VWVortex

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL Beetle window issue thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-02-2012 09:46 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Babie View Post
      Ridge, get the vin of a 2013, go to the parts counter and ask for a new window motor. It has all changed what I was told. Whole new monkey.

PS go to a dealership that don't know you or just call one.
      I'm going to check it out with my parts dept guy at VW tomorrow.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-03-2012 10:57 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by ridgemanron View Post
      I'm going to check it out with my parts dept guy at VW tomorrow.
      Was able to find out that the part numbers for both window motors remains the same. Also
      found out by email from the central VW Parts Dept, which connects you to dealers in your area,
      that with regard to stock in the warehouses, they have plenty of Right Hand motors but the
      Left Side motors have hundreds of back orders.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      08-03-2012 10:59 AM #108
      Yup 2013's do not have the new motors.

AFAIK there is not a fix yet.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      08-03-2012 11:01 AM #109
      There is not a fix yet... so all 2013's at this time might have faulty windows.
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI and 1987 Scirocco 16V
      08-03-2012 12:18 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Yup 2013's do not have the new motors.

AFAIK there is not a fix yet.
      As far as I know it hasn't been confirmed that the motors are the problems. They may be part of the problem, or not related at all. To me, the issue could be:
      - The motor
      - The window seals
      - The 'gear guides'
      - The gears themselves
      - Overly aggressive pinch protection
      - Improperly calibrated micro switch

Vehicles
      08-03-2012 12:20 PM #111
      8/3 12pm EST: Updated the first post in this thread with the latest information.

Thanks to all the parts sleuths out there! I'm looking at you Ridgemanron!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-03-2012 12:40 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      8/3 12pm EST: Updated the first post in this thread with the latest information.

Thanks to all the parts sleuths out there! I'm looking at you Ridgemanron!
      I was told by my service mgr that the window motors for the driver's side were pulled from
      inventory to be recalibrated/repaired and then sent back into stock. Was told that the driver's
      motor they ordered for me is in fact enroute to the dealership and it may be installed
      tomorrow or Monday at the latest. This could result in just a band aid for the problem, until
      VW can ramp up new motor production, but I'm hoping it will at least buy me some time
      before the really new ones are ready. It would be insane for them to come out with the 2013
      Beetles and not have the really new motors in them........but I won't put anything past them
      after seeing the sun-roof fiasco from months past into last year.
      Last edited by ridgemanron; 08-03-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo /2011 Boxster Spyder
      08-03-2012 02:26 PM #113
      Spoke with a Volkswagen Regional Case Manager today and she confirmed that they are close to a fix for the window issue. She said Volkswagen is working hard to correct the problem but,when pressed, she would not commit to a time frame. She said she would call me back today but I told her if all she could tell me is that they are " working on it " not to bother calling me back because hearing that just aggravates me more. She was not happy with my comments but did say she would call me back when she had something definite to say.
      2012 Beetle Turbo/Platinum Grey Metallic
      Gloss Black Racing Stripes/Turbo Side Stripe
      Sunroof/Premium Fender Sound System
      Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake Stage II
      APR Stage 1 ECU Tune/Rear Deck APR badging

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-03-2012 02:36 PM #114
      I would think that if they can recalibrate/repair already made units, that would be the
      way for them to go from a cost perspective. I don't have a problem with a remanufactured
      part where any defective portions were replaced with properly performing ones.

10. 08-03-2012 04:13 PM #115
      I just got my Beetle two weeks ago and it started right off with the window thing. I brought it back to the dealer just to get it on record that there was an issue.
      The service writer showed me the bulletin from VW about the windows. It said that cars below a certain earlier VIN required a different kind of fix from units produced after that point. It said there had been a production change that eliminated the earlier problem, which from looking at forums seemed a lot more severe. I don't think it's a complete fix, but it seems to have taken care of the more severe issues.
      The bulletin suggested the resetting option as the best answer. Service writers were also advised to tell customers with the problem that it was a top priority for VW and all efforts were being put into finding a permanent fix. I asked her if it was a firmware issue or mechanical, and she said they were leaning toward a mechanical issue.

11. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-03-2012 06:05 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by cbugrun View Post
      Spoke with a Volkswagen Regional Case Manager today and she confirmed that they are close to a fix for the window issue. She said Volkswagen is working hard to correct the problem but,when pressed, she would not commit to a time frame. She said she would call me back today but I told her if all she could tell me is that they are " working on it " not to bother calling me back because hearing that just aggravates me more. She was not happy with my comments but did say she would call me back when she had something definite to say.
      Mine won't even call me back, so that's something. When I opened my case I heard "That is certainly not our intention" for every issue I raised.

Our dealer says they got out of a meeting Wednesday with "engineering" (?) and there was a confirmed fix. VWoA says no. When I asked the dealer if I could get on a wait list for parts (I have to badge in at work and cannot stand fighting with the window) he said sure, I'll write your name down and put it on the bulletin board. I'm sure that'll work well for me.

12. 08-03-2012 11:32 PM #117
      well, i've been talking with local dealer and VW Customer Care about my window issues purchasing my B12 in May.

Experienced the binding (and backing down) issues not long after buying my beetle. Latest issue: driver and passenger door windows often won't close that last little bit (1/4 to 3/8 inch) when closing/locking the car.

Service advisor and regional tech rep tell me there's still no fix, and they recommended I call VW Customer Care...their offer is a $250 gift card, then sit in the corner & color. When a no-kidding fix is in place, VW Customer Care or dealer will call me.

I've made two visits to the dealer to document/fix the issue(s). If not fixed after the third visit, guess I'll just need to provide my written notification to VW to start a lemon law claim.

Vehicles
      08-04-2012 08:05 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by WarrenfromYorktown View Post
      well, i've been talking with local dealer and VW Customer Care about my window issues purchasing my B12 in May.

Experienced the binding (and backing down) issues not long after buying my beetle. Latest issue: driver and passenger door windows often won't close that last little bit (1/4 to 3/8 inch) when closing/locking the car.

Service advisor and regional tech rep tell me there's still no fix, and they recommended I call VW Customer Care...their offer is a $250 gift card, then sit in the corner & color. When a no-kidding fix is in place, VW Customer Care or dealer will call me.

I've made two visits to the dealer to document/fix the issue(s). If not fixed after the third visit, guess I'll just need to provide my written notification to VW to start a lemon law claim.

Who offered you the $250 gift card? Volkswagen Customer Care is making my first two car payments which is significantly more than $250. They have done this for other customers as well.

14. 08-05-2012 05:52 PM #119
      My drivers window seems to be getting worse. Today it took me more attempts to close it than ever before, (up-down-up-up-down-and so on) and even then, the final 1/2" wont go up even when the door closes.

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 08:55 AM #120
      Has anyone been able to determine if the 2013 Beetle has the same window issues? I mighty stop by my dealer today to see if they have any 2013's in stock so I can try the windows.

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 11:06 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by cbugrun View Post
      Has anyone been able to determine if the 2013 Beetle has the same window issues? I mighty stop by my dealer today to see if they have any 2013's in stock so I can try the windows.
      Member "Babie" had someone visit a dealer and test a 2013 and there was no issue. However most people here had the problem pop up after a few weeks or months. Only a few (from what I've seen) had the issue appear on a test drive or when they took delivery.

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 11:09 AM #122
      Uh-oh. Edmund's Inside Line long term Turbo Beetle has the issue now too:

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...rotection.html

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle, 2010 GTI, 2004 s2000
      08-06-2012 01:10 PM #123
      I just contacted VWoA about the issues that we are having with the windows being the main issue. The person I was speaking to told me there was no fix for the windows but that VW is working diligently on a fix. So I said, what am I supposed to do in the mean time will my wifes brand new car sits in the weather with windows that dont roll up completely when you shut the door? She suggested that I put plastic over my windows/doors. I was like, did you seriously just tell me to do that to my brand new car? It actually pissed me off and she could tell. She said she was going to escalate the case and give it to a regional case manager and I can expect a phone call by 6pm tomorrow. We really like our car but by the looks of it these issues arent going to fix themselves. I personally think that we should be compensated for our troubles until the issue is resolved.

Oh, and I will not be putting plastic on my windows.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-06-2012 01:14 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by jwcardy View Post
      I personally think that we should be compensated for our troubles until the issue is resolved..
      That's why VWoA is offering people 2 payments. They offered it to me and 4 days later I had a check in hand. I thought that was more than fair, but my windows are at least going all the way up, even if it takes a couple of tries.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      08-06-2012 02:11 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by drtechy View Post
      That's why VWoA is offering people 2 payments. They offered it to me and 4 days later I had a check in hand. I thought that was more than fair, but my windows are at least going all the way up, even if it takes a couple of tries.
      2 payments will not cut it with me. what happens if it takes them a year to fix the issue? if your car gets rained in and you start having major electrical issues when after the car is out of warranty do you think that check you received will be enough to cover the fix?

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-06-2012 02:20 PM #126
      2 payments will not cut it with me. what happens if it takes them a year to fix the issue? if your car gets rained in and you start having major electrical issues when after the car is out of warranty do you think that check you received will be enough to cover the fix?
      Do you really think VW is going to have you hanging around that long for a fix? It takes time to track these types of issues down. You have VW, then you have the manufacturer of the part, then you have the programmers for the computers that control it, etc. There are so many people and departments you have to coordinate to find the fix, and then you have to supply all your dealerships worldwide with the parts before you tell customers to go get the fix. Or else you have screaming customers because the parts aren't available. Take a step back and look at it from the company's point of view and you'll understand. I have no concerns, two payments to me I think was more than sufficient, especially for something they are going to fix anyways.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      08-06-2012 03:24 PM #127
      Take a step back and look at it from the company's point of view and you'll understand.
      from the company's pov? really? im not trying to argue with you, but no I wont step back. every single 2012 and 2013 beetle is having issues...mine has had the issue from day one and it is frustrating...even more so when i call vw to have the issue addressed because my dealership blows me off and I am told to just cover my door with plastic so it doesnt rain in it. perhaps the only reason vw is working on a fix is because of the uproar here? have you thought about that? i have been told multiple times that there isnt an a fix nor is there a time frame on when it will be fixed. the more i think about it the more pissed i get. if you are satisfied with 2 monthly payments then so be it. i will not be. if it was as easy as taking my car to the dealer ship right now for a fix and whala its over, then i would be happy but it is. until there is a fix for the $20k car I just bought my wife, then I need to be compensated until there is. I was under the impression that the brand new car had no issues when it was purchased with 0.00 miles on it. Boy was I wrong. $20k is nothing to VW...it is to me...so they need to look at it from my POV

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-06-2012 03:42 PM #128
      from the company's pov? really? im not trying to argue with you, but no I wont step back. every single 2012 and 2013 beetle is having issues...mine has had the issue from day one and it is frustrating...even more so when i call vw to have the issue addressed because my dealership blows me off and I am told to just cover my door with plastic so it doesnt rain in it. perhaps the only reason vw is working on a fix is because of the uproar here? have you thought about that? i have been told multiple times that there isnt an a fix nor is there a time frame on when it will be fixed. the more i think about it the more pissed i get. if you are satisfied with 2 monthly payments then so be it. i will not be. if it was as easy as taking my car to the dealer ship right now for a fix and whala its over, then i would be happy but it is. until there is a fix for the $20k car I just bought my wife, then I need to be compensated until there is. I was under the impression that the brand new car had no issues when it was purchased with 0.00 miles on it. Boy was I wrong. $20k is nothing to VW...it is to me...so they need to look at it from my POV
      First I'm pretty sure the 2013's are fine, at least from what I've been reading. Number two, absolutely what that dealership told you is unacceptable. They should have never said that, and I would report that to VWoA immediately. I understand your POV believe me, I'm just trying to make you see the other side as well. And this is just a spirited discussion, no arguing here because to be honest none of us know what's really going on. I just know being on the technical side of things, that sometimes it takes months and months to figure one small problem out because you have so many cooks in the kitchen spread throughout the world.

Last thing buying a brand new car never guarantees a perfect vehicle (That's why warranties and lemon laws exist). That's why you see so many recalls and TSB's. And not to mention the hundreds that don't make it into the media.

At this point I really think you need to call VWoA and be honest with them. Explain things in a calm manner and I'm sure they will do their best to take care of you. Just don't blow up at them over the phone, that will get you no where, that I promise you.

Vehicles
      '15 GTI Autobahn
      08-06-2012 03:55 PM #129
      I only got offered one payment, and it's been awhile since then and I haven't got the check yet. I just got to the point I don't touch my driver window. I go inside instead of drive-thrus and try to avoid it at all costs.

25. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-06-2012 04:07 PM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by vdub10golf View Post
      I only got offered one payment, and it's been awhile since then and I haven't got the check yet. I just got to the point I don't touch my driver window. I go inside instead of drive-thrus and try to avoid it at all costs.
      Just got off the phone with my case manager...I was told I get NO restitution and that no one is getting any. Guy told me they are months away from a fix, that it's a software glitch and too bad for me.

I am sick of calling VWoA at this point, no one cares and this is easily the worst experience I've ever had with a car. Case managers never call back, you chase them down and get no answers. My dealer is basically refusing to do anything about it, so I can't file under consumer protection laws.

I probably did not help my case when my reply to the tenth "We are working very hard to fix this problem, I assure you" was no, you're busy building underwater Beetles for Shark Week. What can I say? I'm beyond angry.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-06-2012 04:09 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by jenn02 View Post
      Just got off the phone with my case manager...I was told I get NO restitution and that no one is getting any. Guy told me they are months away from a fix, that it's a software glitch and too bad for me.

I am sick of calling VWoA at this point, no one cares and this is easily the worst experience I've ever had with a car. Case managers never call back, you chase them down and get no answers. My dealer is basically refusing to do anything about it, so I can't file under consumer protection laws.

I probably did not help my case when my reply to the tenth "We are working very hard to fix this problem, I assure you" was no, you're busy building underwater Beetles for Shark Week. What can I say? I'm beyond angry.
      WoW, i guess there are some bad apples, but dam. I had such a wonderful case manager for mine. And even if your dealership won't do anything you can still be covered under lemon laws.

27. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-06-2012 04:21 PM #132
      WoW, i guess there are some bad apples, but dam. I had such a wonderful case manager for mine. And even if your dealership won't do anything you can still be covered under lemon laws.
      When I asked if there was someone else I could talk to, he said no. I asked him if he had a supervisor. Yes, but they would tell me the same thing until I "got out of the call center". When I asked how to do that, he said litigation.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-06-2012 04:23 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by jenn02 View Post
      When I asked if there was someone else I could talk to, he said no. I asked him if he had a supervisor. Yes, but they would tell me the same thing until I "got out of the call center". When I asked how to do that, he said litigation.
      I would call back and get someone else on the line, that's ridiculous

29. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-06-2012 04:27 PM #134
      I would call back and get someone else on the line, that's ridiculous
      This was my 5th call. I'm sure my name/case are flagged in a less than awesome way at this point.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      08-06-2012 04:51 PM #135
      At this point I really think you need to call VWoA and be honest with them. Explain things in a calm manner and I'm sure they will do their best to take care of you. Just don't blow up at them over the phone, that will get you no where, that I promise you.
      VWoA is who told me to put plastic on my windshield. I was nothing but pleasant up until that point. Im not one to insue confrontation but when pushed or when my niceness is taken advantage of mr hyde comes out for a visit. I did make an apt for wednesday to have the 4 issues we are having to be addressed so they are on record.

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 06:37 PM #136
      I've been waiting on my replacement car a 2012 JSW TDI for a month now... It was supposed to be delivered today, but they will call me by the end of the week with an update? What the hell does that mean? I asked for a time frame so I can work my schedule around picking it up, which I assume with take several hours dealing with paper work, confusion, insurance, lien holder, etc.

My windows are REALLY REALLY bad now. I had the TSB and new motors put in. Now every single time I try to roll up my window I will get the pinch protection issue, where I will have to fight it for a few minutes to roll up. Reseting the window only reenables auto function, which then gets hit by pinch protection again.

I am still getting the issue where the window will not synch back up into the seal.

I also am experiencing the passenger window rolling itself down.

People here say well VW bought yours back so quit complaining. Issue is I still have to drive the damn thing, and they are over a month late replacing it.

I also still have 13 other defects, but they are not related to this thread.

Good luck to all. VW really screwed up big time with these windows.

Did they knowingly release the B12 with the window issue?
      Aonarch's Blog!

32. Member
      Vehicles
      08-06-2012 07:36 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      I've been waiting on my replacement car a 2012 JSW TDI for a month now... It was supposed to be delivered today, but they will call me by the end of the week with an update? What the hell does that mean? I asked for a time frame so I can work my schedule around picking it up, which I assume with take several hours dealing with paper work, confusion, insurance, lien holder, etc.

My windows are REALLY REALLY bad now. I had the TSB and new motors put in. Now every single time I try to roll up my window I will get the pinch protection issue, where I will have to fight it for a few minutes to roll up. Reseting the window only reenables auto function, which then gets hit by pinch protection again.

I am still getting the issue where the window will not synch back up into the seal.

I also am experiencing the passenger window rolling itself down.

People here say well VW bought yours back so quit complaining. Issue is I still have to drive the damn thing, and they are over a month late replacing it.

I also still have 13 other defects, but they are not related to this thread.

Good luck to all. VW really screwed up big time with these windows.

Did they knowingly release the B12 with the window issue?
      So did they actually buy yours back or is that what they are telling you they are going to do once the car they promised you is delivered? Could they be putting you off with delivering your car in hopes that the window fix will come out and pull a "oh hey we can fix all the issues on your car now so we arent going to buy it back".

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 08:17 PM #138
      So did they actually buy yours back or is that what they are telling you they are going to do once the car they promised you is delivered? Could they be putting you off with delivering your car in hopes that the window fix will come out and pull a "oh hey we can fix all the issues on your car now so we arent going to buy it back".
      They have already swapped vins with my lien holder, so they better deliver. Not sure why they are so late though, my guess is they are just unorganized.
      Aonarch's Blog!

34. Member
      Vehicles
      08-06-2012 09:07 PM #139
      then a congrats are in order

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      08-07-2012 01:52 AM #140
      I came out yesterday morning (not that kind of coming out) to find both my windows down and a wet interior. Getting really really pissed off now.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast