTI View Post
      that mazda rotory truck would of destroyed any of our Rs through the dragon
      Don't bet your skinny jeans and horn rimmed glasses on it.

Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '05 E320 CDI / '87 GTI VRT
      08-02-2012 01:03 PM #33

Vehicles
      Euro 2001 MKIV 2.8 V6 4motion (5 door) - HGP Turbo
      08-02-2012 01:51 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by YikeGrymon View Post
      Still seems rather unlikely that he could be that clueless.
      Dont be so sure. The world is full of clueless people...
      HGP-T 450PS, Unibrace, 225/40/18 AD08s, OZ Ultraleggera, Light BBK F&R, Recaro Interior, .:R extras, MFD Navi, Phatbox, JCaps, Neuspeed, PSS9s, H2Sport Stage 3, DLI-Teknik, GC links, bHPP, etc...

Vehicles
      mk4 r32t /mk6 dsg golf tdi
      08-02-2012 05:23 PM #35
      did you watch that guy plow through the turns? dude had NO fear whatsoever

and i wear 32/32 boot cut jeans .. no skinny jeans here haha
      Last edited by JDM-JTI; 08-02-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen 3.2 liter 4Motion Golf 2010 Volkswagen Routan SE
      08-02-2012 08:35 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by JDM-JTI View Post
      did you watch that guy plow through the turns? dude had NO fear whatsoever

and i wear 32/32 boot cut jeans .. no skinny jeans here haha
      I saw the RX 7 guys ripping it up but crossing the yellow too...

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 1992 GTI 16VT, 2013 Golf TDI
      08-03-2012 05:35 AM #37
      I just had to do smog recently and the tech wanted to put my car on the roller. He swore it was a fwd Golf before I pointed out "R32" in his book for him. Upon telling him it was awd, he corrected me with "You mean fwd with traction control, right?" Really? I know it's CA and people pull all kinds of tricks to try and get around smog, but your boss drives a crazy Evo to work every day...

13. Member
      Vehicles
      RS '04 R, '10 Jetta TDI
      08-03-2012 08:49 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by gtiador View Post
      I just had to do smog recently and the tech wanted to put my car on the roller. He swore it was a fwd Golf before I pointed out "R32" in his book for him. Upon telling him it was awd, he corrected me with "You mean fwd with traction control, right?" Really? I know it's CA and people pull all kinds of tricks to try and get around smog, but your boss drives a crazy Evo to work every day...
      Yep. Smacks of the finance guy who "knew better." Really annoying. Not a huge deal, but still annoying.

Also proves my old theory of de-badging wrong. First car I ever bought new was an '86 Honda CRX Si. Took all the badges off of that (found that Honda affixed some of them with pins though... thus I had some holes here and there to contend with immediately, which, at that age, of course I did). So I had my wee black Honda pod with no H on the front, no other H or CIVIC or CRX on the back, no red Si thing down low on the back. My GF at the time (along with some others) gave me noise about this. "Don't you want anyone to know what kind of car it is?" I always said "No, it just looks a lot cleaner this way. Plus I'm sure that anyone who really cares already knows what it is." Guess I'm wrong about that.

But of course any car looks better without this stuff. So the GTI was removed from the back of the old GTI, and of course the R32 came of the front and rear of the R.

14. 08-03-2012 09:46 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by gruppe-b View Post
      ^^no,actually that's correct.i was surprised to find that fact out only a couple of years ago,myself.
      it seems that all VR6 Audis & VWs use the same oil filter--2.8,2.9.3.2--though not certain about the 3.6? i'd never owned a VR engined VW before this one.i only found out when i asked around on here,because i had trouble finding filters at parts stores(R32 wasn't in most databases at the time)
      That is not true. All MKIV VR6's after 1999.5 have the same oil filter, regardless if they are 12 or 24 valve would be more correct but there may still be some exceptions. Most of the VR6 oil filters previous to that are larger, there is even a difference of what years have metal vs. plastic end caps which is mainly OBDI vs. OBDII cars.

Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32 DeepBluePerleffekt (B5R)
      08-03-2012 09:06 PM #40
      well,ok. i admit i'm wrong about this.
      being that this is the MkIV R32 forum,i just meant that all VR6 oil filters that we would be *immediately concerned* with are for most part identical.i knew there would be some application(s) that would not be the same~as in earlier MKIII and MKIV VR's.
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Dunlop HP A/S tires on stock Aristos w/ VW Racing center caps.Powerflex+Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads.Gloss Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

Vehicles
      '04 DBP .:R32, '12 CSG Golf R
      08-03-2012 11:35 PM #41
      Was heading to The Home Depot back in 2004 and I passed few cars and cut into the turn lane. As I am walking down one of the isles in the store, a guys asks me if that was me in that blue VW. I said, yes why did I cut you off, if I did I'm sorry. He said no and wanted to know what mods I did to get a VW to sound like that. I told him the car was stock (still had the flapper and everything). He didn't believe and and kept asking what I had done to the exhaust. I briefly explained what the car was. He mentioned he raced muscle cars and said he couldn't believe an 'import' can sound that like stock.

On a different note, the R logo off the front was stolen off the front of my car (before my R32 was de-badged and shaved) and I was at a VW show at a VW dealership in Daytona, FL back in 2006 . So at the show I went up to the parts counter to ask if maybe they had the part in stock. The parts guy tells me sorry this is a VW parts dept, not a Mazda parts dept. I shook my head in disbelief and said oh, ok thanks, and walked away.

MKVI JSW parts for sale: HERE
      Fully polished Fat Fives for sale: HERE

Vehicles
      04 .:R32 ,02 Jetta 1.8T,02 GTD
      08-04-2012 12:11 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Jonnymooshoo View Post
      This thread x 10 in Canada.

You gotta love how we fly under the radar some times... I took my car to a local car meet where 95% of the cars are JDM and most people didn't even know what they were looking at. I only drew attention when I cranked the ignition on to leave and people craned their necks trying to figure out where the "muscle car" noise was coming from.
      In Canada everyone thinks is just a golf or a tuned GTI, Only few people know and even some people who know about the R32 dont know its awd here so. Every time I go to the dealer for a part i have to go to Audi because they are most likely to have it in stock because of the TT 3.2
      Follow me on Instagram Follow me on FlickrWookies In the Woods

- 2004 Vw Golf.:R32 (Timeline Thread)
      - 2002 Vw Jetta1.8T
      - 2002 Vw Golf TDI "GTD" (Timeline Thread)

Vehicles
      MKIV BMP .:R32
      08-04-2012 08:54 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by robocopywriter View Post
      The guys who work in my local PEP Boys don't even know what it is.
      The guys at my local VW DEALERSHIP don't know what it is! I go in for an oil change, and when asked if it was a Golf, or GTI I replied "Neither...it's an R32". The guy gave me the most blank/dead stare. He then went and got a mechanic who proceeded to tell me that they didn't stock parts for my car. Needless to say, I disgustedly drove out of there and would never go back again.

Vehicles
      04 R32, 07 Jetta 2.0t(wifes)
      08-04-2012 09:43 AM #44
      Wow some of these stories of people at VW dealers not knowing the car is crazy. When I take my car in they treat me like royalty. Make sure the work is done fast, clean it well, and park it right in front instead of the side of the building like the rest of the cars.
      "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." -Jeremy Clarkson

20. Member
      Vehicles
      RS '04 R, '10 Jetta TDI
      08-04-2012 11:01 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by evilpaul View Post
      Wow some of these stories of people at VW dealers not knowing the car is crazy. When I take my car in they treat me like royalty. Make sure the work is done fast, clean it well, and park it right in front instead of the side of the building like the rest of the cars.
      This is a spot-on appraisal of the whole dealership gig, I think. Total hit or miss.

I've had good and bad experiences at Dealership X, good and bad at Dealership Y. It's weird. One service-writer person at one place knows what a MkIV R32 is, a service-writer person at another has never heard of it. And still, this seems to have no bearing on whether or not I've had a "good" trip there. My last visit to a dealer service dept was for coil-pack recall. Of course you must go to a dealer for that. The guy I dealt with was way knowledgable. And this, at a place where a sales dude once said to me, a while later, "I wouldn't bring my car here for service, though."

I think it's got a lot to do with there being a pretty low common denominator of knowledge, experience, and training at a dealership. I mean they like to promote from within, etc, so there will likely always be some folks there who are "learning" more than others are? Or is this obvious.

That's why we prefer the independent places like NGP and AWE (I'm pretty much right between them). Because some people tend to "graduate" from dealerships and go there. Or is this obvious, too?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12