Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: OBD2 code P0431, warmup cat below threshold

1. 08-02-2012 12:03 PM #1
      Have this code for bank #2. Car is 2002, 150K, owned since new, well maintained. Internet search comes up with this suggestion: unscrew the oxygen sensor and screw in a sparkplug non-fouler into the cat; then screw oxygen sensor back in.

1. Has anyone tried this with any success?
      2. Will this cause any issues for timing or fuel injection? I will try this but the non-fouler must first be drilled out so the oxy sensor can fit. I need to order proper size drill bit first.
      3. What is the cause for this code?
      4. What is proper fix?

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      08-02-2012 11:31 PM #2
      If you can have the software level checked, there is a computer update at the dealer for that code.
      But yes, you can install a O2 sensor spacer and call it a day.
      VW accidentally programmed the incorrect ratios for a faulty catalytic converter into the ECM causing the code to come on even though the cat has not failed. I have been driving 3 years with that code, no changes in MPG or performance.
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT-R 225Q, 2009 VW Tiguan SE, 2000 Passat GLS 30v V6 Wagon
      08-04-2012 09:19 AM #3
      Just picked up a 2000 with te 30v 2.8 and I am having the same problem. However, it lists both cats and the funny thing is cats are newer, as are the o2 sensors...

So, for the software...will VW still honor the TSB?

If not and I use the foulers...are they installed in the precat bank or post?

Joe

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      08-04-2012 10:46 PM #4
      you have to pay for them to reflash the ecm. They should still have the disks (even though from 2003).
      It is only applicable for a few engine control modules from 99-02 2.8
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.