Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL Beetle window issue thread

1. 07-31-2012 02:39 AM #51
      Let's hope, getting old. I called a dealership today in another state to be curious on what they are doing. The service manager said that with use of the windows, they will loosen up and eventually be ok. They are just to tight from the factory, they need to break in better.

Mmmm.

2. 07-31-2012 02:45 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by ridgemanron View Post
      It was an all day process due to a backlog of cars the dealer took in over the weekend
      but at day's end my new guide gears were installed for both windows. Windows are now
      working correctly and even smoother in both directions than before. Still, will have to
      give it more time to be sure there are no more 'upzy - downzy's' . The guide gears are
      listed as part number 5C0-957-821 and were listed on VW Tech Note 2028594/2 according
      to information listed by Plex 3 some time back.
      How are they now.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Frankenturbo Beetle
      07-31-2012 06:21 AM #53
      If that was the case they would have it figured out by now. Dealerships are useless when it comes to this kind if info, they ate just giving you an excuse.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
      DrTechy is now an Authorized E-Tuners Dealer (Check out Machtig Industries on Facebook or email mario@drtechy.com for details/questions)
      2012 FrankenBeetle.... My thread

4. 07-31-2012 07:36 AM #54
      Not to rain on your parade, but my windows worked for about a week and a half after the "fix". Now they are back to "normal" (i.e. Not Functioning Properly).

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 09:28 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Babie View Post
      How are they now.
      Too early to tell for sure but with the replaced guide gears........which took numerous
      hours to complete.....even the sound of the windows going up and down is different
      than before. Hard to explain but they, for the first time, sound more like normal running
      windows. Also, I notice less sensitivity when pressing the switch for both 'up' and 'down'
      movement to engage the auto-mode. The switches now need a bit of a firmer pressing.
      Will see how it all goes over the ensuing weeks but for now it is fine. If the problem
      returns, 'Plex' stated that they will then replace the motors but some 'Vortex' members
      have stated that even with this change their problems remained. The part numbers for
      the window motors are 5C5-959-801-D-Z01 and 5C5-959-802-F-Z01.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 09:36 AM #56
      When I first reported my windows 'occasionally' doing the 'upzy-downzy', VW informed me
      of their 'three step' procedure:
      1. Lube the inner mechanisms.............which didn't correct the problem.
      2. Install new guide gears...........just completed this and will see how it goes.
      3. Install new window motors if problem remains after first two 'steps'.

4. If problem still remains, scratch head and tell customer, 'we'll get back to you on this'.

7. 07-31-2012 12:21 PM #57
      Too early to tell for sure but with the replaced guide gears........which took numerous
      hours to complete.....even the sound of the windows going up and down is different
      than before. Hard to explain but they, for the first time, sound more like normal running
      windows. Also, I notice less sensitivity when pressing the switch for both 'up' and 'down'
      movement to engage the auto-mode. The switches now need a bit of a firmer pressing.
      Will see how it all goes over the ensuing weeks but for now it is fine. If the problem
      returns, 'Plex' stated that they will then replace the motors but some 'Vortex' members
      have stated that even with this change their problems remained. The part numbers for
      the window motors are 5C5-959-801-D-Z01 and 5C5-959-802-F-Z01.
      is this a permeant fix do you think.

8. 07-31-2012 12:39 PM #58
      It was an all day process due to a backlog of cars the dealer took in over the weekend
      but at day's end my new guide gears were installed for both windows. Windows are now
      working correctly and even smoother in both directions than before. Still, will have to
      give it more time to be sure there are no more 'upzy - downzy's' . The guide gears are
      listed as part number 5C0-957-821 and were listed on VW Tech Note 2028594/2 according
      to information listed by Plex 3 some time back.
      Just told this Tech Note was cancelled by VW as a fix. anyone comment on this.

Vehicles
      '12 Reef Blue Turbo Beetle; '08 Honda Element
      07-31-2012 02:25 PM #59
      Just told this Tech Note was cancelled by VW as a fix. anyone comment on this.
      It is not a fix. Mine are back to the old ways. They worked well for about 2-3 weeks and then back to the up/down thing.

The part numbers I had listed that ridgeman was referring to were the parts per the original TSB.

They have since found that it did not fix the problem and have cancelled that TSB.

Like many of us, we're waiting on a solution to a problem VW is said to be working hard on getting corrected.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi A3 1.8T
      07-31-2012 03:54 PM #60
      When I first reported my windows 'occasionally' doing the 'upzy-downzy', VW informed me
      of their 'three step' procedure:
      1. Lube the inner mechanisms.............which didn't correct the problem.
      2. Install new guide gears...........just completed this and will see how it goes.
      3. Install new window motors if problem remains after first two 'steps'.

4. If problem still remains, scratch head and tell customer, 'we'll get back to you on this'.
      Sounds exactly like my ordeal.

Vehicles
      ATS w/ Gage and Stitching Pack | BMW F650GS | Moto Guzzi V7
      07-31-2012 04:16 PM #61
      Lol dealer's don't know squat, which is why my dealer said they aren't touching them until corporate comes up with a fix.

Mine got worse with time...
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 04:49 PM #62
      Did the 'dance' two more times in succession today after the gears were replaced.
      This time the first 'dance' was the usual '1/2 up, then down', but the next dance,
      moments later, went '1/2 up, but only 1/4' down'. Held the switch all the way
      through an'up cycle' and now the driver's window is functioning properly again.
      Dealer is going to get back to me about the motors, which I told him are different
      part #'s for each window. One is listed at $100 higher in price and must be the one
      for the driver's 'master control' side. Am wondering if a poorly insulated grade of wires
      could be part of the problem and if a better grade of 'heavily' insulated ones would help?
      My service dept man is scratching his head.....so at least he's doing something.

13. 07-31-2012 04:53 PM #63
      Went to the car wash today and while the windows are wet they go up and down more often without a problem.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 04:53 PM #64
      Plex ! Are you having the 'upzy downzy' with both or only the driver's side? To be honest,
      my passenger side hasn't ever acted up but if a fix was available I figured it would be
      best to do both sides at the same time.

15. 07-31-2012 04:55 PM #65
      Does anyone know if any off the line recently have the window issue. If new ones off the line are OK, then something is fishy - a production change is critical in saving warranty dollars for VW.

My was built in April and has the window issue. What about yours.

16. 07-31-2012 05:01 PM #66
      Plex ! Are you having the 'upzy downzy' with both or only the driver's side? To be honest,
      my passenger side hasn't ever acted up but if a fix was available I figured it would be
      best to do both sides at the same time.
      Mine was just the passenger for a few days of ownership, then out of the blue, the drivers starting doing it.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Frankenturbo Beetle
      07-31-2012 05:12 PM #67
      May, still has the issue

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
      DrTechy is now an Authorized E-Tuners Dealer (Check out Machtig Industries on Facebook or email mario@drtechy.com for details/questions)
      2012 FrankenBeetle.... My thread

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 06:14 PM #68
      Read something that may or may not involve our Beetles. A similar problem in another
      brand of car was found to do with something called a faulty micro switch in the door
      latch mechanism and when it was replaced, the windows worked properly from then on.

Vehicles
      eGolf, 997TT, SQ5, Beetle
      07-31-2012 06:19 PM #69
      mines fine so far knock on wood

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Turbo Beetle
      07-31-2012 06:28 PM #70
      Here's another vote for April, with the issue.

GTarr

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 beetle 2.5
      07-31-2012 06:40 PM #71
      My passenger side seems to work fine, it's my drivers side that is acting up, I would put donuts to dollars that it is a stupid fix, like a 3 dollar washer or something, most of the time it is

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo /2011 Boxster Spyder
      07-31-2012 07:33 PM #72
      Mine was built in May and I do have the drivers window issue.
      2012 Beetle Turbo/Platinum Grey Metallic
      Gloss Black Racing Stripes/Turbo Side Stripe
      Sunroof/Premium Fender Sound System
      Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake Stage II
      APR Stage 1 ECU Tune/Rear Deck APR badging

23. 07-31-2012 10:48 PM #73
      I was told today that the problem were a bunch of bad window motors and they are waiting to release the official TSB until they have sufficient new window motors at dealer sites.

I can buy that.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 11:08 PM #74
      I was told today that the problem were a bunch of bad window motors and they are waiting to release the official TSB until they have sufficient new window motors at dealer sites.

I can buy that.
      Since I am waiting on the motors as of today, here's hoping that they are the cause of all our
      grief. I did notice that if I hold the 'up' motion switch until the driver's window travels
      1/2 way up, and then release it, the window will complete the run upward with no problem.
      As far as the passenger side, it doesn't ever seem to malfunction and I need only quickly
      touch the 'up' (auto mode activator) switch for it to run all the way up. This will have to
      do until the complete fix is available. Going 'down' has never been a problem.
      Last edited by ridgemanron; 07-31-2012 at 11:10 PM.

25. 07-31-2012 11:56 PM #75
      Since I am waiting on the motors as of today, here's hoping that they are the cause of all our
      grief. I did notice that if I hold the 'up' motion switch until the driver's window travels
      1/2 way up, and then release it, the window will complete the run upward with no problem.
      As far as the passenger side, it doesn't ever seem to malfunction and I need only quickly
      touch the 'up' (auto mode activator) switch for it to run all the way up. This will have to
      do until the complete fix is available. Going 'down' has never been a problem.
      Ridge, makes sense, the dealer said he tried to order the motors under the old number, and now have new numbers. He said all his window motors for the old number were kicked out?
      Anyway, we may be at the end with the problems, let's hope,

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast