Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Heads Up to Anyone Timing Their ABA

Vehicles
      93 Cabby xflow
      08-02-2012 03:52 AM #1
      I have already read through the timing procedure in the Bentley Manual and also in the FAQ here. It seems in the thread here there was some confusion about the timing marks not lining up correctly on the crankshaft/lower timing cover. Some had said there was a possibility there were some crankshafts mismanufactured. I submit another, simpler idea. Mismanufactured serpentine pulleys. I have here two pulleys aligned to the same position according to the hole for the alignment dowel on the pulley. Notice the timing notch on each pulley. FYI, both were wrong...

sent from a transistor radio using bubble gum, charcoal briquets, and a carrier pigeon

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      08-02-2012 08:32 AM #2
      That's why you're supposed to use the flywheel mark, not the crankshaft pulley mark
      2012 Corolla
      1998 GTI 2.0T

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

Vehicles
      93 Cabby xflow
      08-02-2012 11:00 AM #3
      Just putting it out there because when the flywheel is changed the timing mark may not be there. Also its not too easy to identify sometimes. Just putting it out there. Hopefully VW is not still causing people grief with phony alignment marks...
      sent from a transistor radio using bubble gum, charcoal briquets, and a carrier pigeon

Vehicles
      '96 Jetta, '78 Rabbit, '79 GMC 3/4T 4x4, 2013 BMW F700GS
      08-02-2012 02:12 PM #4
      You can see some axial displacement on the top one. My bet is they were both correct when new; over time the outer ring has slipped on the rubber and shifted the position of the mark.

Vehicles
      85 ABAT,10 CCTA Tigger
      08-04-2012 08:36 AM #5
      look at the wear on them from the crank gear! they are geezin. agree with grey. i bet if u paint a line on them, install em on a strong engine youd notice movement

6. 09-26-2012 06:33 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v o'Fury View Post
      I have already read through the timing procedure in the Bentley Manual and also in the FAQ here. It seems in the thread here there was some confusion about the timing marks not lining up correctly on the crankshaft/lower timing cover. Some had said there was a possibility there were some crankshafts mismanufactured. I submit another, simpler idea. Mismanufactured serpentine pulleys. I have here two pulleys aligned to the same position according to the hole for the alignment dowel on the pulley. Notice the timing notch on each pulley. FYI, both were wrong...

I put stick in nr.1 cylinder hole,I rotate engine, and when OT is set up with arrow on upper cover of timming belt and my nr1 cylinder isn't on the toppest level,also my marks on flywheel aren't on proper position but notch on lower wheel of v-belt is pointed to arrow on lower timming belt cover.also my car won't start but it's cranking.what could be wrong?please help.

7. 09-26-2012 06:41 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by gugi View Post
      I put stick in nr.1 cylinder hole,I rotate engine, and when OT is set up with arrow on upper cover of timming belt and my nr1 cylinder isn't on the toppest level,also my marks on flywheel aren't on proper position but notch on lower wheel of v-belt is pointed to arrow on lower timming belt cover.also my car won't start but it's cranking.what could be wrong?please help.
      There is something else.when I set up OT marks like 6 teeth before arrow on upper timing belt cover, then I got my cylinder on nr. 1 on probably toppest level because stick goes on toppest point.and my flywheel marks are visible. can anyone tell how to adjust my timing belt.?