Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Should i buy this '02 GTI?

1. 08-02-2012 09:49 PM #1
      ok, so i work at a toyota dealership and somebody traded an '02 1.8t GTI with 124,xxx mi and it needs a rear wheel bearing and a front ball joint and a whole lot of tlc. they hit a deer and it has a new primered black front bumper and is in need of a dash because the airbag deployed on the passenger side. needless to say, they traded it for 500 dollars and i priced all the parts that it would need to pass inspection which comes to about 500$. it could be a fun project for me, but is it worth it? it is still very driveable right now as i was driving it around in the parking lot at work today. any input is helpful. Thanks!

2. 08-03-2012 12:41 AM #2
      GTI's are fickle cars when in comes to quality/reliability

you'll love zooming, and then something goes kaput

or you think its going kaput, and it'll drive wonderfully

and this is with a properly maintained one w/o an accident

so a GTI over 100k miles , in accident that deployed airbag

hell motherf no

3. 08-03-2012 01:31 AM #3
      Early MKIV's, read 1999.5-2002, were/are prone to all sorts of small weird/finniky things that will nickle and dime you to . If you don't mind working on it, then go for it. However, if you want a "reliable" car, I'd look elsewhere. If the airbags deployed, there are bound to be some serious issues with the car.

4. 08-03-2012 11:55 AM #4
      however, i did forget to mention that this will be my 'beater' car. i understand about all the problems, but im just looking for something to mess around in.