Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL Beetle window issue thread

Vehicles
      .:R
      07-19-2012 12:00 AM #36
      Out of curiousity, is there anyone out there NOT having window issues? Has this been confirmed to be affecting 100% of Beetle owners?

We've been patient so far.. We've always driven VWs and owned a first gen Touareg and a W8 so we're used to shenanigans of all shapes and sizes
      —Alex

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle 2.5
      07-19-2012 02:54 AM #37
      I got my Beetle back in February and few days after getting it I had that window problem I took it to the dealer they replaced the window motor seemed to fix it summer rolled around... I am one of those people that prefer windows down over Air Conditioning and it will still sometimes do it maybe about 30-40% of the time but its better than what it was I am waiting to see VW do a fix for this
      When life gives you lemons don't make lemonade... GET MAD

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo /2011 Boxster Spyder
      07-19-2012 07:50 AM #38
      Got my 2012 Beetle Turbo about three weeks ago and it has the drivers window issue. Dealers service department told me that problem seems to be worse in warm climate states like Florida. Very hot here in Georgia so not surprised to have the problem if heat is a contributing factor. Hope they get a fix soon. Other than the drivers window issue, I have no other problems with my Bug.
      2012 Beetle Turbo/Platinum Grey Metallic
      Gloss Black Racing Stripes/Turbo Side Stripe
      Sunroof/Premium Fender Sound System
      Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake Stage II
      APR Stage 1 ECU Tune/Rear Deck APR badging

Vehicles
      2012 2.5L Beetle, 2006 2.5L New Beetle, 1998 New Beetle
      07-19-2012 08:13 AM #39
      Here is some info on the window.

The same problem existed with the introduction of the 2006 New Beetle. They had a repair that was about as good as the current one, but over time, eventually corrected itself.

The problem is due to the "Pinch Protection" (if someone's arm or other object is in the path of the window, when it comes into contact, will open the window). This is a safety feature.

There is too much friction between the window and the frame, which triggers the "Pinch Protection" and causes the window to re-open.

When the "Pinch Protection" has been triggered, you are supposed to wait 10 seconds before re-closing the window. Otherwise, you can try to hold down the button to manually close the window, however, since the "Pinch Protection" feature has been triggered the "Gapping" feature may not function correctly.

Took me a while to figure it out. So you need to wait 10 seconds, then manually attempt to close the window in small increments as to not re-trigger the "Pinch Protection". You can tell if you are doing it correctly as during the last increment allow it to auto-close. If it does this, the gap should also close upon turning off the can and locking the doors.

I realize this is not a fix, but may help some to close their windows until a fix is available.
      "Just look at those wheels!"

Vehicles
      2006 GLI and 1987 Scirocco 16V
      07-19-2012 08:22 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by TexasBulldog View Post
      Another video online from a different owner.

IMO we should all post videos to help put pressure on VW to get their attention.

(video)
      If VW is making customer's payments and buying back cars, they are working on this problem. TRUST ME. No company wants to open themselves up to unhappy customers, online posts, and videos of the problems.

As I mentioned somewhere else (perhaps I should organize all the window threads into one), the problem is not an instant fix. First they have to determine what the problem is. Then they have to find out what happened/what changed from design to manufacturing, then they have to go back to the manufacturer that made the part/parts, they have to make new parts, test them, make adjustments, test them again, get final approval for all parts, THEN they can actually make the replacement parts. It takes time to make the parts, then to ship them to the plants, distribution ports, and the dealers who can then make the repairs.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI and 1987 Scirocco 16V
      07-19-2012 08:24 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by TornadrotGTI View Post
      Out of curiousity, is there anyone out there NOT having window issues? Has this been confirmed to be affecting 100% of Beetle owners?

We've been patient so far.. We've always driven VWs and owned a first gen Touareg and a W8 so we're used to shenanigans of all shapes and sizes
      I'd like to know this as well.

Vehicles
      2001 Baltic Jetta, 2014 Golf TDI
      07-19-2012 09:01 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by TornadrotGTI View Post

Local guy doesnt have the issue with his, but warned me about it before I got mine. So far everyone at work that I've talked to with one has had the problem.
      Meet Crayola | IG: @mindy13vw | 8v Society #1
      Previous cars: 2013 R-Line Beetle, 2012 TR GTI, 2013 TBM Jetta TDI, 2012 CW Beetle 2.0T, 2012 CW Jetta SE, 1989 Cabriolet

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 beetle 2.5
      07-20-2012 12:35 PM #43
      Mine started doing it, then I roll it up on the non auto mode, and rest the window buy holding it up for 2 see, then releasing it, and pulling it up once, like in the Manual. I noticed on hot days it does it every time, but on cooler days it seems to work fine, so either the window is binding inside or the pinch control thinks it is

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08 GTI , 12 Beetle Turbo, 12 Mini R60 ALL4 S
      07-20-2012 03:00 PM #44
      just to let u know the Extended warranty they sell are not from VW... it is from 3rd part company

Vehicles
      07-24-2012 03:46 PM #45
      I got my beetle in for service today, I was told its a gear in the window motor that is now on order. The tech said it was just released from VW and has to come from over seas so even with him doing over night delivery it will take at least a week I'll report back if it works!
      Previous cars: 2013 R-Line Beetle, 2012 TR GTI, 2013 TBM Jetta TDI, 2012 CW Beetle 2.0T, 2012 CW Jetta SE, 1989 Cabriolet

Vehicles
      2012 2.5L Beetle, 2006 2.5L New Beetle, 1998 New Beetle
      07-25-2012 08:16 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by DubGirl13 View Post
      I got my beetle in for service today, I was told its a gear in the window motor that is now on order. The tech said it was just released from VW and has to come from over seas so even with him doing over night delivery it will take at least a week I'll report back if it works!
      Is this the second gear/motor fix after the first (failed) gear/motor fix or just a 1st time replacement for those who have not had the repair in the first place?
      "Just look at those wheels!"

Vehicles
      07-25-2012 08:49 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by the beet View Post
      Is this the second gear/motor fix after the first (failed) gear/motor fix or just a 1st time replacement for those who have not had the repair in the first place?
      This is my first attempt at having the problem fixed

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      07-25-2012 09:37 AM #48
      Here is how I get mine to roll up.

1. Roll window up, pinch protection kicks in.
      2. Keep trying until auto-function is disabled.
      3. Rock the window switch up, off, up, off, up, off until it goes up fully.
      4. Sometimes pinch protection will kick in using that method, but it has always eventually gone up.
      5. Window reset procedure, done.

This process can take several minutes... Huge PITA when you are trying to get some where, or after having gone through a drive-thru and it is raining.

It isn't safe to drive and try to roll up my windows at the same time, so I have to park first.

I now only use my windows unless absolutely necessary.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-29-2012 10:28 AM #49
      .......in the event it doesn't solve my 'upzy downzy' problem, VW has said they will
      reimburse me for this.......See Ebay Item # 120847062675.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-30-2012 09:24 PM #50
      It was an all day process due to a backlog of cars the dealer took in over the weekend
      but at day's end my new guide gears were installed for both windows. Windows are now
      working correctly and even smoother in both directions than before. Still, will have to
      give it more time to be sure there are no more 'upzy - downzy's' . The guide gears are
      listed as part number 5C0-957-821 and were listed on VW Tech Note 2028594/2 according
      to information listed by Plex 3 some time back.

16. 07-31-2012 02:39 AM #51
      Let's hope, getting old. I called a dealership today in another state to be curious on what they are doing. The service manager said that with use of the windows, they will loosen up and eventually be ok. They are just to tight from the factory, they need to break in better.

Mmmm.

17. 07-31-2012 02:45 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by ridgemanron View Post
      It was an all day process due to a backlog of cars the dealer took in over the weekend
      but at day's end my new guide gears were installed for both windows. Windows are now
      working correctly and even smoother in both directions than before. Still, will have to
      give it more time to be sure there are no more 'upzy - downzy's' . The guide gears are
      listed as part number 5C0-957-821 and were listed on VW Tech Note 2028594/2 according
      How are they now.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      07-31-2012 06:21 AM #53
      If that was the case they would have it figured out by now. Dealerships are useless when it comes to this kind if info, they ate just giving you an excuse.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
      DrTechy is now an Authorized E-Tuners Dealer (Check out DrT Tuning on Facebook or email mario@drtechy.com for details/questions)

2012 Turbo Beetle.... My thread

19. 07-31-2012 07:36 AM #54
      Not to rain on your parade, but my windows worked for about a week and a half after the "fix". Now they are back to "normal" (i.e. Not Functioning Properly).

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 09:28 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Babie View Post
      How are they now.
      Too early to tell for sure but with the replaced guide gears........which took numerous
      hours to complete.....even the sound of the windows going up and down is different
      than before. Hard to explain but they, for the first time, sound more like normal running
      windows. Also, I notice less sensitivity when pressing the switch for both 'up' and 'down'
      movement to engage the auto-mode. The switches now need a bit of a firmer pressing.
      Will see how it all goes over the ensuing weeks but for now it is fine. If the problem
      returns, 'Plex' stated that they will then replace the motors but some 'Vortex' members
      have stated that even with this change their problems remained. The part numbers for
      the window motors are 5C5-959-801-D-Z01 and 5C5-959-802-F-Z01.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 09:36 AM #56
      When I first reported my windows 'occasionally' doing the 'upzy-downzy', VW informed me
      of their 'three step' procedure:
      1. Lube the inner mechanisms.............which didn't correct the problem.
      2. Install new guide gears...........just completed this and will see how it goes.
      3. Install new window motors if problem remains after first two 'steps'.

4. If problem still remains, scratch head and tell customer, 'we'll get back to you on this'.

22. 07-31-2012 12:21 PM #57
      Too early to tell for sure but with the replaced guide gears........which took numerous
      hours to complete.....even the sound of the windows going up and down is different
      than before. Hard to explain but they, for the first time, sound more like normal running
      windows. Also, I notice less sensitivity when pressing the switch for both 'up' and 'down'
      movement to engage the auto-mode. The switches now need a bit of a firmer pressing.
      Will see how it all goes over the ensuing weeks but for now it is fine. If the problem
      returns, 'Plex' stated that they will then replace the motors but some 'Vortex' members
      have stated that even with this change their problems remained. The part numbers for
      the window motors are 5C5-959-801-D-Z01 and 5C5-959-802-F-Z01.
      is this a permeant fix do you think.

23. 07-31-2012 12:39 PM #58
      Just told this Tech Note was cancelled by VW as a fix. anyone comment on this.

Vehicles
      '12 Reef Blue Turbo Beetle; '08 Honda Element
      07-31-2012 02:25 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Babie View Post
      Just told this Tech Note was cancelled by VW as a fix. anyone comment on this.
      It is not a fix. Mine are back to the old ways. They worked well for about 2-3 weeks and then back to the up/down thing.

The part numbers I had listed that ridgeman was referring to were the parts per the original TSB.

They have since found that it did not fix the problem and have cancelled that TSB.

Like many of us, we're waiting on a solution to a problem VW is said to be working hard on getting corrected.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi A3 1.8T
      07-31-2012 03:54 PM #60
      When I first reported my windows 'occasionally' doing the 'upzy-downzy', VW informed me
      of their 'three step' procedure:
      1. Lube the inner mechanisms.............which didn't correct the problem.
      2. Install new guide gears...........just completed this and will see how it goes.
      3. Install new window motors if problem remains after first two 'steps'.

4. If problem still remains, scratch head and tell customer, 'we'll get back to you on this'.
      Sounds exactly like my ordeal.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      07-31-2012 04:16 PM #61
      Lol dealer's don't know squat, which is why my dealer said they aren't touching them until corporate comes up with a fix.

Mine got worse with time...
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 04:49 PM #62
      Did the 'dance' two more times in succession today after the gears were replaced.
      This time the first 'dance' was the usual '1/2 up, then down', but the next dance,
      moments later, went '1/2 up, but only 1/4' down'. Held the switch all the way
      through an'up cycle' and now the driver's window is functioning properly again.
      Dealer is going to get back to me about the motors, which I told him are different
      part #'s for each window. One is listed at $100 higher in price and must be the one
      for the driver's 'master control' side. Am wondering if a poorly insulated grade of wires
      could be part of the problem and if a better grade of 'heavily' insulated ones would help?
      My service dept man is scratching his head.....so at least he's doing something.

28. 07-31-2012 04:53 PM #63
      Went to the car wash today and while the windows are wet they go up and down more often without a problem.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 04:53 PM #64
      Plex ! Are you having the 'upzy downzy' with both or only the driver's side? To be honest,
      my passenger side hasn't ever acted up but if a fix was available I figured it would be
      best to do both sides at the same time.

30. 07-31-2012 04:55 PM #65
      Does anyone know if any off the line recently have the window issue. If new ones off the line are OK, then something is fishy - a production change is critical in saving warranty dollars for VW.

My was built in April and has the window issue. What about yours.

31. 07-31-2012 05:01 PM #66
      Plex ! Are you having the 'upzy downzy' with both or only the driver's side? To be honest,
      my passenger side hasn't ever acted up but if a fix was available I figured it would be
      best to do both sides at the same time.
      Mine was just the passenger for a few days of ownership, then out of the blue, the drivers starting doing it.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      07-31-2012 05:12 PM #67
      May, still has the issue

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
      DrTechy is now an Authorized E-Tuners Dealer (Check out DrT Tuning on Facebook or email mario@drtechy.com for details/questions)

2012 Turbo Beetle.... My thread

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 06:14 PM #68
      Read something that may or may not involve our Beetles. A similar problem in another
      brand of car was found to do with something called a faulty micro switch in the door
      latch mechanism and when it was replaced, the windows worked properly from then on.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI, MkV R, The Beetle
      07-31-2012 06:19 PM #69
      mines fine so far knock on wood

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Turbo Beetle
      07-31-2012 06:28 PM #70
      Here's another vote for April, with the issue.

GTarr

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast