Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 Jetta VR6 over heating

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001/VW/Jetta VR6
      08-02-2012 04:43 PM #1
      I have a 2001 Jetta Vr6, im not sure if its a 12v or 24v. my car wont overheat if i drive without the ac, unless its really hot out, but if i turn on my ac i can drive about 15 minutes or so on the street before it starts to overheat. the car wont overheat on the express way. i can have the ac full blast on the express way and not overheat which is weird. i do not see anything leaking. i checked the oil. it has antifreeze, but i still have no clue. if anyone can direct me as to what they think it is. its is highly appreciated. thank you in advance.
      Last edited by OcelotlVR6; 08-03-2012 at 02:42 PM.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI
      08-09-2012 11:15 AM #2
      First, if you didn't swapped engine you may have a 12v just check if you have individual coils or a coilpack and 6 plug wires. You may have a problem with the tensionner, water pump or serpentine belt you should start by checking in this area. Any lights turning on in cluster when it happens?

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      08-09-2012 07:26 PM #3
      Could also be the rad fans. Sounds like it doesn't overheat when travelling at high speeds, because there is lots of airflow. Maybe the high speed of the fans isn't working, which explains why it isn't always overheating. The high speed would likely kick in if you were using the AC on a hot day to keep the car cool.

And yes, based on the year you have a 12v
      VR Alliance #38

Vehicles
      2003 GLI ,1994 Jetta GL.
      08-11-2012 12:52 PM #4
      when was the last time you did any kind of service to the cooling system? maybe and overhaul of themo hsg. crackpipe and thermo itself is in order.... Possible water pump impeller.some of the older pumps had impeller failures...

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001/VW/Jetta VR6
      08-24-2012 12:32 PM #5
      sorry to reply late but thank you everyone. and thank you Fundaze. when i saw the comment i went to check and what do you know one of my fans is not working. bummer got it fixed though. everything works fine now. thanks everyone really appreciate it.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001/VW/Jetta VR6
      08-24-2012 12:33 PM #6
      thank you very much you were correct highly appreciate it

7. 08-27-2012 07:48 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by OcelotlVR6 View Post
      sorry to reply late but thank you everyone. and thank you Fundaze. when i saw the comment i went to check and what do you know one of my fans is not working. bummer got it fixed though. everything works fine now. thanks everyone really appreciate it.
      Was the failed fan the larger of the two fans located on the left side of the engine compartment?

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      08-29-2012 01:17 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by OcelotlVR6 View Post
      No worries man,

Glad I could help
      VR Alliance #38