Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL Beetle window issue thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 beetle 2.5
      07-31-2012 06:40 PM #71
      My passenger side seems to work fine, it's my drivers side that is acting up, I would put donuts to dollars that it is a stupid fix, like a 3 dollar washer or something, most of the time it is

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo /2011 Boxster Spyder
      07-31-2012 07:33 PM #72
      Mine was built in May and I do have the drivers window issue.
      2012 Beetle Turbo/Platinum Grey Metallic
      Gloss Black Racing Stripes/Turbo Side Stripe
      Sunroof/Premium Fender Sound System
      Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake Stage II
      APR Stage 1 ECU Tune/Rear Deck APR badging

3. 07-31-2012 10:48 PM #73
      I was told today that the problem were a bunch of bad window motors and they are waiting to release the official TSB until they have sufficient new window motors at dealer sites.

I can buy that.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-31-2012 11:08 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Babie View Post
      I was told today that the problem were a bunch of bad window motors and they are waiting to release the official TSB until they have sufficient new window motors at dealer sites.

I can buy that.
      Since I am waiting on the motors as of today, here's hoping that they are the cause of all our
      grief. I did notice that if I hold the 'up' motion switch until the driver's window travels
      1/2 way up, and then release it, the window will complete the run upward with no problem.
      As far as the passenger side, it doesn't ever seem to malfunction and I need only quickly
      touch the 'up' (auto mode activator) switch for it to run all the way up. This will have to
      do until the complete fix is available. Going 'down' has never been a problem.
      Last edited by ridgemanron; 07-31-2012 at 11:10 PM.

5. 07-31-2012 11:56 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by ridgemanron View Post
      Since I am waiting on the motors as of today, here's hoping that they are the cause of all our
      grief. I did notice that if I hold the 'up' motion switch until the driver's window travels
      1/2 way up, and then release it, the window will complete the run upward with no problem.
      As far as the passenger side, it doesn't ever seem to malfunction and I need only quickly
      touch the 'up' (auto mode activator) switch for it to run all the way up. This will have to
      do until the complete fix is available. Going 'down' has never been a problem.
      Ridge, makes sense, the dealer said he tried to order the motors under the old number, and now have new numbers. He said all his window motors for the old number were kicked out?
      Anyway, we may be at the end with the problems, let's hope,

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-01-2012 01:57 AM #76
      Ridge, makes sense, the dealer said he tried to order the motors under the old number, and now have new numbers. He said all his window motors for the old number were kicked out?
      Perhaps VW has found a better motor manufacturer than was the case previously.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-01-2012 08:48 AM #77
      If anyone finds out the new part numbers for the window motors that Babie mentioned,
      please post them.

Vehicles
      '12 Reef Blue Turbo Beetle; '08 Honda Element
      08-01-2012 09:02 AM #78
      Plex ! Are you having the 'upzy downzy' with both or only the driver's side? To be honest,
      my passenger side hasn't ever acted up but if a fix was available I figured it would be
      best to do both sides at the same time.
      Mine are now doing it on both sides. (after window motor replacement)

The drivers side is every time now. It'll go down no problem but up it stops and goes down at either 1/3 or 2/3 no matter what.

Passenger side right now is only about 50% of the time.

It sucks but it's not unbearable. Just hope a fix truly is coming.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-01-2012 04:36 PM #79
      My service mgr said the window motor part numbers are still active in the VW system.
      The part numbers are 5C5-959-801-D-Z01 and 5C5-959-802-F-Z01

10. 08-01-2012 05:24 PM #80
      My service mgr said the window motor part numbers are still active in the VW system.
      The part numbers are 5C5-959-801-D-Z01 and 5C5-959-802-F-Z01
      My dealer today said he can't order any window motors in the system. He said they are trying to produce more, so maybe this is the caca culprit. I hope so.

Anyone know

11. 08-01-2012 05:26 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by plex03 View Post
      Mine are now doing it on both sides. (after window motor replacement)

The drivers side is every time now. It'll go down no problem but up it stops and goes down at either 1/3 or 2/3 no matter what.

Passenger side right now is only about 50% of the time.

It sucks but it's not unbearable. Just hope a fix truly is coming.

Uggggg...were they the Mexican motors or the German ones, ask your dealer cuz I did find out that the German ones were the better ones.

I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY CAN PIN POINT THIS PROBLEM. REALLY IS THIS A MONEY ISSUE

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-01-2012 05:29 PM #82
      My dealer today said he can't order any window motors in the system. He said they are trying to produce more, so maybe this is the caca culprit. I hope so.

Anyone know
      When I 'Googled' the window motor numbers I did find VW dealers who had them in stock,
      but I feel if they are the same ones everyone is having problems with, there doesn't seem to
      be any logic in trying to have them installed. Let's hope VW gives us some info as to where
      they stand concerning our needed 'fix'. Will check with my service mgr every day or so to see
      if he has found out anything.

13. 08-01-2012 05:30 PM #83
      we need some of you to check your local lots and ask to test the windows on the 2013 please and post your findings to this thread.

THANKS

14. 08-01-2012 05:50 PM #84
      When I 'Googled' the window motor numbers I did find VW dealers who had them in stock,
      but I feel if they are the same ones everyone is having problems with, there doesn't seem to
      be any logic in trying to have them installed. Let's hope VW gives us some info as to where
      they stand concerning our needed 'fix'. Will check with my service mgr every day or so to see
      if he has found out anything.
      I just called my dealer and they will say made in Germany on the motor. stay away from Mexican motors. Mmmm sounds like a south of the border car company.
      Last edited by Babie; 08-01-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI, MkV R, The Beetle
      08-01-2012 06:17 PM #85
      Uggggg...were they the Mexican motors or the German ones, ask your dealer cuz I did find out that the German ones were the better ones.

I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY CAN PIN POINT THIS PROBLEM. REALLY IS THIS A MONEY ISSUE

Not a money issue, a trial and error solution. Same thing we saw with the massive DSG recall, took a while to sort out what had failed and what production run.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 2012 Beetle, 1984 GTI, 1996 Buick Roadmonster
      08-01-2012 08:11 PM #86
      Babie, you are strange. Likable, but odd.

17. 08-01-2012 08:13 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by sethdude View Post
      Babie, you are strange. Likable, but odd.
      Thanks, my boyfriend says that to. But I do get all A's in college.

18. 08-02-2012 07:12 AM #88
      Thanks, my boyfriend says that to. But I do get all A's in college.
      You know that's not good, right???

Einstein failed 8th grade math and Ferdinand Porsche - creator of the old Bug, Technical Director at Mercedes-Benz, and designer of many Third Reich armed vehicles - never officially went to college.

And me.... I'm a genius in my own mind. My genius-ness tells me VW NEVER fixes anything quickly, particularly windows. Actually, they often move at glacial speed when it comes to window regulators.

Or... it could be the JaegerMeister talking.... typing.

Last edited by Cadenza_7o; 08-02-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Vehicles
      2003 New Beetle Turbo S; 2013 Reef Blue Beetle Turbo w/ s/s/n
      08-02-2012 07:18 AM #89
      I just picked up my 2013 Turbo Beetle last night. So far the windows are fine but I have had it for less than 12 hours. Haha

I'll keep you posted how mine does.

~Matthew

20. 08-02-2012 07:50 AM #90
      It's always a money issue. More money for them and less for us.

It's just accounting...

Vw (credit)

Vw Owners (debit)

Vehicles
      2006 GLI and 1987 Scirocco 16V
      08-02-2012 08:26 AM #91
      Hi all -
      By now we've established there is an issue with 2012 Beetle windows. Here's what we know so far:
      - Windows lower with no problem
      - When using the 'auto-up' feature, the window only raises part of the way, then lowers quickly
      - It appears pinch protection is kicking in
      - It then takes a number of 'ups' and 'downs' to get the window to finally close resulting in the 'auto-up' feature to then be disabled
      - A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) was issued to dealers with instructions to replace the gear guides and motors
      - The TSB repair did not cure the problem and was recalled
      - VW IS WORKING ON A REPAIR though no updates other than dealer rumors have been given on what the repair is and when owners can expect the repair
      - It is not yet known if the 2013 Beetles just arriving at dealerships have this problem

With all the above in mind, this is now the OFFICIAL Window Thread for the Beetle.

If you have an issue with your window, or an update, or a suggestion, post it here. The best way to stay informed is if we have all the information in one place rather than scattered around miscellaneous posts on this forum.

This post is stickied, and I will update this first post as new information is disclosed.

Also, I will be condensing posts into this sticky over the next few days.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI and 1987 Scirocco 16V
      08-02-2012 08:34 AM #92
      On a more personal note, I struggled with creating this post. I'm a pretty firm believer in letting you all talk this out, but I feel it's gotten to the point that we need to have all the information in one place. It's difficult to find out any real information when there are posts all over.

I also want to tell everyone here that is having a problem, I really feel for you. I think there's nothing worse than buying an expensive product and not have it live up to your expectations. I don't mean to stifle or restrict your ability to vent here with other owners, so I hope you understand that. It truly is one topic so I feel that we should keep one thread to this one topic.

As a fairly new moderator, I'm sorting through my responsibilities here. I read almost every post, and you are all a great bunch of people. Your positive attitudes and mature postings make my 'job' easy. So thank you! This allows me to keep a pretty 'hands-off' approach to this area of Vortex. I believe we can keep it this way for awhile.

I hope this helps all of you struggling with this annoying issue understand the need to make this change. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want something added. I'm completely open to feedback!

- Chris

23. 08-02-2012 09:04 AM #93
      OK cool thanks

PS my brother is checking on some 13" today, He is in college on the east coast. The are some 13's there. He will let me know later today. I sent him a video of mine to compare.

Vehicles
      2001 Baltic Jetta, 2013 R-Line Beetle
      08-02-2012 09:15 AM #94
      Glad to see it all centralized

A little update on mine: First thing I have to say is my dealer rep is absolutely AMAZING! I had it scheduled to have the part replaced yesterday, so I dropped it off after work Tuesday around 3:30pm. I get all call at 5pm from my tech saying that he had some extra time and already took care of it
      I wasnt able to pick it up until yesterday, because thats what I arranged with my ride. Got home from work, go to roll my window up and it goes right back down. I called my tech, left him a message to give me a call back whenever. I wasnt in a huge hurry since I knew going into this it was a known issue and probably wouldnt be fixed. He gave me a call back right away saying he forwarded my issue to VWoA and as soon as he got a response he would call me back again. 10 minutes goes by and he is calling me again to let me know it has been escalted through VWoA, and they are looking into the issue. Funny thing is as of this morning it seems to be working fine, going to have to see how long that lasts

Although imo this should be a standard for service, we all know it isnt. Being an employee of Volkswagen I know that when it comes to the dealers we seem to be at the bottom of the totem pole, but its clear that, at least with this tech, he puts any issue at the top of his priority list
      VOTE HERE to add a seller feedback section to the classifieds

Meet Crayola | IG: @mindy13vw | 8v Society #1
      Previous cars: 2012 TR GTI, 2013 TBM Jetta TDI, 2012 CW Beetle 2.0T, 2012 CW Jetta SE, 1989 Cabriolet

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-02-2012 10:22 AM #95
      In a nutshell, the pinch-protector, when activated, is overly sensitive and its inner
      brain mistakenly thinks that an obstruction has been placed in the path of the upward
      going glass, when in fact no obstruction seems to be there. If there were to be an actual
      obstruction in the inner window/door cavity, the problem should occur all the time, not
      just part of the time. Perhaps there is a faulty micro-processor of some kind that was
      accidently built in to the motors by the supplier of them and if so, VW should go over
      every conceivable electronic related possibility for the problem and fix it. We are not
      talking brain surgery here, but something a team of VW engineers should have been
      able to correct months ago.

26. 08-02-2012 11:30 AM #96
      I know someone who checked some on a lot, all he said ALL worked great and he said smooth and quiet.

So here, since I am holding the bag, I'll pass it on. As my grandma would say.

He was there looking at a GTI anyway.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi A3 1.8T
      08-02-2012 11:36 AM #97
      I know someone who checked some on a lot, all he said ALL worked great and he said smooth and quiet.

So here, since I am holding the bag, I'll pass it on. As my grandma would say.

He was there looking at a GTI anyway.
      Well, mine didn't act up right away either. It was not until about 1 month or 2 later when I started seeing the issue.

28. 08-02-2012 12:20 PM #98
      It ain't over till the fat Beetle sings!!!

29. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle in Toffee Brown
      08-02-2012 05:20 PM #99
      I still don't understand why they don't disable the auto up feature. No need for pinch protection if you have to manually hold the button to make the window go up. God forbid we have to engage our fingers for 30 whole seconds.

30. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle in Toffee Brown
      08-02-2012 05:20 PM #100
      Mine went 4 months before all hell broke loose.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-02-2012 05:36 PM #101
      Left the car at VW Service with the driver's window now not even working properly in
      manual mode, much less auto 'pinch protector' mode. They've ordered me a new
      'modular motor' and it should be installed within a day or so. Am hoping this motor is
      from a batch of the latest ones made, for it is widely known that original ones are
      not working properly when installed. If this doesn't correct the problem I will have my
      mechanic check the switch itself for proper power distribution when activated. Don't know
      why VW hasn't mentioned anything about the switch, only dealing with guide gears and
      motors?

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-02-2012 05:49 PM #102
      If anyone can check this 2013 Turbo Beetle's Vin # 3VWV67AT2DM603036 and find out
      if the following (2012 Beetles) window motors are the same...or a new number which would
      give us hope that VW has addressed the window motor fiasco, it would be appreciated.

# 5C5-959-801-D-Z01
      # 5C5-959-802-F-Z01

Vehicles
      2001 Baltic Jetta, 2013 R-Line Beetle
      08-02-2012 06:13 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by katie78 View Post
      I still don't understand why they don't disable the auto up feature. No need for pinch protection if you have to manually hold the button to make the window go up. God forbid we have to engage our fingers for 30 whole seconds.
      I dont know about yours, but when I have been able to disable the auto up it then doesnt close after I shut the door, which living in Oregon is not a good thing.
      VOTE HERE to add a seller feedback section to the classifieds

Meet Crayola | IG: @mindy13vw | 8v Society #1
      Previous cars: 2012 TR GTI, 2013 TBM Jetta TDI, 2012 CW Beetle 2.0T, 2012 CW Jetta SE, 1989 Cabriolet

34. 08-02-2012 08:12 PM #104
      If anyone can check this 2013 Turbo Beetle's Vin # 3VWV67AT2DM603036 and find out
      if the following (2012 Beetles) window motors are the same...or a new number which would
      give us hope that VW has addressed the window motor fiasco, it would be appreciated.

# 5C5-959-801-D-Z01
      # 5C5-959-802-F-Z01
      Ridge, get the vin of a 2013, go to the parts counter and ask for a new window motor. It has all changed what I was told. Whole new monkey.

PS go to a dealership that don't know you or just call one.

35. 08-02-2012 08:13 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by katie78 View Post
      Mine went 4 months before all hell broke loose.
      Betcha it had the "frijole motor" that get frihole'd

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast