Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Samurai Diesel Rebuild

1. 08-02-2012 09:33 AM #1
      Hey everyone, new to the site as you can see. I have a 1.6 Turbo diesel, installed in a 1987 Samurai. It started getting really hot on my lately , 240-250 degrees, and seeing how i didnt rebuild the engine when i put it in the truck i think i will now.

I have some extra cash laying arond and would like to put some into my engine, SO my question is, where is a good place to get parts for this engine. I would like to also do some performance upgrades as well, I am running 31 inch tires. SO let me know what you got. Thanks

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      08-02-2012 01:46 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by mattrose87 View Post
      Hey everyone, new to the site as you can see. I have a 1.6 Turbo diesel, installed in a 1987 Samurai. It started getting really hot on my lately , 240-250 degrees, and seeing how i didnt rebuild the engine when i put it in the truck i think i will now.

I have some extra cash laying arond and would like to put some into my engine, SO my question is, where is a good place to get parts for this engine. I would like to also do some performance upgrades as well, I am running 31 inch tires. SO let me know what you got. Thanks
      myself personally, i would figure out why it gets hot, rather than do a full rebuild because of it..

VW engines usually dont overheat for no reason, and they sure dont overheat just because they are worn out..

if it starts good cold, and hasnt warped a head yet, just fix it and run it..

or does it NEED a rebuild?

3. 08-02-2012 02:04 PM #3
      I tried I few things , t-stat, water pump, belt, changed coolant, runs normal in the woods and around town but anything over 40 MPH it wants to bury my gauge. So I was thinking head gasket. I work on alot of cat and Cummins engines, but this is my first VW.

I'm ready for a little more power any way. So any suggestions would be great

4. 08-02-2012 02:10 PM #4
      Oh yea and the guy I bought the engine from had it in a Jetta, he replaced the gas engine with this one, and after he wrecked the car I bought the engine, he said it had 200,000+ before he put it in his car, so I think a rebuild wild be ok

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      08-02-2012 02:49 PM #5
      Cooling fan working properly?
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

6. 08-02-2012 03:55 PM #6
      Cooling fan is working and I also have a Manuel override to let it run when I want, truck has a new 22inch Rad. From Acme adapters, with 10 and 12 inch electric fans, also, is it normal to only hold about 2 gal of coolant?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      08-02-2012 03:58 PM #7
      Cooling fan is working and I also have a Manuel override to let it run when I want, truck has a new 22inch Rad. From Acme adapters, with 10 and 12 inch electric fans, also, is it normal to only hold about 2 gal of coolant?
      yea, about 2 gals, give or take..

my car has been doing the same thing, getting warm at freeway speeds..

im thinking it is the head gasket starting to go as well..

what do you have done to your engine already? anything?

just making it breath easier will make a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

there are a few mods you can do to the injection pump to make it REAL FUN

8. 08-02-2012 07:05 PM #8
      i have a smaller k/n air filter, i modified a vw intake hose. the filter could be bigger, but i had a hard time finding this one. Thats what i want to hear about the pump, what do you do to them, also maybe some larger injectors, maybe a different turbo. skys the limit

9. 08-02-2012 10:56 PM #9
      I also turned the fuel screw about 1/2 turn, I got the engine out will probably start tearing down tomorrow or next day. where is the best place for replacement parts?

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      08-03-2012 09:43 AM #10
      We got a lot of our rebuild parts from autohausaz.com IIRC.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      08-03-2012 01:36 PM #11
      i have a smaller k/n air filter, i modified a vw intake hose. the filter could be bigger, but i had a hard time finding this one. Thats what i want to hear about the pump, what do you do to them, also maybe some larger injectors, maybe a different turbo. skys the limit
      bigger injectors in a VW diesel is the biggest waste of time ever... the nozzles in the engine now are capable of flowing way more fuel than the engine could ever burn..

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=24323.0

click that link, follow the directions, enjoy.

12. 08-04-2012 01:26 PM #12
      OK fuel is taken care of, can i also change the head on the pump? And what would be the best Turbo to run, oh yea and I have a small problem now top half broke off the #2 glow plug, any suggestions ,

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08-04-2012 02:20 PM #13
      OK fuel is taken care of, can i also change the head on the pump? And what would be the best Turbo to run, oh yea and I have a small problem now top half broke off the #2 glow plug, any suggestions ,
      start trying to extract it.. you need a good one in there..

there is no reason to put a bigger head and plunger in the pump.. the 9mm is more than enough for most people.. if you feel the need to take your engine to the edge of its capabilities, then go for a bigger head, plunger, and turbo..

governor mod is the most fun mod you can do..

14. 08-05-2012 05:03 PM #14
      well no luck on extracting, gunna take the head to my local welding shop and see what he can do. in the mean time im shopping around for a new head. can i use a hydraulic head? also can i add an intercooler? im pretty sure one from a saab 900 will work. i just really want this thing to have the most power i can get out of it.

15. 08-06-2012 11:27 PM #15
      For the over heat issue. This is what one of our guys found on his rover. Read the entire thread *2 pages, so not bad* and see if the symtoms are the same as what you have.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=30436.0
      I like 1.6l and 1.9l Diesels