Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 05 gli suspension pop

1. Member
      Vehicles
      05 Jetta GLI Stage 1 GIAC
      08-02-2012 06:27 PM #1
      I have a 2005 jetta GLI with the stock suspension on it and every time i turn or if i go over a bump i hear this popping sound coming from the right from tire. I tried to take it to 3 different shops and all three said there is nothing they can see that is wrong with it. The last shop that i recently took it to today said they had to replace a lower ball joint and that is what was causing the noise. The moment that i drove it out of the lot i heard the popping sound again. My front right tire which was new 8 months ago is totally bald and the left front tire is not in the best shape. They people at the shop told me that because the ball joint was out it caused the whole front suspension to be out of alignment and that's why the tire went bald. I just took it to the alignment/suspension shop this morning and i also had them try and look at the suspension to see what they could figure out. All they could tell me was that the suspension in the front was put of balance pretty badly but everything else was perfectly fine. They said that they couldn't find out why it was making those popping noises, and they everything under the car looks to be in good shape. Can someone please help me because this is driving me crazy. I've had this popping sound for a year now and not a shop can find out why its making this sound.

Thanks i really appreciate the help, im running out of money and patience for this problem.

Nicholas

Vehicles
      05 GLI
      08-02-2012 09:02 PM #2
      I cant offer much relieve but I can tell you I have the same car, 05' (mk4) GLI. Mines on Koni Yellow/Nuespeed Race springs and I starting getting that same popping noise early this year which was 1 year after I had that set up installed. I did the same thing you did to try and find out the issue and cure it. At first I thought it was ball joints or lower control arm bushings but the shop couldnt pin point it either. At that time I needed to replace my upper strut bushings and bearings cuz they wear out fast when you drop ur car. As soon as I did that the sound went away. I think it was the bearing in the upper strut bushing that was crushed and making the sound.

Now, 9 months later, I'm getting the sound again but even worse. Its coming from the right side as well. If I was you I'd try and replace the strut bushings first as they are the cheapest and also the easiest to do. If that makes it stop then wala!! If not then I donno.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
      DSG is awesome, sorry.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      08-03-2012 12:14 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by iSpeed View Post
      I cant offer much relieve but I can tell you I have the same car, 05' (mk4) GLI. Mines on Koni Yellow/Nuespeed Race springs and I starting getting that same popping noise early this year which was 1 year after I had that set up installed. I did the same thing you did to try and find out the issue and cure it. At first I thought it was ball joints or lower control arm bushings but the shop couldnt pin point it either. At that time I needed to replace my upper strut bushings and bearings cuz they wear out fast when you drop ur car. As soon as I did that the sound went away. I think it was the bearing in the upper strut bushing that was crushed and making the sound.

Now, 9 months later, I'm getting the sound again but even worse. Its coming from the right side as well. If I was you I'd try and replace the strut bushings first as they are the cheapest and also the easiest to do. If that makes it stop then wala!! If not then I donno.
      Thats not a bad idea at all. Did you replace the upper strut bearings your self? If so, was it that bad to do and who did you go with for replacements?

Thanks i really appreciate the response because i literally was going crazy trying to figure this out! Also sorry to hear that your VW is making that sound again!

Nicholas

Vehicles
      05 GLI
      08-03-2012 04:31 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Ncroix70 View Post
      Thats not a bad idea at all. Did you replace the upper strut bearings your self? If so, was it that bad to do and who did you go with for replacements?

Thanks i really appreciate the response because i literally was going crazy trying to figure this out! Also sorry to hear that your VW is making that sound again!

Nicholas
      I do all my own suspension installing because its easy stuff. As for alignments I take those to the experts. Any Checker Auto Parts store will carry the bushings. I was told to get the VR6 bushings as they last longer than the 1.8t because they are stiffer. I cant confirm that though.

Its really easy to do the upper strut bushing at home. With my current set up I dont even have to take the strut out of the lower strut seat to change them cuz my springs are not as high as the factory springs are so you may have to take yours out completely. Some people would say you need a spring compressor but I would disagree as I dont use one. You will need a high impact gun to crack the upper strut nut loose. After that its all easy stuff.

1. Crack upper strut nut while car is on the ground but dont fully remove it.
      2. Jack car up properly with stands.
      3. Remove front wheels.
      4. Use a jack to raise the control arm and compress the strut and spring. You dont need to compress it much. Just enough to how the spring in place up in the upper strut housing. Be careful not to raise it to far and lift the car off the stand(s).
      5. Remove the upper strut nut and cup.
      6. Use impact wrench to remove upper bushing nut.
      7. SLOWLY bring down the jack under the control arm to get at the bushing.
      8. Remember how the old bushing came out and replace it with new bushing and bearings.
      9. If you cant get at the bushing after you have released the jack completely then you will have to remove the strut entirely.
      10. Put it all back together and WALLA!

Hope that helps and good luck!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
      DSG is awesome, sorry.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      08-06-2012 09:18 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by iSpeed View Post
      I do all my own suspension installing because its easy stuff. As for alignments I take those to the experts. Any Checker Auto Parts store will carry the bushings. I was told to get the VR6 bushings as they last longer than the 1.8t because they are stiffer. I cant confirm that though.

Its really easy to do the upper strut bushing at home. With my current set up I dont even have to take the strut out of the lower strut seat to change them cuz my springs are not as high as the factory springs are so you may have to take yours out completely. Some people would say you need a spring compressor but I would disagree as I dont use one. You will need a high impact gun to crack the upper strut nut loose. After that its all easy stuff.

1. Crack upper strut nut while car is on the ground but dont fully remove it.
      2. Jack car up properly with stands.
      3. Remove front wheels.
      4. Use a jack to raise the control arm and compress the strut and spring. You dont need to compress it much. Just enough to how the spring in place up in the upper strut housing. Be careful not to raise it to far and lift the car off the stand(s).
      5. Remove the upper strut nut and cup.
      6. Use impact wrench to remove upper bushing nut.
      7. SLOWLY bring down the jack under the control arm to get at the bushing.
      8. Remember how the old bushing came out and replace it with new bushing and bearings.
      9. If you cant get at the bushing after you have released the jack completely then you will have to remove the strut entirely.
      10. Put it all back together and WALLA!

Hope that helps and good luck!!!
      This is awesome!

Thank you so much for taking the time to prepare this step by step! im going to get right on this as soon as i have time. Can you suggest on where i should get the bushing and the bearings?

Thank you so much,

Nicholas

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      08-30-2012 03:30 PM #6
      go to germanautoparts.com or ecstuning.com
      that's where i get some of my parts. i think what you need is strut mount only. bearings doesn't get crushed at all. also, since you will be taking it apart, test your front strut if it is still in good condition. you definitely need a spring compressor to properly remove it safely. always use caution when doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ncroix70 View Post
      This is awesome!

Thank you so much for taking the time to prepare this step by step! im going to get right on this as soon as i have time. Can you suggest on where i should get the bushing and the bearings?

Thank you so much,

Nicholas