Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL Beetle window issue thread

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      1994 honda civic
      08-14-2012 04:43 PM #176
      about to buy a 2013 beetle tdi. been reading about the window issue. just wanted to know if anyone is getting any reliable fix for this yet. still doing to buy the bug (no pun intended) but gee, would like to know they are fixing the problem. Just called my future service department to see if they have any news. thanks....

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-14-2012 06:43 PM #177
      Quote Originally Posted by graybug View Post
      about to buy a 2013 beetle tdi. been reading about the window issue. just wanted to know if anyone is getting any reliable fix for this yet. still doing to buy the bug (no pun intended) but gee, would like to know they are fixing the problem. Just called my future service department to see if they have any news. thanks....
      They have the fix completed. New software in the motor was the key to the problem. Problem is that the new motors are going, first, into the 2013 Beetles. Then, from what I heard on this site,
      it will be 6 - 8 weeks before the hundreds of motors needed for 2012 Beetles, that are listed as
      back-orders, will be filled. 2012 Beetles sitting on lots will most assuredly have the old motor. If
      it malfunctions after sale of the car then you would have to be placed on your service dept's list
      for a replacement.

3. 08-14-2012 10:15 PM #178
      Quote Originally Posted by ridgemanron View Post
      They have the fix completed. New software in the motor was the key to the problem. Problem is that the new motors are going, first, into the 2013 Beetles. Then, from what I heard on this site,
      it will be 6 - 8 weeks before the hundreds of motors needed for 2012 Beetles, that are listed as
      back-orders, will be filled. 2012 Beetles sitting on lots will most assuredly have the old motor. If
      it malfunctions after sale of the car then you would have to be placed on your service dept's list
      for a replacement.
      Right, my cousins b left port, and the salesman said they are checked for the caca windows prior to loading and has to be signed off, whatever.

Vehicles
      '15 GTI Autobahn
      08-15-2012 11:04 AM #179
      I got a huge surprise yesterday, my window went up on the first try! It's sad that this is exciting to me! lol. But of course I tried again and it didn't work.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-15-2012 12:08 PM #180
      Quote Originally Posted by vdub10golf View Post
      I got a huge surprise yesterday, my window went up on the first try! It's sad that this is exciting to me! lol. But of course I tried again and it didn't work.
      Try once more, for as Meatloaf said in his song, 'two out of three ain't bad!'

Vehicles
      '15 GTI Autobahn
      08-15-2012 12:21 PM #181
      Try once more, for as Meatloaf said in his song, 'two out of three ain't bad!'
      haha.

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo /2011 Boxster Spyder
      08-15-2012 07:21 PM #182
      Stopped by my dealer yesterday to see if he had an updated on the new window motor from Germany. He told me the VW Rep told him the motors would be released for shipment to the dealers in two weeks. He also told me that I am at the top of the list to get this repair done and would call me as soon as the motor arrives.
      2012 Beetle Turbo/Platinum Grey Metallic
      Gloss Black Racing Stripes/Turbo Side Stripe
      Sunroof/Premium Fender Sound System
      Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake Stage II
      APR Stage 1 ECU Tune/Rear Deck APR badging

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-15-2012 08:19 PM #183
      Quote Originally Posted by cbugrun View Post
      Stopped by my dealer yesterday to see if he had an updated on the new window motor from Germany. He told me the VW Rep told him the motors would be released for shipment to the dealers in two weeks. He also told me that I am at the top of the list to get this repair done and would call me as soon as the motor arrives.
      You might want to mention to him that VW was replacing guide gears (inexpensive plastic
      part) and then when the problem remained, the motor would be ordered. He should at least
      have his installer of the motor also check to see if the guide gears look worn, and if so,
      be ready to replace that part as well.

Vehicles
      08-16-2012 08:56 AM #184
      You might want to mention to him that VW was replacing guide gears (inexpensive plastic
      part) and then when the problem remained, the motor would be ordered. He should at least
      have his installer of the motor also check to see if the guide gears look worn, and if so,
      be ready to replace that part as well.

Thanks. Will do. My service writer is also an avid reader of this forum and has been fowling this thread closely.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 NB Turbo Sport ; 2010 NB Red Rock; 2012 Beetle-Base-RedTurbo
      08-16-2012 02:06 PM #185
      Quote Originally Posted by cbugrun View Post
      My service writer is also an avid reader of this forum and has been fowling this thread closely.
      You are so lucky, because the service department at Northland VW, Cincinnati, OH, has no clue! First, it has been over a week since they ordered the gears for me. Second, yesterday while I was there looking at a 2013 beetle, they told me there is no fix to the window issue and kept insisting on that after I mentioned new motors with new software is the fix. They do not follow this forum at all!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 02:17 PM #186
      for a replacement.
      Accordign to Northland, VW, as of yesterday, there is no fix to the window problem. It is very clear that this dealer has no clue!!!! It is so frustrating that depending on the dealership and its size, the information is different. VW needs to send the same info to ALL its dealers!!!! I am changing dealers and going back to Columbus for service (an hour and a half away).

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-16-2012 02:27 PM #187
      Quote Originally Posted by ltlebug View Post
      Accordign to Northland, VW, as of yesterday, there is no fix to the window problem. It is very clear that this dealer has no clue!!!! It is so frustrating that depending on the dealership and its size, the information is different. VW needs to send the same info to ALL its dealers!!!! I am changing dealers and going back to Columbus for service (an hour and a half away).
      Since the driver's side window motor's part number hasn't changed, see to it that the parts
      dept places an order for #5C5-959-801-D-Z01 and see if they can tell you when it would
      be expected to arrive? They are no longer allowing the malfunctioning motors to be released
      so any projected arrival shipping information they get on their computers will concern only the
      new motors.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 02:48 PM #188
      Since the driver's side window motor's part number hasn't changed, see to it that the parts
      dept places an order for #5C5-959-801-D-Z01 and see if they can tell you when it would
      be expected to arrive? They are no longer allowing the malfunctioning motors to be released
      so any projected arrival shipping information they get on their computers will concern only the
      new motors.
      Thank you! I am putting a call in for the dealer in Columbus and see if they will place the order for me.

Vehicles
      2012 2.5L Beetle, 2006 2.5L New Beetle, 1998 New Beetle
      08-16-2012 04:21 PM #189
      Quote Originally Posted by ltlebug View Post
      You are so lucky, because the service department at Northland VW, Cincinnati, OH, has no clue! First, it has been over a week since they ordered the gears for me. Second, yesterday while I was there looking at a 2013 beetle, they told me there is no fix to the window issue and kept insisting on that after I mentioned new motors with new software is the fix. They do not follow this forum at all!
      Don't think there is a new solution to the window. Programming up to date/new gears/new motor...

same problem after a week or two...
      "Just look at those wheels!"

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-16-2012 05:45 PM #190
      Quote Originally Posted by the beet View Post
      Don't think there is a new solution to the window. Programming up to date/new gears/new motor...

same problem after a week or two...
      Coupled with the fact that my windows are now working properly, after the motor with the
      new software in it was replaced a week ago, it must be noted that my motor replacement
      was flown in 'Red Flag' rush from Germany and it would be lunacy on VW's part to do this
      for a motor that was not one they have deemed as solving the problem. My VW dealer's
      chief mechanic told me flat out, 'the problem was the software and that has been corrected!'
      These 'new software' motors are in the 2013 Beetles that are arriving on the dealer lots as
      I speak and should, shortly, be arriving for the 2012's waiting for them.

Vehicles
      2012 2.5L Beetle, 2006 2.5L New Beetle, 1998 New Beetle
      08-16-2012 06:17 PM #191
      Coupled with the fact that my windows are now working properly, after the motor with the
      new software in it was replaced a week ago, it must be noted that my motor replacement
      was flown in 'Red Flag' rush from Germany and it would be lunacy on VW's part to do this
      for a motor that was not one they have deemed as solving the problem. My VW dealer's
      chief mechanic told me flat out, 'the problem was the software and that has been corrected!'
      These 'new software' motors are in the 2013 Beetles that are arriving on the dealer lots as
      I speak and should, shortly, be arriving for the 2012's waiting for them.
      I hope you are correct...
      "Just look at those wheels!"

17. 08-16-2012 07:26 PM #192
      I heard dealers are sending techs to some special training for window repair.

I think they are going to start some campaign soon. Window mechanisms are more complex for the average Joe tech. Just that feeling

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-16-2012 08:40 PM #193
      Quote Originally Posted by Babie View Post

I think they are going to start some campaign soon. Window mechanisms are more complex for the average Joe tech. Just that feeling
      Was told by the installer of my motor that there are specific installation instructions that all
      VW mechanics have access to. If need be, ask your service mgr to confirm that his mechanics
      have this info at hand. I don't believe they should have to contact a VW mechanic who installed
      the new motor but in the event they do, they can call or fax Bay Ridge Volkswagen in Brooklyn,
      N.Y. and direct their communication to Service Dept - Attn: Gus (Mechanic).

19. 08-16-2012 09:51 PM #194
      Was told by the installer of my motor that there are specific installation instructions that all
      VW mechanics have access to. If need be, ask your service mgr to confirm that his mechanics
      have this info at hand. I don't believe they should have to contact a VW mechanic who installed
      the new motor but in the event they do, they can call or fax Bay Ridge Volkswagen in Brooklyn,
      N.Y. and direct their communication to Service Dept - Attn: Gus (Mechanic).
      Wow great info.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI and 1987 Scirocco 16V
      08-17-2012 10:07 AM #195

Or maybe they know this is a very sensitive issue and are ensuring the work is done correctly the first time to make sure owners don't have to come back a second time. Unlike what happened with the first TSB for the windows that didn't work.

Just a thought.

21. 08-17-2012 07:22 PM #196
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      Or maybe they know this is a very sensitive issue and are ensuring the work is done correctly the first time to make sure owners don't have to come back a second time. Unlike what happened with the first TSB for the windows that didn't work.

Just a thought.
      That is what I think to, and to cut redo cost.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Mustang GT Premium; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      08-18-2012 10:46 AM #197
      Anther window thread? Seriously? Give it a rest already.
      Last edited by puma1552; 08-18-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typo

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 03:06 PM #198
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Anther window thread? Seriously? Give it a rest ready.

My sentiments exactly. Now that we know there is a fix you would thing people would just shut up and wait for the call to get their windows repaired. Apparently not! What did we ever do without the internet. A lot less whining back then.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-18-2012 03:23 PM #199
      Until some concrete information as to when delivery at the dealers is supposed to be
      happening, owners with the problem window motor will continue to discuss amongst
      themselves the latest information available. I've heard everything from 'arriving in
      August' to 'expected in six to eight weeks'. Since they are coming out of Germany,
      someone able to contact VW there for information would go a long way in helping
      the situation. I still am amazed at how a Brooklyn dealership was able to send a 'Red
      Flag Rush' request for the motor to Germany and actually get them to ship one so
      that it would arrive about four days later, which is also when it was installed. P.S. - It
      has been a little over one week since the install and all continues to go well. Hope you
      guys & gals get yours soon !

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle 2.0 Turbo
      08-19-2012 02:08 PM #200
      Still having issues. VW said to TAPE the window shut. They are screwing with the wrong person... I know my stuff and am not an idiot who just drives a car mindlessly in a fog.

I will NEVER own another VW or anything made in MEXICO... Their country has turned to complete crap why did we think they could make a car correctly?

I called a guy today about Vinyl Wrapping the beetle all YELLOW and print a bunch of the crap they have told us to do and make it known that their cars are garbage with no customer service. I'll let my fiancee drive my truck and I'll drive this piece of crap everywhere I can and park it next to the dealership if possible.

I really hope people would start spreading the BS they are telling us and reach out to as many people as possible.. I will bad mouth VW till the day I die

26. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Beetle 2.5l
      08-19-2012 02:19 PM #201
      for a replacement.
      Thanks for the info. I'm scheduled to go Wednesday to have them look at it, I'll have to bring info from here when I go. When I called last week that had no idea about a window issue

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-19-2012 04:02 PM #202
      Don't know if this is something of importance but when I dropped my car off at the
      service dept for a motor that was then found to be the wrong motor, I refused to
      take the car, telling them I couldn't use it if the window could come down at any
      time, without warning. That was when I received a call at home telling me that they
      had 'Red Flag' rush ordered a new motor for the 2013's to be shipped in from Germany.
      Perhaps the fact I was leaving the car in one of their 'work' bays with the inner door
      dismantled, allowed them to get permission for the special order to be rushed in. In
      any event, I have a proper functioning window for over a week now.

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle 2.0 Turbo
      08-19-2012 06:16 PM #203
      Don't know if this is something of importance but when I dropped my car off at the
      service dept for a motor that was then found to be the wrong motor, I refused to
      take the car, telling them I couldn't use it if the window could come down at any
      time, without warning. That was when I received a call at home telling me that they
      had 'Red Flag' rush ordered a new motor for the 2013's to be shipped in from Germany.
      Perhaps the fact I was leaving the car in one of their 'work' bays with the inner door
      dismantled, allowed them to get permission for the special order to be rushed in. In
      any event, I have a proper functioning window for over a week now.
      I hope that works because im doing the same thing tomorrow. Im dropping the car off and they are going to do something or pay my monthly payments until its fixed.

I refuse to take it home again, they dealed with my fiancee now they are dealing with me. I feel bad for the manager at this place, im going to give him hell.

On another forum im on a guy there is a parts manager at a dealership. I am going to ask him if the part numbers for the window motors on the 12 and 13 are the same or different. I have read multiple places that they are the same.

If it fixes yours please let us know. Try and get any part numbers if you can be to possibly help us.. it would be appreciated

29. 08-19-2012 07:25 PM #204
      Quote Originally Posted by TexasBulldog View Post
      I hope that works because im doing the same thing tomorrow. Im dropping the car off and they are going to do something or pay my monthly payments until its fixed.

I refuse to take it home again, they dealed with my fiancee now they are dealing with me. I feel bad for the manager at this place, im going to give him hell.

On another forum im on a guy there is a parts manager at a dealership. I am going to ask him if the part numbers for the window motors on the 12 and 13 are the same or different. I have read multiple places that they are the same.

If it fixes yours please let us know. Try and get any part numbers if you can be to possibly help us.. it would be appreciated
      My BF says, it does not matter what the part number is, as long as they are marked Made in Germany on the box. Ones made in Mexico were not putting out enough torque, oooops.

Well, I feel for ya, cause is sucks to pay for something not right, I hear VWOA is overwhelmed with calls about this. The poor reps did not make this car, the blame goes to some engineers.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-19-2012 09:30 PM #205
      The part number hasn't changed. It is #5C5-959-801-D-Z01 . The ones from Germany
      have new, improved software built into the motor itself.

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle 2.0 Turbo
      08-20-2012 12:35 AM #206
      My BF says, it does not matter what the part number is, as long as they are marked Made in Germany on the box. Ones made in Mexico were not putting out enough torque, oooops.

Well, I feel for ya, cause is sucks to pay for something not right, I hear VWOA is overwhelmed with calls about this. The poor reps did not make this car, the blame goes to some engineers.
      Yeah but it was their great "Cost cutting measure" to send manufacturing to MEXICO to save a buck. I can blame the Engineers because i am a mechanic and they don't give a crap on how difficult some parts are to get to or ridiculous it is to put them there so long as it fits lol...

VW was wrong in putting out this car with this being a known problem. The 2013's are already out and still no fix that is pure greed and not giving a rats ass about the customer.

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle 2.0 Turbo
      08-20-2012 12:38 AM #207
      The part number hasn't changed. It is #5C5-959-801-D-Z01 . The ones from Germany
      have new, improved software built into the motor itself.
      I want to get my hands on one of these motors. I want to look into them and see if i can work around all the BS and just get 12 volts to 1 leg and then another when you use the switch. I don't want software in it, i don't want "Pinch Protection" we are bubble wrapping the world for stupid people and its ridiculous. You put your finger in it and it will hurt, don't do it next time

33. 08-20-2012 01:37 AM #208
      Quote Originally Posted by TexasBulldog View Post
      Yeah but it was their great "Cost cutting measure" to send manufacturing to MEXICO to save a buck. I can blame the Engineers because i am a mechanic and they don't give a crap on how difficult some parts are to get to or ridiculous it is to put them there so long as it fits lol...

VW was wrong in putting out this car with this being a known problem. The 2013's are already out and still no fix that is pure greed and not giving a rats ass about the customer.
      13 don't have the issue.

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle 2.0 Turbo
      08-20-2012 03:00 AM #209
      13 don't have the issue.
      Ive read some here say they did???

35. 08-20-2012 11:30 AM #210
      Hello all.

does anyone know if replacing the pinch sensor with another from another VW car helps and if other motors from other cars Example: Nissan will it fit in the 2012 Beetle? The reason I ask I have a older Nissan car from the 90's and it has power windows and they still work today, 19 years later still good, this is why I am asking,
      And can the power windows be rewired to bypass the pinch sensor.

thanks

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast