Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Intro to the new daily!

Vehicles
      98 GTI Vr6-T (Project) | 96 GTI Vr6 (SOLD) | 97 Passat Wagon Vr6 (Daily)
      08-01-2012 04:26 PM #1
      Just picked up a 1997 Vr wagon! Love it. I needed a daily to keep my mk3 Vrt project off the road so I can finish it up, and this one is mechanically perfect.

I did a bit of research on em, and the door handles have already been replaced It will be stock for a little bit while I finish up my GTI. But I have some plans to make it look nicer. Had it for a day so far, and I my wagon!

I'm still learning the ins and outs, like what parts are compatible between the generations (mk3 / b3 / corrado), what goodies the the european ones may have that I will want, and whatnot.

Vehicles
      1992 VW Passat GL
      08-01-2012 04:53 PM #2
      Its funny that all the B4s i've ever seen, 90% of them are green...Ah anyway, looks good!
      GulfCoast€uros
      Tampa's Home for Euro Enthusiasts!

Anyone want to trade a clean sedan for a wagon?

Vehicles
      '96 Fiat Puntamera diesel
      08-01-2012 05:38 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Tuba-man View Post
      Its funny that all the B4s i've ever seen, 90% of them are green...Ah anyway, looks good!
      ... and with the extra OEM feature - reverse rake.

Vehicles
      08-02-2012 01:46 AM #4
      I took off the dumb stickers on it today between rain. Reverse rake will be taken care of sooner or later. My mk3 is priority so I can bring it to h20.

Did these cars come with sunroofs? Mine doesn't have one. Also was wondering where the button for the central locking is? Went to get gas and used the old 'turn the key twice' trick on the drivers door to unlock the gas door, because I couldn't find a button.

EDIT: I see some have sunroofs, but what is a dealer option? I thought the GLX was the fully loaded model?
      Last edited by Insan3Vr6; 08-02-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Vehicles
      08-02-2012 02:20 AM #5
      No dedicated button for central locking. Use the lock/unlock pin on the driver's door.

Vehicles
      [#==w==#]
      08-02-2012 02:21 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Insan3Vr6 View Post
      Did these cars come with sunroofs?
      Dont quote me on this because I wasnt into vw's then, but I will say this. Any model can and cant come with a moon roof. Even syncro models/glx's like yours didnt come with one. Its what the person purchasing the vehicle wanted.

man

ps, sunroof for vw=moonroof. not picky, just saying

Vehicles
      08-02-2012 02:29 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by izzo View Post
      No dedicated button for central locking. Use the lock/unlock pin on the driver's door.
      Thanks. Saw your page with a bunch of DIY's too, good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Samsquam View Post
      Dont quote me on this because I wasnt into vw's then, but I will say this. Any model can and cant come with a moon roof. Even syncro models/glx's like yours didnt come with one. Its what the person purchasing the vehicle wanted.

man

ps, sunroof for vw=moonroof. not picky, just saying
      Meh. But yeah I figured as much. Who wouldn't opt for one when buying?

Vehicles
      [#==w==#]
      08-02-2012 09:16 AM #8
      Meh. But yeah I figured as much. Who wouldn't opt for one when buying?
      Dont care for that "meh" ish. Trying to be nice. When people dont have the extra grand or two to add the option, it doesnt get added.

Vehicles
      08-02-2012 11:42 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Samsquam View Post
      Dont care for that "meh" ish. Trying to be nice. When people dont have the extra grand or two to add the option, it doesnt get added.
      Didn't mean to offend you by saying 'meh'. A moonroof is a type of sunroof, just as a wagon is a type of car. I call it a sunroof, i see no harm in that, so because your not picky, I said 'MEH' to save an explanation. But alas, I had to do it anyway.

Back on topic..

I've been going through the picture thread and see some cars with smoked ecodes? Those are custom made I assume? I've only found the clear ones.

Vehicles
      '94 Passat Wagon
      08-02-2012 01:45 PM #10
      Congrats on the daily!

Vehicles
      [#==w==#]
      08-03-2012 12:22 AM #11
      Didn't mean to offend you by saying 'meh'. A moonroof is a type of sunroof, just as a wagon is a type of car. I call it a sunroof, i see no harm in that, so because your not picky, I said 'MEH' to save an explanation. But alas, I had to do it anyway.
      No harm done. I've always been told it meant "whatever". Didnt get offended, just thought it was a bit rude. Like I said, no harm done.

dude, hope to see some updates in the future

12. Member
      Vehicles
      B4 Passat GLX, 82 caddy diesel
      08-03-2012 07:59 PM #12
      I've been going through the picture thread and see some cars with smoked ecodes? Those are custom made I assume? I've only found the clear ones.
      If your referring to ecodes similar to these, they are the easiest customization ever. The glass lenses pop right out and you just need to paint the top and bottom of the inner housing black. DO NOT paint the reflector for obvious reasons. I used painters tape to block off the reflective part, but a lot of people have had problems with it peeling off the 15 year old reflective material. I guess I got lucky. You can just use a brush to be safe. No one will ever see the imperfections once you put the lense back in.

Vehicles
      08-03-2012 10:05 PM #13
      Looks dope! Yeah that's what I was referring too. And that easy huh they just pop off? No silicone to cut out or anything? Same procedure for the NA lights? Or is that only for ecodes?

I need a whole lighting refresh in the front as you can see. NA lights are yellowy, fog is cracked on one side as well as the reflectors next to the headlights.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      B4 Passat GLX, 82 caddy diesel
      08-04-2012 06:09 PM #14
      I'm pretty sure the NA ones have a pretty good bead of sealant that is usually stronger then the plastic lense itself, so you'll need a decent heat gun to weaken the seal before you try to remove the lense. The ecodes just pop out and have a gasket that keeps then water tight. Good luck.

Vehicles
      08-04-2012 06:35 PM #15
      AFAIK, there is no such thing as smoked ecodes, be it B3 or B4. Do the Joey mod.
      Also, don't expect to see anything on the road with NA headlights.
      Best thing you can do, and highly recommended is to get a pair of ecodes and relay them.
      Do NOT get Depo, Chinese Hellas, other crystal clear crap that's on eBay.

Here's a Joey modding DIY for a B3, should be the same for B4 headlights:
      https://sites.google.com/site/stoyne...dlights-ecodes

Vehicles
      08-04-2012 09:21 PM #16
      Thanks for the info. I'm not new to the Joey mod, so it won't be an issue. And I wouldn't even bother doing it to the NA lights.

I'll have to hit up Jamie @ orchid euro to see if he has some b4 goodies. Today I took care of some things that needed attention:

- Horn didn't work, so I found a blown fuse and that fixed it up
      - Driver side mirror glass was barely hanging on. I removed, cleaned, and reinstalled it with high strength adhesive.
      - Gave it it's first wash:

Also had some extra LED's kicking around, so I swapped em in the dome light. The rear lights will be done eventually too.

Vehicles
      08-27-2012 11:07 AM #17
      Been having some weird issues. The CEL is 'flickering'. If I hit a bump, it turns off, another bump, turns back on. It does this sometimes and other times it just stays on.

I dropped the fusebox because my horn stopped working again and popped the same fuse - blown. Not sure why it keeps doing that. Found that it's a mess down there, and lots of stuff is unplugged. Anyone know where these bad boys go?

Also. The car is throwing codes for secondary air, EVAP, and 02 sensor. I check out the 02 sensor wiring and it looks like it was spliced into? Not sure why..

Vehicles
      08-27-2012 12:37 PM #18
      SAI: delete, get C2 software to clear the CEL. That is, if you don't want to start throwing money to it.
      O2 sensor: what exactly is the code? Why'd you decide it is the pre-cat one?
      Also, if an aftemarket O2 sensor is what you have, they are usually being pliced to the car's connector harness.
      Fusebox: most of these "bad boys" () can be connected to one spot only.
      Still, check here: http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

Vehicles
      09-01-2012 07:57 PM #19
      Sorry for the late response Izzo. Yeah the secondary air is like a bad omen with vr6's. I thought the Passat were supposed to have the better setups . Pump definitely doesn't turn on, and I have a spare good one from my GTI, so maybe I can swap em? Not sure if they are directly the same.

SAI code is P0411 - which I am familiar with.

In regards to everything else, my 02 sensor code is P0410 - 02 sensor B1 S2. I'm assuming that's bank 1, which is the pre-cat. Exhaust smells bad and my gas mileage is suffering a bit.

Also have P0440 and P0441 which I think are EVAP related.

Finally we have P0171 - fuel trim system too lean - Bank 1. Which I think will go away with a fresh 02 sensor.

Also. The 'flashing' CEL i've been dealing with seems to be because the OBD2 port is loose. If I wiggle it the light will dim / turn off / turn on etc.

Freakin PO. I've been cleaning up his messes. Got my ABS / Brake / Airbag light panel working again. Fixed the leather flying up from the doorcard on the driver side and resecured it (used to pull out when I shut the door. I still have to tackle that fusebox.

The door chime doesn't work (the relay is there, but nothing happens when I open the door). Also, the radio doesn't turn off by itself when I turn the car off and open the door, I have to manually turn it off.

Sorry for the winded post. Car is in good shape, just working on the things that need attention.

Vehicles
      94 Golf, 96 Wagon, 98 Jetta
      09-02-2012 09:05 PM #20
      b1 s2 I believe means bank 1 sensor 2 which should be after cat, that will go away too if you get the aforementioned c2 software.
      COYS!!!

Vehicles
      09-03-2012 02:14 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
      b1 s2 I believe means bank 1 sensor 2 which should be after cat, that will go away too if you get the aforementioned c2 software.
      AH yes, I confused myself. Bank 1 is the side closest to cylinder 1, which made me think it was the pre-cat right away. Forgot S1 is the pre-cat and S2 is the post-cat.

Well then I guess it's time for a UM chip. Do the mk3 and B4 ECU's use the same chip? I.E. can I get one from an obd2 mk3 vr6 and have it work in the Passat?

Just to keep things interesting, here are some pics of what I've been dealing with:
      Leather getting re-adhered and tucked in.

The reason my power mirrors don't work

And here is the fun stuff my brother and I had to sort through. Got it pretty much cleaned up, just cant seem to find where that one single wire blue guy goes too....

Vehicles
      09-26-2012 05:11 AM #22
      Turns out that I won't have my GTI finished for h20, so it looks like the wagon is making the trip. Had to get her ready:

Gave her a nice seafoam and oil changer. That filter was whaackkked. Of the many vr6 oil changes I have done, I have never seen a filter that bad.

Earlier in the month I did the tails up. I don't like orange/amber on my cars. I like this look. If I can scoop a legit set of RSR I'll scoop em, but I'm happy with this.

Got the hookup from a buddy on a set of Pininfarinas. Needed a bit of work, but they are coming together nice. Having a wagon is great for hauling stuff

While seafoaming, a nice deal of smoke came out from under the hood, which I narrowed down to the downpipe/cat connection. So I have to take care of that.

Also I spoke to Jeff @ UM, and I may be getting the UM chip at H20 to take care of my CEL.

Vehicles
      Lil Monster VR
      09-29-2012 10:00 AM #23
      ^^^He called me Buddy They look good

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 12:10 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by autothug View Post
      ^^^He called me Buddy They look good
      Yeah buddy They got some compliments believe it or not. So much better than the stock passat wheels. H20 was a great time as expected